Which Screws for Pocket Clip?

I've got a few knives I'm going to be adding pocket clips to, primarily a Buck 110, but also a few others. I know that the typical pocket clip screw uses a T6 bit but what size and thread are they? Looking at knife making sites I see a ton of screws but many of them don't even list a thread for them, and I'll be needing to have the correct D/T setup for the screws, so I need to know the threads ahead of time. So is there a standard? or can someone recommend one? I can do the work just fine, but I don't want to end up with screws that don't fit the hole I just tapped, and I'm not exactly familiar with the thread sizes on screws that tiny..

Factory clip screws vary by manufacturer, but looking at knifekits.com's pocket clip selection, they all appear to be designed for M2.5x.45 or 2-56 screws. That seems about par for the course. Get yourself a #50 drill bit and a 2-56 tap, and you're all set. You could also bump it up to a #43 bit and 4-40 tap and screws if you wanted to. I wouldn't go any larger. For reference, 2-56 is .086" diameter and 4-40 is .112". If you want to go metric, M2.5x.45 is the size of 2-56, and M3x.5 doubles for 4-40. :thumbup:

No problemo. :thumbup: Just for clarification: if you go metric, you can use the same drill bits for the holes, but you'd want to use the proper 2.5 or 3mm metric taps. I didn't mean to imply that the imperial and metric screws were identical, just of the same general diameter. Since you're doing a 110, I'd assume you'll go imperial, but I don't want to cause confusion or problems for anyone who may be looking at the metric option. :thumbup:

Back