Whipping out the KaBar at work......

What does it have to do with fear? And what the hell does war have to do with it? If your carrying automatic weapons I highly doubt you need much of anything else and I'll be among them next year so I hope that doesn't "offend" you can I go through and tell you the individual use of each knife I carry? Yes easily but I dont think you deserve the pleasure

I'm not going to disagree with the excessiveness but what no one sees they sure as hell won't fear- for me: things "exposed" leatherman on my belt, pocket clip of endura 1 back left pocket, pocket clip crkt m16-14sfg front left pocket, pocket clip cold steel Spartan front right pocket

That's it my friend- and it's hard to fear what isn't shown I have no contribution to the "fear" as an enthusiast, only knife ever taken out in "public" is my endura

Now my friend on the other hand... Yes he does, he strives too... His problem not mine

Edit- and just because I "carry 10 knives"(my regular edc is about 7)
Doesn't mean I don't know how and when to properly and safely use them- you people are weird in jumping to conclusions lol

I don't deserve the pleasure? Let's not get defensive. You mentioned the various uses and I was curious as to what you encounter in daily life that requires 10 separate knives. But with you saying only one is pulled out in public, I think answers my question. Even though you also claim to use a 13in boot knife to cut steak. My suggestion would be to find a.better steak joint.
Having four items partially exposed would make even the most seasoned knife carrier, stop and wonder.
No worries though. I think you summed yourself up for me.

Knife sharpening must be a marathon day for you. :)

I don't deserve the pleasure? Let's not get defensive. You mentioned the various uses and I was curious as to what you encounter in daily life that requires 10 separate knives. But with you saying only one is pulled out in public, I think answers my question. Even though you also claim to use a 13in boot knife to cut steak. My suggestion would be to find a.better steak joint.
Having four items partially exposed would make even the most seasoned knife carrier, stop and wonder.
No worries though. I think you summed yourself up for me.

Knife sharpening must be a marathon day for you. :)

It is! But that goes with maintaing my 50 some other knives that aren't used as regularly

Not being defensive just you could've been alot more polite in your way of asking

Not what I encounter everyday it's what I encounter over a long period of time, id rather have something and not need it then be Ill equipped for a task, weird and unnecessary? Yes but once you start doing it, you can't just stop

And what I use in public? I spend less than a third of my day "in public" so your looking at it wrong

My "boot knife" is not what your looking at it as ethier- it's a very old thin and very plain wood handled knife that yes by all definitions is a dagger, but not what most people idealize as one- which for the record is something I carry infrequently I just started messing with doing so last Tuesday...
And you consider 4 semi exposed knives "enough to raise eyebrows"? I find that mildly bothersome but you aren't in the same area as me and don't experience what I do, or live life like I do... so I guess it makes sense...

Hmm this is a bit incoherent of a response but it is 3:19...
I think we just misunderstood each-other more than we ment too...

It is! But that goes with maintaing my 50 some other knives that aren't used as regularly

Not being defensive just you could've been alot more polite in your way of asking

Not what I encounter everyday it's what I encounter over a long period of time, id rather have something and not need it then be Ill equipped for a task, weird and unnecessary? Yes but once you start doing it, you can't just stop

And what I use in public? I spend less than a third of my day "in public" so your looking at it wrong

My "boot knife" is not what your looking at it as ethier- it's a very old thin and very plain wood handled knife that yes by all definitions is a dagger, but not what most people idealize as one- which for the record is something I carry infrequently I just started messing with doing so last Tuesday...
And you consider 4 semi exposed knives "enough to raise eyebrows"? I find that mildly bothersome but you aren't in the same area as me and don't experience what I do, or live life like I do... so I guess it makes sense...

Hmm this is a bit incoherent of a response but it is 3:19...
I think we just misunderstood each-other more than we ment too...

Let's get off this merry-go-round

In reality who would fear anyone carrying 10+ knives? I'm sorry but that pesonality type in real life would be pretty much harmless. JMO as usual.

