who makes a quality sword cane?

anyone out there own a good sword cane?

i know that cold steal makes one but id rather not give them my money if there is a better option.

Atlanta Cutlery makes a half-way decent one for not too much. Coincidentally it's the same one used in Batman Begins, but I got mine years before the movie came out. Carbon steel blade, too. Not as nice as the CS ones but great for the money.

Click

Rats ... I can't quite remember.

I believe there's a South African firm that does this. I just can't bring it to mind. Sorry about that.

I suggest against the Atlanta Cutlery model.

I have one. Got it in a trade. It's useless. The blade is ridiculously whippy, which makes decent cuts difficult, and proper thrusts impossible. "Rapier" blade, my buttocks.

I'm contemplating just giving the thing away.

I suggest against the Atlanta Cutlery model.

I have one. Got it in a trade. It's useless. The blade is ridiculously whippy, which makes decent cuts difficult, and proper thrusts impossible. "Rapier" blade, my buttocks.

I'm contemplating just giving the thing away.

You won't commonly find sword canes that are well suited to cutting. The narrow width (by necessity) ends up creating too much of a decrease in sectional density--there's not enough blade mass. Too bad yours was a dud. Mine's plenty stiff.

The Burger canes are some of the best out there from what I've heard. If you don't mind spending that much for one go for it!

maybe if i was an old man and used one on a daily basis. i think for once cold steal might be the only company producing what im looking for, except for the tom brown tracker i tend to shy away from things that were in movies.

Thanks for the suggestions if there are any more please keep them coming. this is not in the near future but im always updateing the list o knives.

The bergers look exquisite btw

Don't underestimate the defensive capability of a good, solid cane, without a blade.

Especially if you have a bad knee or something, you can get a prescription from your doctor for a cane. This looks MUCH better when you're in court for defending yourself.

Don't underestimate the defensive capability of a good, solid cane, without a blade.

Especially if you have a bad knee or something, you can get a prescription from your doctor for a cane. This looks MUCH better when you're in court for defending yourself.

I like them just for their appeal. They're like switch blades I can't carry them but I still like them. They're not many places where sword cains are legal. In States that issue "weapons" permits they may or may not be tolerated.
Of course you still can't pass through security checks with one even with a permit. A plain old cane can be carried into secured airport areas, on to plains, trains, mass transit systems, into court buildings, stadiums etc. whereas the sword cane cannot and more than likely will get you arrested trying to enter these places and, as HolyRoller stated a plain vanilla Cain is more defensible in court.

I just started having to use a cane due to some occasional balance issues brought on my some other medical issues. Thankfully I live in TN and as of July of last year I can walk around with a katana at my side if I want (I don't do this), and sword canes are legal here. I'll keep using my rattan cane until I can get the Cold Steel one, and then keep the rattan in the truck for non-permissive environments w/ metal detectors. The Burger canes look awesome, but they're out of my price range. For now.

Blessings!

Edited to add apologies for the resurrection of such an old thread! But it was still very helpful!

Sword canes aren't the best canes and they aren't the best swords. If you really need it as a walking aid, then 99% of the time you are carrying way too much weight for comfort. A couple of ounces makes a noticeable difference in my shoulder if I use one for an appreciable distance. A better option is a fighting cane, like the Slim Stick from Cold Steel; I can walk all day with it and it can land a serious blow. Cold Steel has other canes (minus swords) that are strong enough to crush cinderblocks, though the polypropylene ones are all very heavy and obvious clubs. A good blackthorn cane has often settled an Irish dispute, and they are quite stylish too. Kriscutlery has a kamagong walking stick that is stunning, and I put an ironwood head on mine to make it more comfortable over distance. Just saying that if things are bad enough you need to pull a sword, you would be better served throwing the cane as a distraction and pulling your concealed carry firearm.

KABAR makes an excellent 'defensive cane' for those who want a bladeless cane .Will support your weight ! Made with 1"dia Al tubing. You can find courses to learn their techniques .

I rely on a cane for support and have considered the Cold Steel polypropylene stuff but found both my traditional laminated and heavier derby handle monster width. I have spent a lot more time with a traditional crook handle and there are a lot of pluses for them. A lot of the Cold Steel lenngths fall into my height requirements but as handy as they are, I would miss a crook or derby if used for defense. The lighter laminated crook cane is half the weight of the derby and much quicker. Did I mention I prefer the lighter crook? I do feel more secure with the thick derby when basically leaning/posting on it waiting in lines. Despite the agility and usefulness of the crook, I tend to use the derby when out and about. Kind of a love hate relationship with the heavier cane.

I do have a cheap sword cane with a very nice blade but it is prop weight, uncomfortable and short. If I wanted one for serious utility, I would look at the above Burger options or have a local lad put one together for me. Texas knife sells everything one would need to assemble one. I have not yet seen a production sword cane that does it for me but I am more interested in a cane I need to perambulate.

Cheers

GC

I rely on a cane for support and have considered the Cold Steel polypropylene stuff but found both my traditional laminated and heavier derby handle monster width. I have spent a lot more time with a traditional crook handle and there are a lot of pluses for them. A lot of the Cold Steel lenngths fall into my height requirements but as handy as they are, I would miss a crook or derby if used for defense. The lighter laminated crook cane is half the weight of the derby and much quicker. Did I mention I prefer the lighter crook? I do feel more secure with the thick derby when basically leaning/posting on it waiting in lines. Despite the agility and usefulness of the crook, I tend to use the derby when out and about. Kind of a love hate relationship with the heavier cane.

I use CS wasters in my for-fun longsword fights, if the poly is the same density in the trainers as the canes, I'll warn you away. The plastic is tough, but is very happy to bend, especially in the heat. I am inclined to doubt that the canes would handle being used as actual canes.

I think the trainers are intentionally more whippy, less likely to land a crippling blow in training. I held a polypro bokken at the CS parking lot sale about 10 years ago, and was surprised at how it felt like stiffened pool noodle. It wouldn't have been nice to get hit with it, but it felt in no way equal to a wooden bokken. A few years later I hefted the CS African walking stick based on the knobkerrie, and it was much stiffer, more solid, and about as subtle as a baseball bat--no sale. I eventually did get a dragon cane, and I do use it as a walking stick for fun or as an actual cane when barometric pressure changes make my knee cranky. The shaft doesn't flex or bend in use. It is actually my preferred stick for knocking around in the rain since it's waterproof and is so thick that it takes a huge tip, resulting in good stability. But for some reason they left all sorts of sharp edges on the teeth of the dragon's head, which is the part you actually hold when using it as a walking support. Although it's an easy fix, it certainly gives you a "what the hell were they thinking" moment the first time you actually put some weight on it.

KABAR makes an excellent 'defensive cane' for those who want a bladeless cane .Will support your weight ! Made with 1"dia Al tubing. You can find courses to learn their techniques .

I'll second this! Just got mine....it's from their TDI line. Very nice....pointed end on the crook....not unlike the design feature on Canemasters. It also has knurling for a two handed grip.

The Kabar TDI cane is excellent AND legal in all 50 states. :D Has a good weighted feel to the handle end. The lower end is hollow. Probably to reduce the weight and make it easier to shorten.

The two-handed grip knurling may be problematic for those of us who are vertically challenged...

For me, the lower knurling is at the extreme lower end of the cane after it has been cut to proper length for me. I'm trying to find a machinist who won't charge me an arm and 2 legs to add some additional knurling higher up. I know I could "do something" with a file/rasp, but it would look like I did it myself as well. Would rather have a more professional appearance to the finished product.

Back