Who Can Fix My Kizer Megatherium? (Thanks…FIXED!)

Hey guys……I bought a Kizer Megatherium from the 1st owner recently. I believe he never used it to cut anything and neither have I…it looks brand new. I took apart the knife to inspect and oil, and when putting it back together I found the female threads of the pivot were slightly buggered up. The pivot screw would not go back in past two turns.

I contacted Kizer (China) through email and they very nicely sent me (3) new pivots and screws. My Megatherium DOES NOT have a D-shaped pivot, so they sent the proper “older” turbine pivot, with Torx #10 on both sides.

I’ve tried putting the knife back together multiple times….the blade will not center and there is some slight play in the blade. I tried all 3 of the pivots…..no luck.

If I could clean/ream out the female threads of the ORIGINAL pivot, that might be an answer….but I have no way to do that.

Anybody have any ideas what’s going on? Any recommendations on who can take a look at fixing this? My new Megatherium is dead in the water…..😭

PLEASE HELP!! 😰

Last edited:
If you didn't have play before you shouldn't have play now if properly assembled. Also does the originen pivot just have thread locker or is the thread visibly damaged?

I would take it apart, make sure the bearings and everything else are properly placed, and try again. It doesn't take much to throw a knife out of center.

If you didn't have play before you shouldn't have play now if properly assembled. Also does the originen pivot just have thread locker or is the thread visibly damaged?

I would take it apart, make sure the bearings and everything else are properly placed, and try again. It doesn't take much to throw a knife out of center.

I didn’t notice any play BEFORE taking it apart…and pretty sure the blade was centered.

The original pivot definitely has buggered threads, I can see some debris/damage inside the threads.

When I fully tighten any of the (3) NEW pivots, the blade is off to one side, I can apply firm squeeze pressure to the “head” of the handles just beyond the pivot….and the blade centers. It’s almost like the new pivot body is “too long” and doesn’t pull the scales far enough together, but eye balling the different pivots they all look the same length. I doubt the pivots are all suddenly machined wrong…..but dunno 😨

Last edited:
I didn’t notice any play BEFORE taking it apart…and pretty sure the blade was centered.

The original pivot definitely has buggered threads, I can see some debris/damage inside the threads.

When I fully tighten the new pivot and the blade is off to one side, I can apply firm squeeze pressure to the “head” of the handles just beyond the pivot….and the blade centers. It’s almost like the new pivot body is “too long” and doesn’t pull the scales far enough together, but eye balling the different pivots they all look the same length. I doubt the pivots are all suddenly machined wrong…..but dunno 😨

If you can squeeze it and it fixes it then yeah the body is probably long. That sucks. It doesn't take much for it to make the assembly bad.

Q qqqqqqqman - Luckily you have 3 pivots to play with, and too long is better than too short! Try placing one of the pivots with the opening hole flat on some sandpaper on a flat surface and sand in a figure-8 motion. Sand it down just a smidgen then install to check the fit; rinse and repeat until perfect.

Q qqqqqqqman - Luckily you have 3 pivots to play with, and too long is better than too short! Try placing one of the pivots with the opening hole flat on some sandpaper on a flat surface and sand in a figure-8 motion. Sand it down just a smidgen then install to check the fit; rinse and repeat until perfect.

Hey FF5….thanks, that’s basically what I ended up doing, but with a Dremel and coarse sandpaper barrel followed by rubber wheel ☝️😁. I had to shorten it by 0.5mm, but just went slow.….works perfectly now. Yeah, having 3 pivots made it easier, lol….as I never had to mod a part before.

I posted this on another thread I had out.

Back