People are crazy! I carry and use what i like, when I like. I don't see a need to carry more than what I might really need. I don't show off, if someone needs a knife I'm more than willing to do it for them. Im not handing my knife to anyone.

I am beginning to understand why so many people are afraid or knives. A post above stated 23 knives between two people. My vote is that is a bit excessive. I know professional chefs that cater and travel with all of their knives and they don't even carry 10 knives and we are talking about tools that directly impact their livelihood. While you may have the right to carry so many knives, it doesn't exactly mean you should. Hell, you have the right not to shower or clean your butt and yet we do because its wise and mature. We have guys in the forum that are currently serving in a WAR. People really are trying to kill them. I bet they don't carry 10 knives and their lives are on the line 24hrs a day.

You say they all have different uses, please indulge me if you will. What are the 10 separate uses?

+1000000000000000

leatherman

endura 1

crkt m16-14sfg

cold steel Spartan

Lets just talk about these 4 knives...leave the leatherman out it is obviously a multitool that has its uses...so what can each othe the other three do that the others can't. For instance what can the endura 1 do that the crkt m16-14sfg and the cold steel Spartan can't, and so forth...

I love my knives, I really do, but I have NEVER felt the absolute need on a daily basis to carry more than one at a time. Hell, I am a professional chef and I only carry 3 knives in my kit. They each serve a purpose and have a function that the others can't. So what is the purpose of the 3 knives you carry that are visible, not even counting the ones you say you have which are not visible.

The most knives I've ever daily carried was 3; Kershaw Leek, Fallkniven PXL, and a ceramic blade. I never used the Fallkniven cause I find it too nice for abuse. Rarely used the ceramic for fear of breaking the blade. Kershaw Leek is my abuse knife.

I could never carry more than my Kershaw again unless I'm camping.

I hope this doesn't turn into a dogpile on the guys like kfgk14 and XanRa; I think it's really valuable to have their input and that's lost if they get put on the defensive. I'm guessing they're hardly the only ones here with a perpetual boner for knives.

I do have to admit I've been sitting here snickering for five minutes about kfgk14's suprise that he pulled out a black fixed blade knife that's almost a foot long, advanced on a stranger, and spooked the guy.

I wish we could get some non- or even anti- knife people in here as well. They're certainly allowed to have an opinion too and it would be really interesting to hear it. I can't say I'm surprised at the lady in Moose's story who saw an all-black and very large folding knife and her first thought was "weapon."

I have to say I envy those of you that can carry a knife around respectful educated people and use it for utilitarian purposes, I live in So Cal and the people here are scared out of their pants about knives. This is partially due to a lot of teenagers viewing them and carrying them as weapons and play things, and don't get me started on gang bangers... the LEO's around here automatically think you're a gangster if you're not white and you happen to be part of the younger crowd (I've met really nice ones but it seems a lot of them are on power trips) and to make matters worse a lot of them don't know their penal codes. To prevent this I keep them in a note on my i-touch in case I'm being unlawfully treated. Sad I -or we actually have to even worry about rights)

i'm pretty often carrying a number of knives from tiny folder/scissors to good sized folders or medium sized fixed blades (Eskabar) as EDC, and lately a belt knife of good size (Helle). nobody has said boo.

course, i'm also more often carrying something else :) which nobody has commented on, because they're not supposed to KNOW i am.

permits are good things. state law is even better.

At work, I have 3 knives on me, and one more utility knife in my tool bags. One of the 3 is a Mora Craftsman in my tool bags. When walking around, I have a small yellow handled Imperial slipjoint my daughters gave me, and a Leatherman Wave on my belt.
I have no issues with a small fixed either, I am on the hunt for a Becker Necker right now (!!) but...BUT, what I was talking about was whipping out a 6 inch blade in a grocery store, within striking distance of an unsuspecting individual. I would call this careless, and crude.
If someone whipped out a blade that close to me, I am going to back up, or strike out...thats just common sense IMO.

