Who’s been involved in scouting?

EngrSorenson

Noticed by Senpai
Platinum Member
I brought my son to his first cub scout meeting last night. I was a scout from tiger through star, so it was a cool thing for me.

Looks like I’m a den leader to 4 lion scouts now, too, paying forward what my dad did for me.

So who’s done or doing scouts?

I pretty much ran the gamut from Cub Scout assistant den leader to Cubmaster. Both of my boys made it through Webelos and went on to achieve Eagle and Life rank in Boy Scouts. Its a wonderful experience for both boys and their parents but it really depends on active parents. Its also a lot of fun for parents as well as the children. Both Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts (now ScoutsUSA, I believe) are excellent experiences for both Mom and Dad as well as their children. Both are now open to young ladies as well as boys.
Best of luck to you and your boys and or girls.

Eagle here. Started as a Cub Scout in early elementary school and stayed involved with BSA until I went off to college. My Troop was made up of a lot of my good friends and our fathers were the adult leaders.. we were always very heavily outdoors-focused, more so than most Troops.. lots of hiking/camping, annual week-long backpacking/canoe trips,etc. Some of my very best childhood memories are directly related to Scouting.

Good on you for getting your son involved! I hope it's a good experience for you both!

Scouting has been a family affair for me.

My dad has been involved in scouting for over 60 years and is still going. My mother was one of our pack leaders when I was in Cub Scouts and still volunteers. I stated in Tiger Cubs, earned my Eagle the did some Venture Scout stuff. I was also on a camp staff for 5 years. My sister has been on camp staff for about 4 years now as a services director after being in Girl Scouts growing up.

I have a 1.5 year old and can’t wait until he is old enough to join.

Scouting has been one of the best experiences that I have had. I was very lucky to always be in a troop that was active year round. Like someone else said being an active parent makes all the difference.

Great to read the stories, gents- thanks for the replies.

I remember what I learned in scouting at times like when I had to bandage my son's head after he gashed the back of it.
I remember the compliment the nurse paid me, but it was really a compliment for the scouts.

I appreciate the uplifting stories- I gotta be honest, I'm a little nervous to just jump right in, but I just have to have a little faith that kids are kids, and they'll probably appreciate all the same things I did.

I made it from Cub scouts through Life. Never made eagle, our troop disbanded.

Kid #2 went through cub scouts and got his arrow of light. I had fun doing the whole scouting thing again and it was a great experience for him.

Unfortunately there were some uncontrollable issues that prevented him from continuing in scouting. Sparing details, let's just say I'll never forgive for that one.

I made it from Cub scouts through Life. Never made eagle, our troop disbanded.

Kid #2 went through cub scouts and got his arrow of light. I had fun doing the whole scouting thing again and it was a great experience for him.

Unfortunately there were some uncontrollable issues that prevented him from continuing in scouting. Sparing details, let's just say I'll never forgive for that one.
Sorry to hear that. That's unfortunate.

Eagle here, it got me my first stripe in the USAF!
My dad was scoutmaster for a bit while I finished up my scouting journey. He gave everything to the nearest troop after I was out, I sure miss that giant cast iron dutch oven!

I went Cub through Life. I got pretty disenfranchised after Life. My parents were supportive, but not engaged. The push from Life to Eagle takes a motivated youth, dedicated parents (to the program) &/or an exceptional adult leader. None of that really came together in my case.

When we had 3 boys of our own, my wife said she expected 3 Eagles. So I put my ambivalence aside and we engaged. My wife was a Den leader…forever...even after our boys moved on. I spent time as a Cubmaster, Asst Scoutmaster, and Scoutmaster. My wife got her three Eagles, and hopefully a slew of other boys learned about life, citizenship, and the outdoors.

I went Cub through Life. I got pretty disenfranchised after Life. My parents were supportive, but not engaged. The push from Life to Eagle takes a motivated youth, dedicated parents (to the program) &/or an exceptional adult leader. None of that really came together in my case.

When we had 3 boys of our own, my wife said she expected 3 Eagles. So I put my ambivalence aside and we engaged. My wife was a Den leader…forever...even after our boys moved on. I spent time as a Cubmaster, Asst Scoutmaster, and Scoutmaster. My wife got her three Eagles, and hopefully a slew of other boys learned about life, citizenship, and the outdoors.
Without my Dad pushing me, I would not have made Eagle or be anywhere close to where I am in life. Good supportive Dad's are the lifeblood of success. Good on you buddy, I'm trying to be the best I can for my Daughter.

As an asst scoutmaster, I can say that I hope one day the boys (I should say scouts now) appreciate how much parental effort goes into a boy run troup.
Rest assured, the introspective ones will. I still remember one Scoutmaster (Army Vet) telling us how to ambush enemy combatants 😂

Last edited:
Rest assured, the introspective ones will. I still remember one Scoutmaster (Army Vet) telling us how to ambush enemy combatants 😂
If you're wondering, per Mark (Scoutmaster) you disable the knees of the first and last while they are filing through a ravine then hose the rest with overlapping fields of fire! 😂

Mark's son, my good buddy and fellow scout Jason went on to be very successful in the Army as well. Good patriots, those folks.

Back