Who prefers the sword to the knife?

Most of us who browse through this forum have a sword or two at home but how many of us actually prefer the sword.

It is of course not socially acceptable to walk around in the neighbourhood with a sword in the hand. For one thing, it tends to frighten children and mothers.

Frankly, swords do not have a carry-with-you value, if I can put it this way.

My guess is not many collectors of blades prefer the sword to the knife, even though one is a mere extension of the other. A person from ancient times would probably carry both.

So swords are mainly confined to one's own house, or exhibitions, or museums. Is that why there are fewer sword collectors than they are knife collectors?

I do! I have basically liquidated my knife collection to buy more swords.

I perfer swords to knives as a collection piece. Just the same way as many prefer to collect bowies over a utility knife.

Knives definitly gets used more (unless you're a martial artist). But swords are just way cooler.

In ten years time, it's quite possible swords would rival bowies as collectors darlings.

If someone was attacking me and I could have any edged weapon I'd take a katana, but a delica in the hand is worth a million katanas at home :)

Despite it technically being a violation of the 2nd Ammendment to the US Constitution, I have a concealed carry weapon license. I called the local sheriff and asked if it covered blades and he said yes, so I carry a concealed sort of gladius-like shortsword, only it does not have the super wide gaurd and pommel of the gladius. I've got a sort of clever rig for carrying it and it's short enough that it doesn't hinder my movement. I love swords and greatly prefer them to knives.

Muggers in Cedar Falls IA beware!
:D

To me, asking if I prefer knives or swords is like asking me if I prefer mopeds or footballs.

It DEPENDS!

For MA practice, of course I prefer my swords, but for practical carry, of course I'm going to go with the knives.

I love both of them, I'm an avid knife collector/user, and a very devoted swordsman.

Ah, if only we still lived in a society wherein it was considered part of normal dress to strap on our sword before we left the house, I'd happily do so each day. Of course, I'd still have my .45 tucked away somewhere, I may be a hopeless Romantic, but I'm not NUTS!
:D

>Ah, if only we still lived in a society wherein it was considered part of normal dress to strap on our sword before we left the house, I'd happily do so each day. Of course, I'd still have my .45 tucked away somewhere, I may be a hopeless Romantic, but I'm not NUTS!<

Hey Ken, if that's the way you feel, you'd probably be intrested in the new saber manual I've just started studying. The swordsmen in the illustrations are all wearing pistols(in flap holsters, this is the 19th c. after all), and the text even mentions times when it is convenient to use the revolver instead of the sword. You can scope out some pics at my site, look in the manuals section, Tratado Completo right below Manual Del Baratero.

In general terms, as weapons both the sword and the knife have their place, and they are different enough that neither really intrudes on the other. I train both, and would carry both. I'd probably cary a revolver, too! Remember the old folk/nursery song? "Frog went a court'n he did ride/ sword and pistol by his side"

Ah, if only we still lived in a society wherein it was considered part of normal dress to strap on our sword before we left the house, I'd happily do so each day. Of course, I'd still have my .45 tucked away somewhere, I may be a hopeless Romantic, but I'm not NUTS!

heh, I only really carry this blade(I guess it's really more similar to a Qama) when I am going to bars and whatnot. I don't drink, but it's not legal to carry my Makarov in a bar, but the sheriff couldn't cite any particular rule regarding blades/bars in the concealed carry law, lol. It only specifies that it does not allow firearms to be carried into places like that. In that kind of crowd too I'd be concerned about my Mak being pickpocketed or even knocked out. I know my 16 inch blade will stay where I put it until I need it(hopefully never!), lol.

It's more than a preference. When I pick up a knife I recognize it as a tool. A tool that serves a specific purpose. Swords are different. I honestly think it is something in our blood left over from a by gone era. There were those people who carried swords and those that never gave it another thought. those who were drawn to the sword generally became your knights or Samurai or even pirates (depended on your honor code LOL). But it is in the blood. All of you know what I'm talking about. When you pick up that sword that's just right for you the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. I can appreciate a nice knife when I hold one but there have been swords that made my heart pound just to hold. We are the modern version of those long ago who where drawn to the sword. And if this were a different time we would probably be those striving to be the Knights or Samurai. Same reason some people paint, or build things, or enjoy any hobby really. We just lean towards the steel. I will play with my knives. But when I get a new sword (And I only like to have ONE so that I can make a connection with it) I will just sit and hold it for hours sometimes. Carry around the house just to keep it at my side. Sometimes on a cool night I will go outside and sit with my sword and just watch the moon and stars. As crazy as it may seem it's almost like a best friend relationship. And I believe that if you treat your sword this way it will never fail you. I can't wait to get my new custom job. There are pics in my signature. Her name is Dragon's Fang. She's not done yet. But very soon.

Ryu, although not actually 'owning' a sword myself YET (am a knife collector as well). But I have always been fasinated by swords and bladed weapons suchlike. As you say "its in our blood" - I believe you are right. I can't say firearms excite me as much as swords or other weapons of that nature do, so I can understand exacally what you mean.

Yes I prefer swords vastly over knives. It has nothing to do with carry options. It has nothing to do with versatility. I just like swords more, for what they are. Knives value about the same as hammers to me, except knives require more precision to make, so I can appreciate an excellently made knife on some levels.

Shinryû.

Originally posted by Dangus
Despite it technically being a violation of the 2nd Ammendment to the US Constitution, I have a concealed carry weapon license.

How on earth did you get a concealed carry license in Iowa? When I lived there it was effectively impossible. Glad it's improved a bit, but I am curious...

--Bob Q

I used to be in a medieval recreationist group (the SCA, for anyone who recognizes that) that practiced European-style swordfighting. That, plus a bit of Kendo and Aikido, gives me a certain amount of confidence in handling a sword. ...which may or may not be justified. ;)

If I had to defend myself with a non-ranged weapon my first choice would be a sword. Given the option of using a firearm a sword is not my first choice overall. There are very few conditions under which a sword is going to be the best available option these days. <sigh>

I have a few swords at home, but I keep a shotgun around for actual defense.

--Bob Q

If I had to defend myself with one or the other the sword
wins hands down. For most of life's tasks however the
knife is the thing.
I practice with my sword (or dummy swords)twice a week.
Never practice with knife.
Due to the inability to carry, I never expect to defend myself
with a sword, as most likely would never have it available. A knife probably would be available, but I'd rather run than get into a knife
fight. The old saying "There's no winners in a knife fight, only losers," holds for me.
If we could carry swords legally, I'd probably carry a waikanzi (the correct spelling eludes me), the short katana sword due to the ease of carry or possibly a large Bowie knife.

Hmmm...

Have an approximately 20 inch OAL khukuri named Sun, Moon, and Stars ( actually Surya, Chandra, Tara in Nepali ) by the smiths at the arun it came out of. That's because of the designs hot forged into it's blade on both sides. Drawing it from it's scabbard makes me feel that I know how Arthur Pendragon felt when he held Excalibur.

And a Tarwar I really have to rehandle to fit me, and a katana and...

Back