I carry these daily:

5436050815_b3b58c5ae5_b.jpg

And the big one rarely if ever leaves my pocket unless I am in some dire need of it. Why do I carry two? Well, yeah, different jobs, all that, but my biggest reason was I found myself in a situation that I needed pliers to hold something, and I needed to cut at the same time. So, between the two of them, that covers it. I used the big one Monday to split, shave, and whittle up some wood for a decent fire (and let me tell you, I put everything I learned watching Ethan in action during the gathering to work, and that fire took off like no one's business) and it worked very well. Despite all the funky curves and grooves and whatnot, it is very comfortable, and I was able to choke down and get a good grip for some fuzz sticks (I need to practice those more) and then split off some pencil sized stuff via baton (no, I didn't have the lock disengaged cause I wasn't pounding on it like an anvil, I just tapped it through the wood until it got to where it would split) and then split off some even bigger chunks. Worked great.

The funniest thing is though, despite the size of it, the actual cutting edge of the blade is only four inches long.

Now the blade on the Skeletool is my usual go to, mostly cause it is easier to open and close, is usually plenty big enough for the job at hand, and is so sharp it could cut a fart in twain. (Seriously, I feathersticked a hair freshly plucked from my noggin the other day with it. I was amazed.)

One of the things I like to do around particularly obstinate people is try to use crappy tools for the job. Say I need to open a clamshell package, I will get the dullest scissors I can and wrestle with it in front of them. Then, when that doesn't work, I will pull out the skeletool, but try to use the pliers. I try to hold it so they can see the knife, and almost every time, they finally say "Hey, doesn't that thing have a knife on it?" Seems like if it is their idea, they don't give a good gosh darn.

Worst reaction though was a lady at work asked why I carried a weapon when I pulled it out to open a box (the skeletool mind you with it's super frightening 2.5" blade) to which I replied, "What do you use to cut stuff in your kitchen?" "A knife." "Why do you use a weapon in your kitchen?" She never mentioned it again after that.

I hope this doesn't turn into a dogpile on the guys like kfgk14 and XanRa; I think it's really valuable to have their input and that's lost if they get put on the defensive. I'm guessing they're hardly the only ones here with a perpetual boner for knives.

I do have to admit I've been sitting here snickering for five minutes about kfgk14's suprise that he pulled out a black fixed blade knife that's almost a foot long, advanced on a stranger, and spooked the guy.

I wish we could get some non- or even anti- knife people in here as well. They're certainly allowed to have an opinion too and it would be really interesting to hear it. I can't say I'm surprised at the lady in Moose's story who saw an all-black and very large folding knife and her first thought was "weapon."

He shoots, he scores. Good points.

there are so many stupid sheeple out there i want to scream.

seriously, i opened up a keychain scissors thng, and someone freaked on me. she ran to get a an organizer to ban me. the organizer saw the scissors and said "what, really? get out of my face". then he laughed, because he knows i'm the goto guy for an axe, machete, or more. scissors/knife. seriously lady!

some of these same sheep hear about some "slime mold" and want to know "what someone is gong to do about it". good lord. these same people are completely helpless at home too. sliced their hand open on some clam shell packaging because they tried to use a steak knife to open it. didn't have a damn pair of EMT shears, a knife, or ANY decent tool handy, because "those things should only be handled by LICENSED professionals". the same kind of person who believes in gun free zones, and the power of the govt to protect the people. it would be trivial to show this person they would be the first to be eaten by zombies, and has no worth in the coming salvation of mankind by alien overlords. i mean, seriously.

get these damn sheep off my front lawn

Last edited:
"those things should only be handle by LICENSED professionals".

<snip>

they would be the first to be eaten by zombies, and has no worth in the coming salvation of mankind by alien overlords.

1) ive never heard anyone say scissors or knives should only be handled by "professionals"

2) really? zombies and aliens?

