Who does Spyderco support with donations?

Hi DMG,

My apologies for not being more clear. I wasn't referring to you, but to some people that had in the past emailed me demanding that we make a statement on the "cause of the day" or they would boycott us.

As I've said in the past, Gail and I thought hard on what type of culture we wanted out company to be. Having started Spyderco while homeless and living in a "Bread delivery truck", we swore that if we ever became successful, we would always remember our roots and remember that people are people, not numbers, tools or statistics. We try to be a "model business" for other US companies to watch and emulate.

sal

Mr Glesser - you owe no apologies. You are a knife company. And a damn good one. No political statement necessary

Mr Glesser is being a bit modest. I remember back in the day (80’s & 90’s) many LEO’s received Spyderco knives through donations from the company. I suspect this was not a singular event.

To this day, Spyderco supports the very best of our country - veterans, LEO’s, firefighters, first responders, and others. Most of that is done quietly with no fanfare.

I’ll always own a Spyderco

Last edited:
Hi DMG,

My apologies for not being more clear. I wasn't referring to you, but to some people that had in the past emailed me demanding that we make a statement on the "cause of the day" or they would boycott us.

As I've said in the past, Gail and I thought hard on what type of culture we wanted out company to be. Having started Spyderco while homeless and living in a "Bread delivery truck", we swore that if we ever became successful, we would always remember our roots and remember that people are people, not numbers, tools or statistics. We try to be a "model business" for other US companies to watch and emulate.

sal

No need to apologize. The more I learn about you and Spyderco, the more impressed I am.

Spyderco is the best knife company on the planet. They make my favorite knife, the Shaman. Sal is an amazing guy, Eric is pretty cool too!

I like that Sal keeps things to himself, and doesn't put everything out there to try and get brownie points. Him being a wonderful person is enough! Now I must go play with my Shaman!

If it`s a good product people will buy it regardless of who/where the company chooses to give charity to.

The Sage series supports the National Alzheimer's Association. I have a Sage 2 with the RIL and it's a great knife.

"Spyderco will donate approximately 5% of sales of the Sage to the National Alzheimer's Association Denver, Colorado Chapter. The Alzheimer's Association is the leading voluntary health organization in Alzheimer care, support and research. Their mission is to eliminate Alzheimer's disease through the advancement of research; to provide and enhance care and support for all affected; and to reduce the risk of dementia through the promotion of brain health. Contributions to the Alzheimer's Association provide care and support to families in Colorado coping with Alzheimer's disease as well as fund national programs and research to ultimately find a cure. Visit www.alz.org/co to learn more about how your support makes a difference."

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C123CFCL/995

Hey DMG,

As long as we're "Talkin' Story", After 9/11, the clean up crew was having a hard time cutting the fiberglass drapes in the rubble. So we engraved "In memory of America's finest" on a few hundred knives and donated them to the clean up crew. Since most of the folks running into the buildings when everyone else was running out, were carrying our knives. We went a step further and designed a special model, invented a new lock and made a World Trade Center Commemorative model. Sold 2800 pc at full boat (even our family had to pay for ours), changed the mold so no more could be made and donated 100% of the profit to the "Widows and Orphans fund". Both the Clean up models and the WTC models are hard to find these says.

sal

Hey DMG,

As long as we're "Talkin' Story", After 9/11, the clean up crew was having a hard time cutting the fiberglass drapes in the rubble. So we engraved "In memory of America's finest" on a few hundred knives and donated them to the clean up crew. Since most of the folks running into the buildings when everyone else was running out, were carrying our knives. We went a step further and designed a special model, invented a new lock and made a World Trade Center Commemorative model. Sold 2800 pc at full boat (even our family had to pay for ours), changed the mold so no more could be made and donated 100% of the profit to the "Widows and Orphans fund". Both the Clean up models and the WTC models are hard to find these says.

sal
That is awesome, Sal. I just googled it. Is that where the lock on my Manix LW originated?

Since you are telling stories, I have seen your tool for freeing fish and other sea creatures from nets and lines. How did that come about?

Yes DMG,

That's where the lock originated. I invented the Ball lock and then Eric invented the caged ball.

When Western Australia was having trouble trying to cut lines off of trapped whales, a custom knife-maker in New Zealand, named "Steele" Designed a blade that was designed to cut through the lines trapping whales. But they couldn't get through them. Steele said that there was a company in the US that made a special serrated edge that he felt would work. Western Australia contacted Massachusetts and they contacted us through Kristi. Kristi thought we could try to make their blade which I approved of and we made the first prototype out of 440C and sent it to Western Australia. They used the blade at the convention and cut through 5" line easily. The next day they saved their first whale using our "Whale Rescue Blade". We've saved quite a few since then.

We made the blade for Whale Rescue worldwide, first from 440C and then from H1. Maybe we can get Kristi to add more info and videos?

sal

As always, Spyderco, Sal, and the company as whole exemplify class. It's not surprising, but it is always nice to see reiterated.

Back