(who) European-style swordsmiths taking commissions?

I've been out of the game for quite a while. My last post was on sword-forum but it looks like this is the place to be for traffic now.

A lot of the smiths I used to be familiar with are no longer accepting custom commissions anymore, etc. or their websites are gone.

Who are the experienced custom makers of high quality European/Oakeshott style swords in the $900+ price range these days.
While on the subject, makers of fine scabbards? There used to be a guy in Utah, but I've lost the contact info.

I've been out of the game for quite a while. My last post was on sword-forum but it looks like this is the place to be for traffic now.

A lot of the smiths I used to be familiar with are no longer accepting custom commissions anymore, etc. or their websites are gone.

Who are the experienced custom makers of high quality European/Oakeshott style swords in the $900+ price range these days.
While on the subject, makers of fine scabbards? There used to be a guy in Utah, but I've lost the contact info.

Found this in a search. Stuff looked pretty impressive
https://www.castlekeep.co.uk

Sword Buyers Guide and facebook groups. $900 doesn't go very far these days.
Agree many high good quality production swords are more than that, and high end production swords a significantly more. If the OP will tell us what he is looking for maybe we can vector him in. European / Oakeshott swords covers a lot of territory....

Not sure who the maker in Utah might have been, are you sure it wasn't Hrisoulas in Nevada?

Thanks for the replies. After a little browsing, I'm seeing that $900 doesn't get what it used to. Going to have to bump that figure up.
And yes, Castle Keep does make good swords (I'm glad to see Rob mentioned). I have a knight's that cost me (if I remember right, get this.. about $500 shipped. But yes it was many years ago). I wish his queue was shorter but it makes me happy to know he's still busy and working.

The guy making scabbards wasn't Jim Hrisoulas. In fact, I didn't know he made scabbards. I'm assuming then that his health has improved if he's working again? Excellent news. Jim made some of the prettiest pattern welding I've ever seen. I especially like his black blades. Extraordinary.

I want to say the scabbard guy's name was Taylor. Then again, maybe he lived in Taylorsville, Utah. I'm guessing he's no longer doing work, otherwise one of you guys would definitely know who I'm referring to. A really gifted leatherworker. His quality was something you'd see encasing a Jake Powning or Peter Johnsson sword.

Again, thanks for the responses. I'm happy to see the community continues. I was a little concerned when I saw the lack at myarmoury.com and swordforum. That place used to be huge! I wonder what happened.

Triton, to answer your question, the concept is sort of a conglomeration of a few pieces from different eras thrown together into one sword. There is a beauty of a sword labelled 'Riding Sword' at Rochlitz castle. It is multi-fullered with a twisted bar for a crossbar, I believe from mid 15th C. A similar piece at Colditz Castle may have been made by the same smith (doesn't have the ornamental twisted bar crossbar however).
Another interesting piece is a 14th C sword labelled a 'Katzbalger' at Gera Stadtsmuseum, but the blade is certainly too long for what we'd consider a typical katzbalger. From what I recall, the blade was at least 32 inches, and quite heavy, and the handle was a hand-and-a-half. I'm especially interested in the crossbar additions however, as this piece had multiple rings. Almost as if it predated the trend by more than a hundred years?
There is also a type XIIa or XVII at Dresdener Rustkammer, and a Passauer Wolf who inspire this idea meld.
Barrett once made a blade almost exactly what I'm looking for, but it appears he's gone the way of Howard Clark into making exclusively Japanese weaponry.

Thanks for the replies. After a little browsing, I'm seeing that $900 doesn't get what it used to. Going to have to bump that figure up.
And yes, Castle Keep does make good swords (I'm glad to see Rob mentioned). I have a knight's that cost me (if I remember right, get this.. about $500 shipped. But yes it was many years ago). I wish his queue was shorter but it makes me happy to know he's still busy and working.

The guy making scabbards wasn't Jim Hrisoulas. In fact, I didn't know he made scabbards. I'm assuming then that his health has improved if he's working again? Excellent news. Jim made some of the prettiest pattern welding I've ever seen. I especially like his black blades. Extraordinary.

I want to say the scabbard guy's name was Taylor. Then again, maybe he lived in Taylorsville, Utah. I'm guessing he's no longer doing work, otherwise one of you guys would definitely know who I'm referring to. A really gifted leatherworker. His quality was something you'd see encasing a Jake Powning or Peter Johnsson sword.

Again, thanks for the responses. I'm happy to see the community continues. I was a little concerned when I saw the lack at myarmoury.com and swordforum. That place used to be huge! I wonder what happened.

Ahh sorry I missed the "scabbard" bit about the Utah maker. I will bow out of that part of the conversation since I might be accused of drumming up business without having purchased a makers membership here.:)

Triton, to answer your question, the concept is sort of a conglomeration of a few pieces from different eras thrown together into one sword. There is a beauty of a sword labelled 'Riding Sword' at Rochlitz castle. It is multi-fullered with a twisted bar for a crossbar, I believe from mid 15th C. A similar piece at Colditz Castle may have been made by the same smith (doesn't have the ornamental twisted bar crossbar however).
Another interesting piece is a 14th C sword labelled a 'Katzbalger' at Gera Stadtsmuseum, but the blade is certainly too long for what we'd consider a typical katzbalger. From what I recall, the blade was at least 32 inches, and quite heavy, and the handle was a hand-and-a-half. I'm especially interested in the crossbar additions however, as this piece had multiple rings. Almost as if it predated the trend by more than a hundred years?
There is also a type XIIa or XVII at Dresdener Rustkammer, and a Passauer Wolf who inspire this idea meld.
Barrett once made a blade almost exactly what I'm looking for, but it appears he's gone the way of Howard Clark into making exclusively Japanese weaponry.

I think Rick Barrett is getting out of the sword business entirely. It's a shame he had talent, but there you go. You might contact the guys at Arms and Armor, they will do custom work and they certainly know their way around Writhen crosses and pommels. Other than that you might look into some of our Eastern European friends or Leo Todochini (spelling?) of Tods stuff. The list of custom smiths for European swords is vanishingly small these days now that I think about it....

No, I am in Alabama. If you are really interested a little searching on "custom scabbards" might point you in the right direction. I should note that Vince Evans is one of the if not the best sword smith out there (a case could be made for Peter Johnson and a couple of others) although I am sure you knew that. Just thought I would mention that...

I didn't know Vince was still making swords. That's great!
Also, if you're Triton of Tritonworks we might be talking if I can ever find a bladesmith... :)

Yep Vince is still at it, but he rarely takes a commission I think. If something interests him he makes it and it sells. He is that talented.

I will find an email for you. I had a type XVa made last year by a talented guy out of Eastern Europe. He might take on such a project I do not know.

Back