Who uses a straight razor?

Alright, who here still shaves the old fashion way? :) If you use a straight razor, what brands and styles of razors do you use? Have a favorite shaving soap, cream, aftershave?

I have two Dovo's (5/8 and 6/8) that I purchased new. I also have a bunch of older razors that I have restored to shaving condition. Here is a page of some of them before I restored them:

http://home.comcast.net/~wadef/razor/razor.html

That Henckels is a beauty!
I've been wanting to get a straight razor for shaving. What modern brands would you suggest? Does Henckels still make them?

The people I have talked to that have learned how to properly use a straight razor say it gives a better shave (closer) than any other method. Electrics being the worst.

There aren't as many companies making razors as there used to be, but some good ones are DOVO and Thiers-Issard (TI for short). From my experience shavers like the TI's over the DOVO's for the quality of edge they can put on them. The keener you can get the razor the more comfortable your shave will be.

Straight razor shaving does take a lot longer and it's more work for sure. So if you think about shaving this way be prepared to make some time for each shave. However I find it's fun to do.

Check out these sites for Razors:

http://www.classicshaving.com

http://www.shavingsupplies.com/

check out:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/straightrazorplace/

I contacted one of the guys on that site and he sent me a really nice old (the style i like) str8 in ready to shave condition.

Wanted to see what it should be like before i try to strop/hone my own.

I have since bought many str8's off ebay for very cheap and honed/repaired them

expect to buy at least a strop, strop paste, a hone, and most importantly a styptic pencil.

Geoff

Geoff said:
check out:
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/straightrazorplace/
I contacted one of the guys on that site and he sent me a really nice old (the style i like) str8 in ready to shave condition.
Wanted to see what it should be like before i try to strop/hone my own.
I have since bought many str8's off ebay for very cheap and honed/repaired them
Geoff

I'm also a member of the Yahoo groups. I don't like the message interface though. I find it's hard to follow a discussion there, unlike the forums here. It's still a great resource and I like reading people's reviews of different products and what not in the database section.

I was thinking about getting a razor from one of the guys there to see what kind of edge they manage to put on them. I've restored a few razors and I have been getting good shave with them.

Win any high quality razors off eBay? I'd like to get my hands on a Double Duck Wonderedge sometime. :)

I use an electric razor, but...

When I am not at home, I use water, bar soap, and a AFCK :D .
I keep the edge "shaving sharp" and the edge angle is almost the same as the primary saber grind, so it works. Although it hurts.

I have been shaving electric for most of my life. But I'm switching to a straight razor, that is as soon as I've got the necessary. I found straightrazorplace and I must say it's been great to help me started. On top of all the files available, I got all the advice and help I needed. A bit daunting at first, but one of the members is sending me a proper razor to try out so with a bit of luck I'll have a go soon: if I am never to post again, it'll be because I have just cut my throat :D
I agree with Wade though, the format makes it difficult to read at straightrazorplace.Worth the effort though. And that's where I found this forum, so it must be worth it ;)

namaste said:
I agree with Wade though, the format makes it difficult to read at straightrazorplace.Worth the effort though. And that's where I found this forum, so it must be worth it ;)

Hopefully some of the people there will come over here for some razor discussion. :) I don't care for the interface on the yahoo groups at all. I find it very annoying to try and monitor a discussion.

I just started shaving a little over a month ago. No serious cuts yet, except my thumb. :) Put the razor down before attempting a task that doesn't involve shaving yourself with it. :)

Also watch your ear lobes. I nicked them a couple times when shaving my side burns. After a few times it gets more natural.

So, those of you that do use a straight razor to shave. How did you learn to shave with it? Did you just jump in? Did someone teach you?

I would like to learn, but I'm not sure where to start.

I asked my grandfather once, he looked at me like I was nuts . . . :confused:

Lunumbra

I have a Japanes one that my wife bought me once for Christmas. I don't know what metal it is, stainless I think.

The first time I used it I was scared stiff LOL. The trick is not to turn it like you would a safety. I managed to cut a nice flap on my right cheek doing that :grumpy:

As the blade is not as sharp as a dispo (due to its thickness) you really need to lather your face or if you do it 'sans soap' after a shower or bath when the wiskers are the softest. If you can shave hair off your forearm without cutting yourself or whincing then you can shave your face with a straight edge.

Its like lots of things, panic and uncertainty cause the most screw ups.

Initially try just your cheeks in a 'with the grain' motion, then go onto upper lips. Within half a dozen attempts you will be a lot more comfortable. As for it being the closest shave I beg to differ (Gillette Mach3 has to be the best) but because you are scraping the dead skin off your face neck you get a nice healthy glowing look to it. ( I said 'glow' not blood lol )

If you dont pay too much for your first 'real' razor, give it a go, its quite fun but the missus will be wondering what you are doing in the bathroom so long the first few times :D

i dont use a straight razor but i do use and prefer the old brush, soap and mug to canned foam, for sure, the brush seems to work the lather in and really softens the beard, am gonna try a straight razor when i get the nerve, i have several old ones, and some old schwabbie sones (sp?) and a bunch of old shaving stuff, my dad ran a barbershop for a while, so i just gotta work up the nerve lol.

greg

lunumbra said:
So, those of you that do use a straight razor to shave. How did you learn to shave with it? Did you just jump in? Did someone teach you? Lunumbra

The Internet tought me how. :) I just did a lot of reading and research online. My first attempt wasn't that successful, so I went back online to see what I was doing wrong. Turns out one site I was reading gave very poor instructions.

As far as getting a close shave, this comes with practice, and I'm still working at it myself. It is important to stretch the skin to get a closer shave. You also have to go with the grain, than against. Finding the right attack angles is the trick. Some of the shaving sites have old barber manuals scanned into PDF files. These illustrate shaving techniques.

Also the sharper you can get your razor, the better and closer it will shave. Some brands of razors don't get as keen as others.

I like to see the razor cutting my arm hair well above skin level.

Been doing it for awhile,really don't think of it as a big deal,rather simple in fact! Lather well,pull razor straight down.NOT AT AN ANGLE DO NOT SLICE!!!!!See simple!! Takes awhile to get a great shave,PRACTICE is all that is needed! Have fun.
Jim :D

jim_l_clifton said:
Been doing it for awhile,really don't think of it as a big deal,rather simple in fact! Lather well,pull razor straight down.NOT AT AN ANGLE DO NOT SLICE!!!!!See simple!! Takes awhile to get a great shave,PRACTICE is all that is needed! Have fun.
Jim :D

What about stropping the razor, honing the razor? :)

I carry one in my sock once in awhile.........

Trac II for me! ;)

Spraynpray123 said:
Are you guys serious about the Mach 3??

On my 18th birthday I got sent one for free from the factory. Although all it ever did for me was cut up my face pretty bad. It's the only razor that has ever cut me, and it cut me up everytime I tried to use it. After like 5 days I just got ticked off and chucked it in the the ol' trash can. :grumpy:

Do you have to use some sort of super lather to use it or something?

When I used my Mach 3 I would wet my face and use Edge Gel in a can. It cut me LESS than any other razor. It almost seemed impossible to cut myself with. Maybe you were doing something wrong? Were you shaving with the grain? Shaving dry?

The Mach 3 is pretty comfortable for me and I use soap only! (not even a cream) Only thing is, I think I dulled it by touching the edge

Back