Who has a Jess Horn model?

Kodiak PA

Gold Member
What do you think of the Jess Horn model? Anyone who has one, let me know what you think about it. I have a Light Weight in the mail now.

TIA

------------------

~Greg~

I had one.

Gave it to my Dad, but I hear he doesn't like it much, he says the false edge makes it a pig sticker.

So I may get it back.

That would be fine by me, I like a lot, that is why I gave it to him, no accounting for taste.

I plan on getting some of the AG Russell versions as well.

------------------
One may want to keep an Eye out for my review of the Bob Kasper designed, Kevin Gentile modified AFCK and interview of Bob Kasper.

Marion David Poff fka Eye, one can msg me at mdpoff@hotmail.com

Patiently waiting for the Spyderco SpydeRench, Lum Chinese Chopper Folder, Rolling Lock Martial Folder, Shabaria and JD Smith, heck if it si from Spyderco I'm anxious; REKAT Escalator and Pat Crawford design.

"The victorious Warrior wins first and then goes to war, while the defeated Warrior goes to war and then seeks to win" Sun-Tzu

Greg I
I have been carrying the Micarta model un-serrated since they were introduced. Its a great second carry blade.I remember that of all the factory knives I've aquired this one came the sharpest bar none. Very pointy little critter good for dine or delicate cutting chores. I recomend it highly. I to am looking at the Russell version but wonder at the ease of opening since it only has a nail nick.Any comments on that model anyone?
Bob

Hey Greg-I've got the AG Russell exclusive with flat ground blade and Rucarta sides.Lack of metal liners leaves a little bit of side to side blade play.The blade did come very sharp and still is. I didn't know what to expect from AUS-8 but I've been very happy with it.The clip doesn't allow for deep pocket carry and the lockback is quite secure.Fit and finish are excellent.That's about it other than " I really love this knife"(that's gotta be #8,even I'm gettin tired of hearing it!
smile.gif
) Mike K.

Hey Greg-I've got the AG Russell exclusive with flat ground blade and Rucarta sides.Lack of metal liners leaves a little bit of side to side blade play.The blade did come very sharp and still is. I didn't know what to expect from AUS-8 but I've been very happy with it.The clip doesn't allow for deep pocket carry and the lockback is quite secure.Fit and finish are excellent.That's about it other than " I really love this knife"(that's gotta be #8,even I'm gettin tired of hearing it!
smile.gif
) Mike K. Dammit-that's my first double post.I'm now a member of a not-to-exclusive club.

[This message has been edited by Hammer (edited 31 January 1999).]

I had bought the black micarta handeled one with a fully serrated blade when they first came out. I hated it. The first one I got was such poor quality that I thought it was defective and sent it back with a letter (for an exchange). The second one I got was just as bad so i sent it back too.

It's a shame because I really wanted to like this knife but, it was really a POS. I love Spyderco knives and have bought many since then. But, Jess Horn lost all credibility in my mind because I expected more from a knife with his name on it.

Bernie

The Jess Horn Spyderco's are amongst my favorite every-day lockback knives. The knife design is a gentleman's style, not really a hard workin' style, but it is strong enough (and sharp enough) for tougher tasks. I own and use the micarta and ltwt. versions, both with plain edges. I do have a combo ltwt., too. Another favorite one is the A.G.Russell-exclusive 3/4 size Horn in with stainless handle. It's the perfect "dressy", but usable knife to throw into your pocket (I removed my clip). It fits the gap nicely between a ladybug/Baby Wayne Goddard and the full-size horn as far as usability. The lady bug and B.W.G. are not really one-hand openers (unless you have some really small hands!), but make good gentleman's knives (especially the carbon fiber lady bug). The full size Horn is almost a little too big to throw into the pocket, but is a great one-hand opener. The 3/4 size Horn can be opened with one hand and fits the pocket nicely. I still would like to get a 3/4 size in micarta, though. Those stainless knives are heavy little dudes, even the small ones. At least you can feel if they're still in your pocket!

I got my fiance a Baby Jess Horn for her birthday, and it's a really slick little knife. Very aharp, and extremely well-made... the seams between the blade, liner, and locking bar nearly vanish when the knife is locked open. I'm thinking seriously of picking one up just for my collection, I like it so much.

I received the JH Lt Wt and boy was I pleased. It's a nice knife, no doubt about that. Has a nice sharp A8 blade out of the box, very nice action with a nice snap to it. Very elegant especially the black 3 screw pocket clip with a gold spider. Very well done pocket knife. The scales have the words "Jess Horn" impregnanted over and over again on the handle which gives a nice secure grip. Highly recommended.

Thanks for the great deal Chad!

------------------

~Greg~

Back