Photos Who remembers the "S"?

Was just cleaning up some drawers, and stumbled across a knife I forgot I had, the Spyderco "S"!

VYLwWto.jpg

I bought this close to 10 years ago now, at a small gun shop in rural Texas. The "S" had been discontinued at that time, and was running for a premium on eBay. It had clearly been sitting in this shop's inventory for some time as they had dropped the price down to something like $50.

Definitely nothing crazy by today's standards of production knives, but this is still a really cool model in Spyderco's history.

Anyone else remember this model or still have one?

I still have one laying around somewhere. Like its predecessor the Salsa, it suffers the curse of compression lock and tip up only carry with the additional curse of a perforated blade that grabs soft material and squirrels it away in dozens of nooks and crannies. It looks cool, but that's about all.

Edit to correct autocorrect

Last edited:
I still have one as well, unfortunately missing a screw. As Jablanowitz says, it’s a lovely bit of engineering with a cool story behind the injection molded blade but a bit impractical as a knife as the blade and handle accumulate gunk.

That said, I love that Spyderco makes things like this.

The S is one of the most comfortable in hand knives Spyderco has ever produced. I sold mine in a flipping spree years ago and I still regret it. Enjoy the new find!

The S is one of the most comfortable in hand knives Spyderco has ever produced. I sold mine in a flipping spree years ago and I still regret it. Enjoy the new find!

Agree, it's very comfortable in the hands despite its small size.

That must be like a squirrel forgetting where he buried an acorn, then finding an oak tree with a whole pile of acorns underneath it.

Anybody want one? Not my auction, just ran across

Link Deleted as per rules.

Last edited:
Got one as a gift, in safe somewhere, looked cool, I didn't like it.
Have a salsa too, can't tell you how many times I put my hand in my pocket and only pure luck kept me from cutting the hell out of myself.
Cool little knife, but crappy lock.

I wonder how they even came up with the idea. Is it meant to show their manufacturing capabilities, more than making the most practical blade? Regardless, that's a cool piece of Spyderco history you got.

Do you mind if I post the picture in the strangest looking Spydercos thread or maybe you could post it yourself?

It was an homage to the Q. I don’t know if the Q was originally intended for advertisement/promotion but that’s why the are many versions.

Back