Who has best fit+finish in under $500 custom folder?

Brett, I would have to say Bud Weston, in addition to Brian Tighe...

------------------
"Anyone who says he can see through a woman is missing a lot".
-Groucho Marx

[This message has been edited by Kwaiken56 (edited 02-23-2001).]

I just remembered Mel Pardue makes some excellent tactical folders with some heft to them also.

I'm partial to fixed blades, but in the "best bang for your buck" category I'd like to mention Ray Rogers' folders.
smile.gif
Another name not mentioned yet is Keith Coleman.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by richard rosvall (edited 02-24-2001).]

Ray Rogers,A lot of bang for the buck.
Larry Chew and his "Voodoo"

------------------

have a"knife"day

I'd agree with Nifrand that Ray Rogers offers great bang for the buck Ray's Website

Right at the $500 mark Tom Mayo's TNT has excellent fit and finish...definitly a great knife. Tom's Site

Between Ray and Tom in price range, Larry Davidson makes some nice knives also. He's licensed to use Larry Chew's VooDoo bearings, and the action on his knives are unreal. Larry D's Site

~Mitch

------------------
My Hobby Page

I can only go from what I know, and that would mean that I would recommend Kit Carson and Darrel Ralph. Just going by what I have seen, but without personal experience, I sure like the way Tom Mayo's knives look.

Keith.

D.C. Munroe, Darrel Ralph, Andre de Villiers.

------------------
Pain was made for the weak!

Thanks for all the recommendations!

Based on comments here and some good luck searching the auction sites, I just bought two second-hand customs: an Andre DeVilliers Sparrowhawk, and a Crawford KFF. I have also started an email exchange with Ray Rogers about a possible custom project. As others said, he's great to work with.

Now if I can just sell enough of my other stuff to pay for these knives!

-Brett

Too many to mention, but my shortlist would include: Kit Carson, Darrel Ralph, Keith Coleman, Greg Lightfoot and Joel Chamblin.

I plan to have at least one folder from each of the above makers in my collection.

Red

------------------
"Praise not the day until evening has come;a sword until it is tried; ice until it has been crossed; beer until it has been drunk" - Viking proverb

[This message has been edited by redvenom (edited 02-28-2001).]

Well said Red! I agree wholeheartedly with you on Darrel and Keith. I have more than one from each of these makers. I am really looking forward to adding something from Mr. Carson in the near future as well.

Outside of the tactical realm, Russell Easler offers near flawless finish work in his traditional folders that are priced in the substantially less $250-$400 range.

I'll vote for these from either ownership or handling of multiple of their knives at more than one show (consistency issue):

* Kit Carson (own 3)
* JW Smith (handled many, would own if right knife at right price pops up)
* Joel Chamblin (handled many, will own soon)
* Darrel Ralph (own 1)
* Greg Lightfoot (will own 1 April)
* David Broadwell (own LDC-107 & high end folder, and 5 fixed blades)
* Chris Reeve (Own 2, high end production really, but fit/finish very precision and consistent... ahhh CNC)
* Bob Terzuola (own 2)

I've handled knives by about 1/2 of the others recommended by others on this thread. Some to keep an eye out for: Aaron Frederick, JW Smith's son (Chris?). Smith has taught both these guys well.

Watch for and handle work by Derek Munroe, Bud Weston, Larry Chew, Tom Mayo, Anderson, Ken Onion.

Elischewitz and Crawford need to spend more time on hand fitting their knives or precision for more parts via CNC or whatever. These guys charge the same as makers who do much more precision work.

You should attend a big show and handle a bunch of folders and you'll see why so many repeat votes for some and not for others. I repeat...examine repeat votes. There is no substitute for a multi-day effort to handle folders ... you can eyeball designs, hold and feel for sharp edges vs. rounded, and cycle actions on more than a hundred knives if you keep moving.

Would recommend that you might also call and talk with Les Robertson at Robertson's Custom Cutlery. Les has taught me much, steered me around stuff well, and sold me a bunch of fine knives, and will shoot you a very straight, no-holds-barred story on fit/finish issues.
robertsoncustomcutlery.com

[This message has been edited by rdangerer (edited 02-28-2001).]

Amen rdangerer!
Very well said...precision and consistent tolerance is what I'm sold on. If hand made custom knives can't reflect those standards, then I'll just have to settle for my production Chris Reeve.

[This message has been edited by Bob Litt (edited 02-28-2001).]

Thanks Rob,

Fit and finish many times is in the "eye of the beholder". This of course has a direct bearing on this thread and the posts found within.

The main questions here are:

Exactly how well are your eyeballs "calibrated"?

