Who Else Has Lost One?

My reply to Alberta Ed's awesome custom 112 thread got me to thinking. I had mentioned in that thread that I lost my Vantage (for a very short time thankfully). Prior to that, I have lost a 55 and another Vantage at this same job (and I've only been there 3 years or so!). I was a cop for over 20 years and never lost a knife, now granted this job is much more physical-lots of in and out of the pickup, moving stuff around, etc but still 3 knives in 3 years is no good. The 55 I have no clue about, it rode in my front right pocket for years and one day I came home and when I emptied my pockets it was gone. The first Vantage I kept clipped to my cargo pant pocket, same thing, came home-knife gone. In that case I went back and watched the security camera footage and I narrowed it down to a 1 hour window of when I lost it but no luck in finding it when I retraced my steps. In this case last week I came home for lunch and discovered it missing. I had taken a fake Christmas tree out of our house to donate to the church where I work and suspected it had gotten caught up in the branches. My wife noted that was probably the case as I had a tough time getting up the stairs (I left it opened up so as to make it easier to set up next year at the church and not have it all crammed in a box) and used my usual method of removing stubborn items: brute force and foul language. Anyway, I shook the crap out of that tree but no knife. The next day (now carrying my Ranger in it's sheath), I checked the security video again-sure enough, I can see the clip attached to my pocket about 15 mins before I go home for lunch. I went back to the tree, now stored in the old convent and vowed to remove every branch if necessary to find it. Lo and behold, look what I found on one of the wires of the lights!

Although not a Buck, the only other knife I ever lost was the first fixed blade knife I bought, when I was about 12 years old. Some piece of crap I got from the old Caldor department store, but I loved it. I was down at the river that ran behind our property and was up in a tree that hung over the water, just hanging out. (Yes, I was a strange child). I had the knife out and it slipped right out of my hand into the water! I splashed down in there as it was close to shore, but no luck, it was gone. I still miss that knife....

Anyone else ever lost a Buck?

Buckaroo,

"...brute force and foul language." I belong to that school too, works every time! :)

Lost Buck knives: not sure if they are permanently lost, but I'm having trouble finding the following:

- Black mid '80s Bucklite 422, black sheath
- Mid '70s Buck 301, a hard luck knife that I picked up for a song and the good folks at Buck restored to sublime condition

Glad you found your knife, that's a great day. Particularly in that Christmas tree.

I misplaced the 110 I carried in the Navy for a long time then found it a year or so ago. That's the only time. Glad it wasn't gone for good.

I lost a 110 while deer hunting a few years back. I had that knife since 1986. I looked everywhere and even looked with a metal detector but no luck.

I found the lost knife in a warm winter jacket I stored away during the summer.

Haebbie

Lol, guess I'm not the only one. Wallace Mutt, just did that myself the other day. Threw the clothes in the dryer and then 10 mins later, "what the heck is that racket?" Oops, American Eagle Gent that replaced the 55 was banging around in my work pants. At least it's nice and clean now! I'd say misplaced counts as well, I've done that myself too. Looking through a box of gun stuff one day found a Buck I didn't realize was gone. It was like getting it brand new all over again.

I left a 103 Skinner from a 117 trophy set in the rafters of a friend of a friend's shed,when we were skinning a deer in 1971.Since this shed was was 20 miles from my house,I never did find my way back and recover this knife.It was so long ago I don't remember what happened to the sheath or the remaining knife,the 116 Caper.A great loss,considering the rarity of these sets in todays knife world.

I lost a 303 Cadet some years ago. I was opening an item I had to assemble with several inner packages I used the knife to open. I had a pile of wrapping paper and empty boxes strung around all over the floor. When I looked for the knife I could not find it. I went thru ever piece of paper and every box without success.
I went to Sear and bought this thing and another later. Both the Buck and Sears are made by Camillus and nearly identical.

DSC02535_zpswhlqxctv.jpg

The spare is still in the box with the receipt dated 1995 and papers.

Back in 2011 I lost my original Vantage Pro Small (early version without FRN)... I really loved that knife.

