Who is copying who?

Went to the BX today and was looking at the selection of knives that they had. What caught my eye was a Gerber AR3.0 next to a Winchester brand knive that except for where the Gerber had black rubber (or Plastic) the Winchester model had imitation wood. Other than that the two knives were almost identical (at least from what I could tell looking through the clampack) except for the price. The Winchester was about $11 and the Gerber was nearly $30.

Are Gerber and Winchester having blades made in the same facility? If so who is copying who? Having never handled a Winchester brand knife, I have no idea about the quality of them. Is Gerber going downhill with its quality?

i have the gerber and it is a very nice knife...hasnt let me down yet and have had it for over a year...when i got the knife it was only being made by gerber that i have noticed........

I thought that Winchester is cheaper brand of Gerber company, isn't it? And AR was originally designed by Bill Harsey...

Gerber is making many of the Winchester knives these days, they just have the rights to use the Winchester name (a recent development).

Winchester has never made their own knives, at least not in the last 30 or so years.

I believe Bluegrass Cutlery still makes several Winchesters that are produced by Queen and there are also a lot of Winchesters being imported by someone, don't know who.

The Bluegrass/Queen Winchesters are the ones that cost in the $75+ range where the imports are $5-$15 so it shouldn't be hard to tell the difference.

Hope that helps.

Back