Who remembers a full contact fighter named "The Iceman"

Danbo

Platinum Member
Not sure of the spelling, but the man's name was Theriout I believe. I believe he was a middleweight or maybe light heavyweight. Champion for many years, and could knock you out with either hand or either foot. Nicknamed the "Iceman" because he stayed eerily calm during the fight and just picked people apart. I remember thinking that he looked sort of like the lead singer from Queen, only a lot bigger and stronger.

I do not remember. I do remember him fighting a guy from Kansas City named Bob "Thunder" Thurman. Big money fight on TV. Picked the guy apart in a few rounds; the ref had to stop it due to eye damage on Thurman. The Iceman was from Canada I think, and had a French name.

I can't picture him but I'm sure I've seen him as I like to watch alot of the older PKA etc fights.

Thank you; you are correct. Damn, that dude was BAD! I sure wish I could find some tapes of his fights. If anybody knows of some, please let me know.

I remember watching him in a televised PKA fight. He was off-balance, backing up and literally lifted his opponent up onto his toes with a left under the ribs. I've seen some of his training tapes on the web. Another favorite from about that era was "Bad" Brad Hefton. This guy was a focused fighter, when he came in the ring he didn't see or react to anything but his trainer...until the bell rang. Course then we had Atlanta's own "Golden Boy" Jerry Trimble. This guy had a wickedly fast and effective spinning back fist.
Stay Safe,
Clyde

I'll probably see him tonight, as he is the kickboxing instructor at the jiu-jitsu/kickboxing school I am a student at. He has been here since he learned how to kickbox. He still actively teaches in the Ottawa area as well as seminars, and now promotes amateur kickboxing in Ontario and Quebec in the Iceman circuit. Always good to hear that people from around the world rembember him, we just call him "the champ"

Cris Anderson

48th Ronin, would you mind checking to see if there are any tapes of some of his old fights? Surely he must have some available. Thanks in advance.

I remember both of the other two fighters mentioned. Bad Brad Hefton was indeed bad. To the bone. His only problem was he tended to stand in there and take punishment. Trimble was fast. He also got hit more than he should have, and his chin wasnt the best. The Iceman was different. I really dont remember seeing him get hit much in any of the fights I saw. He was truly a master counterpuncher.

I remember Jean-yves from the PKA days too. Man reminded me of early Mike Tyson; everything he threw was designed to take the other guy out!
Saw him knock out another fighter with a hook to the short ribs once, poor guy just sat on the canvass and couldn't breathe for a while.

Danbo, My old TKD school used to show old PKA tapes to aid in training so there must be a place to get them. The only place I can think of to start looking would be Panther Productions. They make MA training tapes and might sell fight tapes. If they don't they might know where to point you.

What about Frank Dux? Anyone ever see him fight? In the end credits of the movie Bloodsport it says he held or still holds like 4 or 5 world records. 300 some fights, 54 knock outs in 1 tournament, fastest knock out was under 1 second and the fastest kick with a knock out 70 some MPH! If this is accurate he must have been an animal!

HA...he is pretty tough...but the only thing I can think about when I see him or his name is this old Kicboxing's Greatest knock-out video that he is in. In this fight, and I can't remember who he was fighting...he gets a kick to the head and goes DOWN HAAAARD! They show a close up of him and he's laying there eyes rolled back in his head having what can only be described as a mild seizure...One of those moments that's funny 'cause your glad it's not you!

I'll watch it again and see who it was he fought...From the looks of the clip it seems to be quite awhile ago.

Anyway, That's my Jean Yves Theriault story!

Jared

Yeah, go ahead and watch that tape again. Doubtful if this so called knockout happened, but its possible. Why you would come in here and bring something up like that is beyond me.

Sorry, but WTF??

Did you wake up in a bad mood this morning Danbo? A thread about Jean Yves Theriault is brought up BY YOU asking if anyone remembers him...Well guess what I DID. It just so happens that *I* remember him best for a knock-out clip...

Give me a break...:rolleyes:

Jared

Back