Who has the CRKT Sting?

It is a little slick. If you want it for nostalgia reasons I would say get it because it’s cheap. But for small daggers the mini Sog pentagon is much more “ practical” as a “user”.

It is a little slick. If you want it for nostalgia reasons I would say get it because it’s cheap. But for small daggers the mini Sog pentagon is much more “ practical” as a “user”.
Would you happen to know about the AG Russell Sting? Is it less practical?

I own one, the CRKT 2020 is a piece of junk. Tiny sharpened edge (it's actually only sharpened from the tip to the R in CRKT in your link), slippery finish, overly heavy, horrifying sheath system. For a much better user version track down the discontinued CRKT 2025 Sting 3b model. Or pony up and get the real version from AG Russell.

The CRKT version I bought a few months ago as a gift for someone was decently sharp to really sharp, and it was sharpened up to about where the silver line ends in the website photo.

The sheath is workable, but not really nice at all, and the straps are tiny. I have no idea who they were sizing them for, maybe a petite woman could make some use of them.

They are heavish knives, I don't find it horrible, as the extra weight happens with all drop forged knives. It is a tiny knife in real life, it sorta reminds me of a beefy OSS lapel dagger in hand. There isn't much utility in it, truth be told, it holds best in a horizontal grip, and works best for stabbing and mild slashing.

It's decent for what it is. It's small, heavy for its size, slick, and the sheath sucks, but the knife is OK. Mine was sharp enough, for me. Especially for the cost. There's better out there, for sure, but for an inexpensive drop-forged stabby thing, it's at least decent. Would probably help to have a better sheath made...

Last edited:
rtz rtz ,

The Boker isn't really a Boker. Magnum is their cheap import line. Most are made in China. Prices are low, quality acceptable for the price point.
Boker Plus is their mid-grade line, still imported but not so well-represented by China. More practicality, a definite step up in quality.
THEN you get to Boker! Mostly made in Germany, and prices commensurate with the generally noticeably higher quality fit, finish, and materials.

I agree. I've got both knives and the Sog mini Pentagon handle is much better. I also think that the Pentagon blade is superior. The Sting is aesthetically pleasing but not good for much and I regret buying it.

i

I own one, the CRKT 2020 is a piece of junk. Tiny sharpened edge (it's actually only sharpened from the tip to the R in CRKT in your link), slippery finish, overly heavy, horrifying sheath system. For a much better user version track down the discontinued CRKT 2025 Sting 3b model. Or pony up and get the real version from AG Russell.

I agree it sux, but it is a AGR product, they had an exclusive on it at the beginning. I lusted after it until I got to hold one.

Pentagon is better. The original Sting is too heavy for its size and intended use.

I got a Tak Fukata designed and made dagger, branded American Blade, sold by Parker, model AB-28. Much nicer knife. Horn handles, three sided hollow grind, great leather sheath. Stabber, slicer, lighter and prettier. $60 at a gun show.

I have one.

Nice small size concealable (legality aside) pretty much anywhere on your body (w/the sheath/straps provided) that you'd want to put it. Criticize the steel if you like but it "will cut" and used in SD (the puprose for which it is designed).

And how about the bigger Pentagon?
I also have the larger Pentagon and it's one of my favorite daggers. It looks elegant and deadly and I like the one side serrated and one side plain feature. Apparently Sog is bringing out new blacked out versions of both Pentagon models but with both sides plain.
Another dagger almost the same size as the Sting is the Cold Steel Counter-tac II which has a thicker and much more grippy handle.

Back