White handle material....

Other than bone/antler/ivory, is there a white handle material, and does Dan use it? Any photos of what it looks like would be nice. Thanks!

I did a K-TUSK in Ivory Paper Micarta a while back and will never do it again...!! :eek:

It was a nightmare trying to keep it clean while working the knife and torturous to finish out.

What other white handle materials are our there?

I've got some tan G10 that is "near white"...:D

Dan

Yes - I should mention I have done several "off white" wood handles....can't remember the names right now....but I'll post 'em if I can find 'em.

Dan

I have seen an ivory white material called casein used for knife hafting. Looked it up on Wiktionary and found that it is actually a milk-based material! I've only seen pictures and it is quite good looking, but no idea how stablile or tough it is.

I have used some maple that was nearly-white....as well as some fiddleback Elder that was very white. (but not ivory-white)

Dan

Dan, there's another knifemaker who uses a type of industrial resin which comes in white. It is poured into a cast on the tang, then ground to shape.

I would guess that white will always be hard to keep looking good regardless of the material though, which is why I stay a way from light colored handles most of the time.

Andy

You might try white corian. Get some from a local counter-top installer to try out but it should work good. Might be easier to keep clean too.

Charlie

There is white linen micarta available...but it is seemingly scarce. It is, for what it's worth, easier to keep clean while working than the paper-based micarta.

Back