Who likes the Spyderco Viele

I have a Spyderco Viele in vg-10. It is a beautiful knife, great size, great steel, smooooth. I lurk here more than I post, and I rarely see anyone talking about this knife. I am not sure why. I don't have any other Spyderco knives, mainly because I don't care for the way most look (opinion only). I here great things about other spydies, but not much about the Viele. Any opinions? I've also put this blade up for trade a few times (glad I still have it), and never a peep. Just curious. Have a great day. Josh

It's one of those Spydercos I haven't owned, but if I run up on a good deal, I'll buy one. I've handled it, and I must say that it is one of the smoothest folders in existence. That blade just glides open.

I just seem to keep pushing the Viele back down my list and getting something else. Not sure why, cause I really like it.

I love my Viele, I have the serrated one. I'm going to purchase a plain edge soon ( next pay day)and it'll probably become my primary off duty carry knife.

I have one for sale. It's an older, AUS-8A. Been carried, but I don't think it's ever cut anything.

Mike

The Viele was the first Spydie I ever owned.Very classy knife and as stated by Guyon,very smooth.I had a problem with mine that was never answered to my satisfaction though.The liner lock traveled all the way to the far side of the blade from day one.There was never any blade play in any direction.It bothered me enough that I ended up selling the knife to someone that was more interested in placing it in a collection then using it.I`d like to know where the lock on yours rests in relation to the blade spine.

Mine goes all the way across as well.

It does seem kinda "odd", but it works fine.

Mike

I think all of the old style knives had lock travel all the way over. I think that is why they came out with the new style. I had both. I disliked the old, the new with VG10 has been my EDC since I got it.

I bought an old style serrated and liked it so much I bought a new style plain edge. The lock on the old one ran all the way across the tang since the day I bought it, but has never exhibited any looseness or other problems. The new one is perfect in this regard plus it has many other minor changes that make it much more solid feeling while retaining the smoothness. A truly great knife.

GronK

That's interesting; the lkg. lnr. on my old style Viele travels all the way accross also. Mine was used when I got it, so I just figured that was the natural evolution of wear. However, no blade wobble at all and a very smooth action. It's one of my favorite carries and I wouldn't hesitate to get one of the newer models.

I have one of the old ones. I don't carry it as much as I used to, but it's still my favorite Spyderco. Slick, smooth, great feel and very well made.

Great folder! I havent tried the new ones with the VG10, but never had any complaint with the AUS8A blades.

They're nice enough. Personally I think the "Spyderhole" is too small, and the blade-detent is to strong -- or some combinatio of the two.

Otherwise I like it a lot. Just a pet peeve.

Mike

I really liked the one I had. Very classy, but fairly large, too. Mine was vg10, and smooth. I just had too many knives that were large, and traded for some smaller knives. I'm glad to hear the you like it Magician! Josh, enjoy your knife, and know that it is well liked and respected. I will probably own one again, and this time, I won't let it go.

DD

I also have one of the new ones in VG-10. Love it lots. A little heavier than my William Henry Evolution in VG-10, but not too much. It's practically my EDC now, except that I'm still trying very hard to carry some of my other knives so they don't feel left out. :)

Pet peeve with the Spydie Viele and other similar knives is the lack of contour on the handle to stop your hand sliding forward when wet. Hasn't happened to me yet because I'm very careful with it, but I sure wouldn't want it to happen because those babies slice like a scapel and hold that edge for a darn long time.

Fortunately, this little short-coming lets me justify carrying this other blade that has a good solid finger contours (but doesn't look as classy :p).

Back