1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Which VFD? 110V input, 1.5hp motor

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Samuel Goodhue, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Samuel Goodhue

Samuel Goodhue

Nov 26, 2018
    Hey everyone,

I know that VFD threads have been done a million times before, but I'm looking for advice on which specific make/model of VFD will fit my needs and I can't seem to find anything that clears it up.

I'm currently running a 1hp motor on my belt grinder. It's set up in a direct drive configuration, No VFD, 4" drive wheel.

I'm thinking about upgrading to a 1.5hp motor and a VFD. I've got a dedicated 110V 20amp circuit to work with in my studio and my question is this... is a KBAC27 my only choice for a VFD?

I ask because every other less expensive VFD that I can find(like the Teco) seems to be either 110V input with a 1hp max, or 220V input with a 2hp(or more) max. Is the KBAC27D the only VFD that can take 110V power and run a 1.5hp motor?

If Im misunderstanding something please let me know, my experience with electrical stuff is very limited.

Thanks,
    Sam

2. Hubert S.

Hubert S.

Dec 14, 2019
    As far as I know, the KB drives are the only ones that can run 1.5 HP motors on 110V. They offer a digital version in a similar price range (KBDA-27D), also in a NEMA 4 enclosure. I like the KBAC-27Ds, they are very easy to wire and appear to be very well built. You will love variable speed.

3. 12345678910

Jul 13, 2009
    Yes .

4. Ken H>

Ken H>

Dec 31, 2011
    As far as I know, that is correct, the KBAC drives are the only drives to accept 120vac input for 1.5hp motor. I'd get a 2hp motor and derate it to 1.5hp to run on 120vac input, then if you ever get 220vac available you've got 2hp.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020