For those of you who have listed multiple knives. How many of these have you been able to compare side by side? If you own all you listed and have spent hours looking at them. Then your eyeballs are probably calibrated enough to make a good reccomendation. If not and you are going off of memory then you may not be doing yourself or other collectors any favors by commenting here.

When you get an opinion from someone on where to spend $500, consider the experience and the background of the source.

This is not to say that the members who have posted here do not have their eyeballs calibrated.

I will tell you that some of the makers listed here, are being put in this category with other makers who do a superior job of fit and finish. It would appear that this has a little appearance of a popularity contest.

One of the things I do admire about some of the makers listed here is that they are never happy with their fit and finish. The Japenese call it Kai Zen, continuous improvement. Something I always look for.

Two makers who I consider to be not only world class makers, but my friends as well. Realized that their knives were not as good as they could be. Yes, both could have let it go and continued to sell all that they could make.

These makers are Darrel Ralph and Brian Tighe.

Darrel was unhappy about the finish on his blades for both Apogee and EDC. Now it was not a bad finish. But Darrel always looking for way to improve, came up with even a better finish on his blades. So yes, a good thing can get better.

Recently, at the Las Veagas Classic Knife Show I got to look at some of Brian's newest Tighe Pans. I was blown away at the incredible fit and finish on his 6K Tighe Pans. Brian's improvement over some of his earlier Tighe Tacs was very evident.

I agree with many of the makers on this list for excellent fit and finish under $500.

However, you left a few names off:

Jim Hammond
Jim Minnick
Ken Onion

For you collectors out there, do your homework. There is a difference between a good maker and a great maker (even under $500).

Regarding calibration of your eyeballs. Ask yourself these question:

Can I tell by looking at a folder blade for less than 5 seconds whether a knife maker is left or right handed? If not, your eyeballs are not calibrated.

If you can tell the difference, congratulations you now can do some closer comparison.

Now look for the makers knives who appear to be ambidextrous! They are not, however their grinding makes them appear so.

You find the "ambidextrous makers", you are on the road that leads to the best fit and finish.

For all of you who have listed makers on this thread. Please look at your knives. If you can tell whether they are right or left handed. Please edit your post and remove the maker name(s).

If you can't tell if they are right or left handed (unless they are "ambidextrous"). Please edit your post and remove your name.

Guys I don't mean to be overly brutal here. But if you are going to make a recommendation to someone to buy a $500 knife. At least know what you are talking about. Just because the knife is the "Flavor of the Month" on BF, doesn't mean it's the best buy for your money.

I know I just PO'd a bunch of people. That's understandable. However, I post things like this to remove potential problems down the road.

By making these statments, collectors know where I stand on certain things. Just like on the The Knife Collector List (TKC-L), ever one knows there I hate Jigged Bone, Brass, Nickel Silver and Mokume for the purposes of being used as materials in any part of a custom knife. Exception: Reproduction of factory knvies (i.e. Tony Bose and Eugene Shadley) or a reproduction of a period piece that would call for those materials to make the knife accurate.

For the most part collectors do not bring knvies back to the makers to trade them in.
However, you will bring them to a dealer. I am always happy to look at any one's knives.

However, when you bring me a knife to trade or try and sell to me. You now know I look to see if they are "ambidextrous". If not, I will not be quick to make the trade.

So this just saves us both times.

The more educated you are, the more informed decisions you will make.

For those of you who will never sell any knives they buy. Wouldn't you prefer to have gotten the very best you can for the amount of money you have to spend.

Acutally, isn't that true for anyone buying anything.

Remember my first rule, buy what you like.

For those of you going to the East Coast Custom Knife Show next week in New York. Please feel free to come by my table and if you don't know how to tell if a maker is left or right handed Ill be happy to show you.

Im not looking for a flame war. This is why I made no reference to a specific maker(except in a postive light) or forum member.
smile.gif

------------------
Les Robertson
www.robertsoncustomcutlery.com
Custom Knife Entrepreneur

Les,

I look forward to reading your insightful posts. You have probably handled as many $500 folders as all the responders to this thread together. I consider myself to be somewhat of a custom folder novice.

I fully agree with your comments about Darrel. I recently sent my EDC back in for a tune up. Darrel refinished the knife for me as well for free. The new finish he is now using on his Ti frames (bought mine back in August) is much nicer looking and more durable as well. I also recently read about him changing his blade finish and grind (from flat to a shallow hollow grind). All in the name of improvement. It is indeed noticeable and appreciated.

Les,

With all due respect, can a person be right or left handed AND ambidextrous?

Chris

Back