The zombies can prey upon the sheeple giving the rest of us time to kill it.
Ironically, these same morons keep the aliens from thinking about enslaving us. They know that they would have a planet full of useless drones.

In the "too many" knives department . . .

For twenty years I carried an Imperial "USMC issue" clone (US Officers Ulster 916), a scout style, four-blade knife.

For the next twenty or so years I carried a Gerber Silver Knight (geek work, slacks and sleeves).

And then came 2003, and my quest to discover what was out there and what would work well for me . . . which brings us to now . . .

My normal load-out is six knives. Occasionally five or seven, partly depending on clothing.

Three of the knives, the Leatherman Wave, the EKA/Wenger Executive Major, and the Case Peanut are pretty much permanent fixtures. In my "you might be a knifeaholic" thread post, I mention that I evaluate people according to what knife I perceive would be appropriate to display and use in their presence.

Around some people, the default knife will be either the Peanut or the Exec Major SAK. They are, respectively, "cute" and "friendly" looking. Around other engineers, I'll "whip out" the Leatherman, and it never gets an eyebrow.

And then there are the other three: right front pocket, belt pouch, and "other" pocket (usually a thigh pocket, but it depends on the pants).

• Today, for example, front pocket = Kershaw 3120 Black Gulch, left thigh = Lone Wolf Paul Presto, and belt pouch = Benchmade Steigerwald NRA Outdoor.
  • Yesterday, it was front pocket = EKA Swede 88, left thigh = Kershaw Double Cross, and belt pouch = Buck EcoLite 110.
  • Day before that, front pocket = Buck EcoLite 112, left thigh = Case John Deer Medium Stockman, and belt pouch = Normark/EKA Swede 92.

So, pretty much six knives most days. (I went a whole week with only three because I had chiropractor visits and didn't want the excess baggage.)

Why the "excessive" knife count?

I have a working list of knives that are under evaluation. I only recently picked up the EcoLite Buck series, along with the Buck Paradigm (which I've been carrying on and off in rotation), and some Vantage Select "blems" from the factory. I carry a given mix in my rotation, and then do deliberate tasks to put them through their paces. The tasks always include some kitchen duty (slicing bread, veggies, meats, cheese, fruits, etc.) and then I compare those with others in rotation. I chop up some cardboard boxes, slice open assorted bags of stuff, open packaging, and all that jazz.

Now, if I didn't go out of my way to make work for those knives, some of them might go unused for days. So I contrive to make sure each has something to do.

There's also the matter of practice. For example, you peel an orange differently when you use a Kershaw Northside as opposed to, say, a Case Sod Buster Jr. Big knives require a different technique for cutting/quartering apples than that used with a smaller knife. Another educational experience is to do a "fancy preparation" of bell peppers. Try it with a big knife, small knife, a knife with a point, and one without. Different techniques.

I never go a whole week without learning something new about one of my knives and/or its applications.

Do I carry more than I need? Yes indeed.

I have maybe four classes of routine work I do with knives, and I carry six. And there's a lot of overlap between them (e.g. if I'm carrying both a Stockman and a Sodbuster, or a Vantage and a 110).

I could do pretty much all of that with two knives, and have in the past.

And maybe, when I'm done exploring and testing and experimenting, I may go back to carrying two.

Or maybe not. I've "grown accustomed to her face" where cutlery is concerned, and carrying fewer than three just feels wrong. - :D

(Perhaps worth noting is that the only knife I carry that "shows" is the Leatherman Wave [in a leather snap pouch]; the full-sized folder lives in a plain black horizontal nylon pouch on my belt, with no markers identifying it as a knife. The only other time a knife is "evident" is when I carry the Paradigm, and all that shows is the clip.)

^ agree with most and especially the can't stop- it does feel wrong now

I feel naked with less than multiple knives... But I can do with a large fixed blade and a Barlow(like at civil war reenactments)

It's barely a choice anymore for me

Back