Do you like plastic sheaths?

• No

Votes: 19 40.4%
  • I don’t care

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 23 48.9%

• Total voters
Why are plastic sheaths a thing? They are ugly, too stiff, and if the blade is sharp the it will shave off pieces of the sheath which could possibly damage the blade.

Its simple, different folks have different likes and tastes. btw, I like the knife above! Can you tell more about it?

I agree with Dwayne different strokes for different folks. Not my deal but if it works for someone thats cool.

Its simple, different folks have different likes and tastes. btw, I like the knife above! Can you tell more about it?
This is a Mission Knives MPS Ti-10 Survival knife. It is fabricated from Beta Titanium, and the fittings and sheath are all non-magnetic so the knife can be used by Navy Seals to dig out magnetic mines. The 1/4” thick blade is 5” long and is impervious to corrosion. The Kraton scales can be removed for a paracord wrap, or the handle can be used bare.
It can be carried upside down under a pilot’s arm for quick access in the cockpit. The weight is 5.2 0z. The blue anodize job was commissioned by Papa Smurf.

I don't like kydex and I can only think of one plus it has over leather,: that is for a person who doesn't want animal product.

Depends. A well-made Kydex (or equivalent) sheath won't mar the blade. Plastic inserts in leather sheaths (Roselli, for instance) are inconspicuous and add a measure of safety. Kydex sheaths are usually quite compact and most have attachment features.

I like kydex, well boltaron really, from both a user and makers perspective.

I can make a functional, durable, attractive(YMMV of course) boltaron sheath in about 30 minutes of actual work. none of which is hand work.

A similar leather sheath, at least an hour. And lots of hand work.

I’m coming around to leather working, but it is still a slow and mostly painful process for me.

Another factor is my background, a bunch of the knives I make are for military or LE applications and they don’t want leather. It needs to be waterproof, durable and protec

My main complaints about plastic is noise! This is mostly from knife to sheath contact, i.e. rattling when not fitted correctly and/or loud snapping when entering or exiting the sheath. Occasionally, it can be from contact with other gear or natural objects such as branches or rocks. I dont want my knife sheath to be a source of noise when hunting. Leather never causes these issues.

My preference is for leather but Kydex is fine and does not dull the knife as some have said. Glass filled nylon on the hand sucks.

Why are plastic sheaths a thing? They are ugly, too stiff, and if the blade is sharp the it will shave off pieces of the sheath which could possibly damage the blade.

I'm sorry, but you are simply not correct on this one. Ugly is all a matter of opinion, so if you find them ugly then they're ugly to you. Too stiff? Then it wasn't made/finished correctly. A well finished Kydex (or variant plastic) sheath should have just the right amount of retention. This can be adjusted with some heat and a little patience. The blade will shave off pieces of the sheath and damage the blade? Again, if this is the case then your sheath was not made correctly. All blades should receive multiple layers of painters tape on them before molding the sheath so that there is sufficient clearance for the blade on all 4 sides. To combat the issue of noise from the blade rattling around in the sheath, a little extra clearance during molding can also eliminate this as the retnetion portion only allows the blade to move so much. Provide a little more clearance and the noise issues are resolved. It also helps to use rubber washers/silencers in between the sheath eyelets and any attachment piece like a tek-lock to further eliminate the chance for noise.

I don't like kydex and I can only think of one plus it has over leather,: that is for a person who doesn't want animal product.

Well let me help.
Lighter, thinner, more durable.
Won't rot, mold or mildew, absorb water, sweat or blood, swell, shrink, dry and crack.

These advantages may not matter to you, for your purposes, but they are advantages.

Leather can last a long time, if well cared for or sheltered from the elements. A properly made kydex sheath or holster serves it's purpose very well. Pretty much regardless of neglect.

Leather has it's appeal. Fine to admire it and enjoy a well crafted piece. Preferring leather for whatever reason is fine. I like it. But to say "synthetics have NO advantages over leather it's just for vegans" is just not true. Plastic is, well, plastic. But it will be here for long after you are long gone and the blade has rusted away.

Well let me help.
Lighter, thinner, more durable.
Won't rot, mold or mildew, absorb water, sweat or blood, swell, shrink, dry and crack.

These advantages may not matter to you, for your purposes, but they are advantages.

Leather can last a long time, if well cared for or sheltered from the elements. A properly made kydex sheath or holster serves it's purpose very well. Pretty much regardless of neglect.

Leather has it's appeal. Fine to admire it and enjoy a well crafted piece. Preferring leather for whatever reason is fine. I like it. But to say "synthetics have NO advantages over leather it's just for vegans" is just not true. Plastic is, well, plastic. But it will be here for long after you are long gone and the blade has rusted away.
You just stated that plastic sheaths will not break down over time (which means that they will eventually add to plastic waste and pollution) further convincing me that they are bad.

They could also be recycled. Leather can be composted. The combination in post 2 above might last hundreds of years, by which time people will have forgotten what the original purpose was.

I use plastic in a line of sheaths that have mixed materials.... Wood or mammoth ivory top is visible, the plastic back and loop is nice because it can be form shaped to a custom knife for perfect snug fit. 2nd reason, This tight perfect form fit eliminates a need for snaps or straps. I find it important to be able to access a knife in a hurry without looking, yet not have it easily fall out (if I stand on my head- ha!) . This factor can be more important than looks. Leather can be custom formed as well -but I'm not good at it, seems harder, more costly. I find when selling, it is 95% about the knife. On any sheath knife, buyers seem to expect the price of a custom knife to include a sheath of some kind. 'tossed in for free.' To say, "That's another $50 for the sheath" is to lose the sale and be treated as if you are selling a car without tires. So kind of a 3rd reason for plastic, the ability to offer a descent sheath that works. The sheath plastics are easy to heat form-can make one in 15 minutes. If the customer wants better, they can seek out a sheath of their choice, have one custom made by someone who specializes in leather work- which is an art form all by itself. Or have me provide one for a separate price.

You just stated that plastic sheaths will not break down over time (which means that they will eventually add to plastic waste and pollution) further convincing me that they are bad.

Well, call me crazy, but I tend to determine whether an item is "bad" by how it performs it's intended purpose. Call longevity "bad" if you wish. I personally don't.

Back