White River / Jerry Fisk Sendero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary W. Graley

“Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I saw there was an older thread, felt a new one was due. Just picked up one of these from whitty whitty at USA Made Blades.

Simply a beautiful knife, designed by Jerry Fisk and produced by W White River

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

The sheath provided is solid and well made but for myself I prefer a pouch style, so when I go to draw the knife, I don't have to fiddle with a strap or worry if I might cut it and on the return to the sheath, again watching that strap's position as well as finding that slot in the sheath isn't instinctive to me, but again for carry it does the job.

Since the guard is quite long, better to protect my hand, the pouch opening needed to be wide and open enough to receive the guard. So on the welt portion, three layers of leather, a bottom and top that are skived down to make a smooth transition and a center layer that runs the length of the sheath to protect the stitching from the blade, all layers are glued as well.

I put a belt loop on by using a copper rivet, this allows the sheath to swivel when you go to sit down and provides easy access to the knife handle. And the larger opening makes it simple to guide the tip into the sheath and then push down to seat the guard against a ledge of leather inside. The top welt area has a very slight curve so the guard rides down against that until it rests at the bottom.

Again, very nice knife!

Thanks to Jerry Fisk and to wrcb wrcb for coming up with such a blade.
G2

PS I do not take orders for fixed blades, I just make folding knife sheaths, but, when pressed to make something for myself, I will indulge once in a while ;)

Last edited:
Thanks the knife impresses me every time I take her out to cut something.

Here's a short video that shows the very nice box that White River ships the knife/sheath out in, very very well done.

G2

The Sendero Classic is a great knife. I like it so much that I have two, one in green micarta, the other is black-and-maple Richlite, and the first one White River did with a hand-rubbed satin finish. One or the
other is my EDC. I've always carried a fixed blade, and this one is like a part of my hand. Hope you enjoy yours as much!

I like your pouch design, though, and thought about having a pouch made. But, I don't mind the factory sheath, it's quite sturdy, and very well made. I always look when re-sheathing, not so much(never) when
pulling the blade, but in 3-1/2 years of every day carry and use, the retaining strap has no noticeable nicks or cuts in it. But, I have a spare, and WR sells replacement sheaths for most of their knives.

I agree, it's a real classic and I do like it a great deal. While it was sharp on arrival, things can usually be tuned up a bit more and so I took it to my sharpening station and wow, very good cutter now!

And the pouch with the swivel belt loop really makes a big difference, while I could have used the original sheath, this is just so much more instinctive to use and convenient as well.

G2

S35VN isn't considered a super-steeI, whatever that is, and it's not the flavor-of-the-month. But it's a good mix of properties for a serious cutting tool. Factor in Fisk design, and a really a good heat treatment, what's not to like?

I like a dangler style sheath for larger knives, but haven't tried one for a smaller EDC type blade.

Never much liked the usual 'dangler' style sheaths, those with rings/D-rings or things along that line that the knife sheath itself is pretty un-supported, where the copper rivet style allows the sheath to swivel but still be under control.

And yep, small knives it wouldn't be necessary to have something like that, this was on the edge of that size range and since I was making new, I decided to go that route. There is a section of the main sheath that helps you guide the knife into the pouch section. All in all it works pretty nice.

here's a video of another knife that I made a leather swivel adapter onto a kydex sheath

G2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back