Which sprint run steel do you want most?

Hmmmm 20CV or M390 for stainless. Really curious to see how the Z-Wear is going to perform on the new shaman though, IF I can get one

Sage 5 with tool steel. Maybe a dlc coating
I would LOVE a Sage 5 like this! I have modified my last 3 and have a 4th on the way.
First 2, I modified the spine, to shape the blade like a Para 3. The last one, more like a Stretch-ish, look.

https://imgur.com/a/m2QxcBc

So I would rather actually Not see this one in DLC.. (which is odd!)
As my EDC rotation is all DLC, in different blade steel's or acid etch'd s30v.(minus the V-toku2 Endura and Hap40 Stretch. They don't get carried as much(my Delica is Hap40))
https://imgur.com/a/lSkvaHM

A kapara in Maxamet or any super-super steel tbh

Yes please!!!! This has actually taken the place of the Sage and a handful of others.

It was to originally replace my Ikuchi, as my 32oz prime rib, Friday night dinner knife. But after some modding, it took it's place in my EDC rotation and more time in my pocket!

https://imgur.com/a/KwnVJGS

With a cutting edge, just a quarter inch shorter than a Military and a handle a ⅛" shorter then a PM2, it's awesome!

Would also like to see a "Mini Kapara".. Handle length around the Para 3/Sage 5, size.
Would still leave Loads of cutting edge, like an Ikuchi.

M390 pushed to a higher HRC.
OR
CTS-204P (carpenter’s similar “M390”)

If it’s a pocket knife, and used everyday, M390 (at least for me) has been great with its corrosion resistance and edge holding.

Definitely would like to see more models released with M390 and/or CTS204P.

It’s not a foreign steel used by Spyderco either ;)

We've seen collaboration with Lionsteel, why not a collab with Sandrin Knives? Would be cool to see a Spyderco design with Sandrin's tungsten carbide blade.

That would be pretty nifty.

Honestly, not many knife makers deal with tungsten carbide blades, and even fewer (I assume) are able to do so very well.

If the price was right, I'd be interested. But I'm not willing to spend a lot on something I don't have the equipment to sharp (or likely ever will)

Vanax wold be the next logical step after LC200N. Other than that - I think Spyderco does pretty well steel-wise - and more importantly HT-wise. Also - they don't seem to burn edges in the production as much as some other companies (sometimes seem to) do. Watching the oupost 76 video was quite eye opening.

I would like to see more stuff like ZDP-198 and k390. I don't know their business case, but maybe moving on from S30VN for their 'standard better steel' could slowly happen. But one needs to admit, that other than hard use knives, this wishes are mostly steel snobbery (I mean myself here). My kitchen knives (with an exception of a few custom pieces are all made in Japan) are made from MUCH simpler carbon steels and I use them daily.

I would settle for Vanax over Vanadis 8, but I'd really prefer the Vanadis 8

someone remind me of the stuff you give people at Spyderco to make them do one's bidding?

simple, clean low alloy steels do have a lot going for them, but they ain't the be all end all of what makes a sharp blade fun, huh?!?

that is part of why I'm always grateful to be carrying a Spyderco

Many people are asking for LC200N, and I wonder why. My Caribbean is my favorite knife in spite of using LC200N, not because of it. This steel is so soft and weak it literally rolled the edge just cutting light cardboard. It will not support a 15 degree per side edge. After lots of sharpening it seems to improve, but not still has less edge holding than 8Cr13MoV. Yes, corrosion resistance is top notch. But it's the corrosion resistant hardware that lets you get it wet, not the blade. Also it takes a very fine edge - just not as fine/sharp as a Chinese Spyderco. Good thing it's easy to sharpen, because you'll be doing it a lot. The Caribbean would be much better off with a better steel that's highly corrosion resistant, such as M390 or S110V.
I would strongly recommend against LC200N unless for salt water use or to wash in a dishwasher. Even then I'm not sure I'd use it.
I'm curious, why do people like it so much?

The steel I'd like to try is AEB-L. It's very tough, has decent edge holding. But mostly it's said to easily get a very fine edge. I like to get my knives very sharp. I've noticed that simple stainlesses like 4116 get very sharp but I don't know why.

Another steel I'd like to see is 3V or 4V. 3V is super tough and has very good edge retention. But where it really shines is in sharpenability. It gets wickedly sharp just with a Sharpmaker. No diamond stones or pastes needed. At least for Cold Steel 3V anyway.

My LC200N knife is a Spidiechef and it's edge holding is peerless. I suspect a lot of folks have had the same results and that's why they want to see more of that steel.

My 2 fav sprint steels have been M4 and HAP40.

Many people are asking for LC200N, and I wonder why. My Caribbean is my favorite knife in spite of using LC200N, not because of it. This steel is so soft and weak it literally rolled the edge just cutting light cardboard.
How an edge fails (not when) is an important characteristic that is usually not considered or included when creating steel comparison charts. I think this is because people have different opinions/preferences on the roll vs chip spectrum as well as how much this characteristic should be weighted overall. Toothy steels like S30v which are more likely to chip are generally preferred as a toothy edge still cuts okay whereas rolls impair a edge's ability to cut more. I however personally find rolls much easier to correct and am quite found of (Almost OCD about) honing, which is why I strongly prefer steels that are more likely to roll than chip. Edges that are more likely to roll aren't necessarily always weaker either. Take REX-45/HAP40 for example, it has one of the toughest edges around, but when it's edge does fail, it usually rolls. I also find that it hones better than any other high-speed tool steel. Just my two cents.

A lot of people are mentioning ZDP-189 which makes it pretty amazing that Spyderco has not made a PM2 or Para 3 in that steel. Have they?

Back