Who Actually Uses Thumb Ramps and Grooves

I'm not an overly large guy (5 ft 10in 216 lbs) and I don't think I have overly large hands, but I just can't seem to get comfortable using the thumb ramps or grooves on any of my knives. My thumb is always out on the spine.
When I first got my BM 710 I marveled at how perfect the handle and ramp fit my hand. But as soon as I did some actual cutting my thumb was out on the spine again.
Even on my Buck/Strider SP which has a huge handle, my thumb just catches the last couple of grooves which extend well down the spine.
Just curious about the rest of those on BF. When in an actual cutting situation, where is your thumb at.

Alex

hehehehe .. you must have super long thumbs??? :D

In any case, there are two knives who nearly force my thumb in the ramp, namely my Spyderco military and my SOCOM-E. Both are fairly large knives. I find the use of thumbramps good if you wanna do highly controlled yet powerful cutting.

Actually I use them a lot on my small Sebenza and Emerson CQC7. I also have a Kershaw Black Gulch with nice thumb grooves that I use frequently. To me it feels naturally, though I'm considered to have fairly large hands. So maybe it's not really the size of your hands that matters, but the way you hold the knife in your hand.

I use them too, especially on the CRKT Bladelock.
It's just a natural hand position for me.

Allen.

Depends what I'm cutting for where my thumb ends up.

I like the ramp and grooves on the full sized AFCK, hate them on the mini. So it's not always a good thing.

Phil

Back