Who actually prefers stainless in a folder?

I've been reading a lot lately about steels and their pros and cons and was wondering if there are any knife enthusiasts out there, who actually prefer stainless steel over carbon steel in a folder? If so, what is your reasoning?

I like them both for different reasons. A whittler for example should be carbon steel. I prefer a 4 blade camp knife with its can opener to be stainless.

I like both. It depends entirely on the knife to me. For example, I’ve got a Queen in D2 in my pocket but also a Large Sebenza 21 in S35VN clipped on same pocket. One carbon, one stainless.

It’s really all about each individual knife (and it’s intended use) for me :thumbsup:

I would prefer good stainless to "carbon steel".

I'd heavily consider a good tool steel over good stainless depending on the intended use.

I enjoy, use and carry both carbon and stainless steel. I've never had a significant problem with rust. Whenever there has been any rust, which is rarely, it has cleaned off nicely. Patina is fine and helps minimize rust on carbon steel blades, although I am not one who 'forces patina'.

The only issues I've had are with 'spotting', but in my experience, not all stainless blades are immune to that, even under relatively good conditions.

For me, it is not my preference that dictates what I like in the folder, but usually is the application that determines it. If I know I will be using it close to sea water, or it's sitting in a sweating pants pocket in a hot humid summer day, or using it on food, I generally prefer stainless over carbon. Otherwise, I am fine with either.

I've been reading a lot lately about steels and their pros and cons and was wondering if there are any knife enthusiasts out there, who actually prefer stainless steel over carbon steel in a folder? If so, what is your reasoning?
I have a Benchmade Contego in M4 and in M390. They both cut and hold an edge similarly. But the m390 won’t rust. I like good stainless steel in a folder.

I do sometimes. if I'm outside in the swamps in the summer time and its hot and wet here in the deep south and I sweat salt acid on top of that. so sometimes I like a stainless folder I dont have to take care of after a day in my pocket. some stainlesses and finishes like bead blasted, as an example, cant survive that day without rust spotting.

My question is, why wouldn't you want stainless on a folder?

I prefer stainless in a folder because I live and work near and on the water, and most of my recreational activities involve the water.

Folders have a pivot area that must be clean to function properly, and many aren't easy to clean. I wouldn't want rust forming in there and compromising my knife. Stainless also won't rust in my pocket on a hot and humid day, and it's far easier to maintain.

The main reason so many people love carbon and high-alloy steels is their toughness, which I think is great for a fixed blade, but any stainless steel should be more than tough enough for any task you could reasonably use a folder for.

Most of my folding knives over the yrs were stainless, but I still like M4 in my Spyderco...
One fixed blade that I carry, my favorite, is made from Vanadis-4E Superclean. It certainly can rust, and I have wiped off minute rust dots on occasion, but it's fine if I keep it dry...it's fine. This Vanadis has the sharpest blade that I've ever owned, being "sticky-sharp" and has a high hardness so it stays sharp a very long time... I have stropped it, but never sharpened it...

I have a few knives that are carbon (maybe 3-5 tops). Everything else is stainless. Including my bushcraft knife.

With good reason, too. Stainless offers me a larger choice of retail products, is easier to maintain, and requires far less maintenance overall.

I would never want a stainless axe or machete but, for a folder, it is the way to go. IMHO.

Last edited:
As a general rule, I prefer carbon steel for fixed blades, and stainless for folders. That said, I have a Buck 110 in 5160, and my EDC fixed blade is S35VN.
Actually, they're not really rules, so much as guidelines...

was wondering if there are any knife enthusiasts out there, who actually prefer stainless steel over carbon steel

Your question makes it sound like you're surprised that anyone would prefer stainless. And it makes me curious what your age is (I'm 50, I wouldn't ask if I weren't willing to tell). Early stainless steels weren't very good for knife blades, but they have improved significantly since the 60's, 70's, and 80's. So I wonder if your only experience with stainless steel blades is from those early days.

Personally, I prefer stainless. Low maintenance. I don't have to worry about humidity, or a little moisture on the blade or in the pivot area.

These days I hardly need a knife at all. But back when I was working, and my jobs were hot and sweaty, even stainless steel would sometimes rust a bit in my pocket, including my Bradley Alias with s30v stainless (the last "super steel" I purchased).

By the way Fass, you didn't mention which you prefer and why :).

Honestly I don't think there were ever many true non-stainless folders available of the style I prefer - one hand open/close, what used to be called "tactical folders." Stainless was just the default, now there do seem to be more non-stainless steels available from the big folder companies but they don't hold much attraction for me.

I don't have any special preferences for carbon or stainless kind.
Rather quality and design is much more important.
But got mostly stainless ones since markets looks that way.

I'm lazy, stinky, and sweaty around knives. Years back when the Spyderco Resilience first came out I grabbed one. I clip slid it into the inside top of my warm semi damp heavy winter boot. In 24 hours it had rust speckles. Over the years I've tried to be a little more responsible with maintenance. But I have a lot of steel and I find it a pain in the arse to molly coddle all of them. I try to go through them once a year for pivot and blade oiling, unless it's presently in use. I tend to have two three folders on the go at any given time. When I tire of them and switch some out, I try to touch the edges up and oil. But even that's not guaranteed if they aren't outside in the winter. I have a very basic knowledge of knife steel, and have by default bought primarily stainless, or semi stainless. I have a few carbon Opinels that are razors, and a boat load of heavy duty, or regular, stainless and carbon Moras. A few are abused. I noticed that one was a bit rusted the other day, and I just put it back. I will deal with it when I use it, or just prior to.

I prefer carbon steel of whatever sort over stainless, whether in a folder or fixed. But I can't get the knives I want in carbon very often, so I take what I can get. Right now I'm wearing a Mora with a carbon steel blade. I usually carry a Buck 110, but it is stainless. When I pocket an Opinel, it is carbon. I love the old Cold Steel Carbon V (which the cognocenti say is Camillus's old formula of 1095).

All in all, I'm a carbon first knife fan, but if I have to go stainless, I don't complain too much.

Zieg

It was the 1950's when I started carrying a pocket knife. It was older than I was at the time, and it had carbon steel blades. Important at the time as proper heat treat for stainless was uncommon in the US until the late 50's. Without a subambient quench, stainless blades had poor properties. As a result, stainless blades had a deservedly poor reputation for holding an edge. By the 60's proper heat treat with subambient quench was the norm in the US. I started carrying a knife with stainless blades and have seldom looked back.

I have some pocket knives with carbon blades, mostly for the novelty of it. I occasionally carry one. But the ones I carry and use on a regular basis all have stainless blades.

Back