which swisstool

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could explain the benefits of one swisstool over another. I was looking at the spirit, but dont know how it compares to the other swisstools. The only other multitool I have ever owned was an old style wave. I liked that one alot but it is long gone. I tried the new wave and took it back a few days later. I was looking to try a swisstool this time.
Thanks

First off, the Spirit is smaller (4.0 inches closed) than the original SwissTools (4.5 inches closed) and has true needle nose pliers. Also, the Spirit comes with a sheepsfoot knife blade with partial serrations on the forward portion of the blade.

The bigger SwissTools have a "half-baked" needle nose pliers (more of like a cross between a blunt nose and needle nose). There are 4 variations of the larger SwissTools - RS, CS, X and Original design. I'll just note the major differences:

- The Original Design comes with a separate plain edge and serrated edge knife.
- The X comes with scissors in place of the serrated edge knife.
- The RS is the X model but comes with a seatbelt cutter blade in place of the file.
- The CS is the X model with a removable corkscrew attachment.

All these models, including the Spirit, come in "Plus" versions, which add a metal wrench which can accommodate extra, removable screwdriver bits. The Spirit Plus even comes with a ratchet.

You can see them at http://www.swissarmy.com/multitools/Category.htm?category=swisstool& for more details.

=)

I like the Spirit, which I received for Christmas. It feels lighter on my belt than my SwissTool R/S does. I can also wear the Spirit with my dress suit. No way can I do that with my fullsize SwissTool.

If you're doing, say, plumbing work, go for the big SwissTool. If you're more the office type, like me, the Spirit should suffice.

My problem is that I can't decide which one to have with me, so, I usually have an "old style" Wave riding on my belt, and a SwissTool (original) tucked-away in my mini-B.O.B. [Bug-Out Bag].

They have over-lapping tools and either one has something that the other doesn't. It's best not to have to decide, if that's an option for you. ;)

GeoThorn

Back