My sad tale starts a few months ago. .I keep my 112's I display in a heavy bag stored in old socks so they don't get banged around any away from the leather sheiths so that they keep there patina. I put them away in late 2014 after the Blade show and when I looked around September I am missing a dozen or so. One is the last custom shop 112 partial chip flint NS Buffalo horn. Another is a burl handle mirror polished Gen 5 award knife I received in 2011 at the Blade Show .I'm looking in every box and tote in my house for missing sheiths and Buck boxes but so far no luck. After the show in 2014 I lost track of them. I don't play often with the bulk of my collection so I am assuming that the wife or kids stashed the container in some out of the way place. I will give a update in this thread when and if I find them..I'm afraid that a upset boyfriend of one of my granddaughter's might have took the bag or a kid burglar in a quick raid on my house. .I would remind yall that all the paperwork, boxes, sheiths are a valuable part of your collection and keep better track of them than I did.

I carried a 1st version bucklite 422 for close to 20 years. Other than a 309 in my tackle box, they were about the only two knives I owned. I used it for everything, hunting, fishing, camping, hiking. It was lost or stolen around 2005. I went from 2005 to 2012 without even really carrying a knife on me except when hunting or fishing and it was an oldtimer stockman. In 2012, I found a 2nd version bucklite in a flea market and found this site while researching the knife on what year it was, and it has been all downhill form there and I have spent too much money on knives, but I guess there are worst things I could do than collect knives. I probably have close to a dozen first version Bucklites in my collection now, but I'd love to find my first one! Anytime I clean anything out, I check to make sure that knife isn't in with the stuff I'm getting rid of. I planted a bunch of planted pines around the time it came up missing, so whenever i'm in those pines, I still keep my eye out for it.

My sad tale starts a few months ago. .I keep my 112's I display in a heavy bag stored in old socks so they don't get banged around any away from the leather sheiths so that they keep there patina. I put them away in late 2014 after the Blade show and when I looked around September I am missing a dozen or so. One is the last custom shop 112 partial chip flint NS Buffalo horn. Another is a burl handle mirror polished Gen 5 award knife I received in 2011 at the Blade Show .I'm looking in every box and tote in my house for missing sheiths and Buck boxes but so far no luck. After the show in 2014 I lost track of them. I don't play often with the bulk of my collection so I am assuming that the wife or kids stashed the container in some out of the way place. I will give a update in this thread when and if I find them..I'm afraid that a upset boyfriend of one of my granddaughter's might have took the bag or a kid burglar in a quick raid on my house. .I would remind yall that all the paperwork, boxes, sheiths are a valuable part of your collection and keep better track of them than I did.

Bucksway, that's horrible, a dozen knives in one shot. Hope they weren't stolen and turn yup somewhere.

I planted a bunch of planted pines around the time it came up missing, so whenever i'm in those pines, I still keep my eye out for it.
I used to do the same thing with the one I dropped in the river, especially in winter, I'd lay on the bank and stare down into the ice. My parents sold the house about 15 years after I lost it, I actually walked down to the river on their last day there just to check one more time, as if it'd actually be there lol. No luck!

I hope that you can find out where they are or what really happened to all of those knives.

Best wishes to you.

Cate

I have lost count of the number of knives that I have owned that have come up missing since I was a child. I got my first knife when I was six. It was a tiny automatic knife with pearl scales. It came up missing one day after school. I probably lost it on the playground or in the woods after school. I have lost a ton of Barlows of good manufacture rough housing, playing foot ball in the yard, or playing in the fields and forests of my youth. I lost a lock back Trapper made by Buck (Camillus). Two knives though, that really make me sore were stolen. I had a Camillus Boy Scout Knife (Stockman) that my best friend stole from me and tried to cover it up. I also had a stag handled Buck 501 that I carried daily stolen from my locker at a local gym.

I have seen people loose knives over the years, especially when hunting. I do not know how many I have seen come back from the woods, with or without a deer, with an empty sheath where their hunting knife should have been. That has never happened to me but it is a common enough occurrence. I think that is why Buck went with a flap sheath back in the 60's and 70's.

My son lost an Alaskan guide 110 in it's sheath somewhere along a mile or so walk while coming in from a deer hunt. A week later my foot rolled on it as I was walking out of the same are. It was in the middle of a harvested 30 acre corn field. Lucky.

I still check an area of woods for a Nighthawk I lost many years ago now. Still bothers me.

Back