Who would like to see new thinner Duty Model?

"Kitchen Duty"

I know that a lot of folk use various Bussekin in the kitchen. My thickest kitchen knives are probably half the thickness of the thinnest Bussekin, with maybe an Elmax blade being the exception. On top of that, many Bussekin have, IMHO, thick edge geometry that is sub-optimal for kitchen work. YMMV.

Geometry cuts. Geometry cuts. Geometry cuts. What I tell you three times is true.

I know that a lot of folk use various Bussekin in the kitchen. My thickest kitchen knives are probably half the thickness of the thinnest Bussekin, with maybe an Elmax blade being the exception. On top of that, many Bussekin have, IMHO, thick edge geometry that is sub-optimal for kitchen work. YMMV.

Geometry cuts. Geometry cuts. Geometry cuts. What I tell you three times is true.

Lighten up, will ya?? Just kidding, of course. But seriously, in all likelihood the urge to use Busse in the kitchen is probably centered around the fact that...

A) These are ridiculously cool knives and why wouldn't you want to use them
B) Many of these knives just will never see hard use because using them tends to lower value
C) Any easy way to 'justify' owning expensive knives that will never or seldom otherwise be used

That said, they are certainly not the right tool for the kitchen jobs. Even the Elmax knives which have come recently are quite obtuse in the edge (easily fixed by someone with the knowledge and skill), despite being much thinner behind the edge than most Busse. The other problem with using these in the kitchen is they are not designed to be used on a cutting board and the guard and/or choil gets in the way ot the edge making contact all the way to the heel.

The edge thickness and geometry is not of strong importance for cutting meats/tomatoes, etc.... it's far more important that they are 'toothy' sharp for cutting aggression and edge retention. That said, any foods which offer significant resistance from wedging/friction will be quite obvious to the user that it's not the right geometry. I've seen many Busse's that were the same thickness behind the edge as many kitchen knives are at the spine, that's some serious meat on the edge.

I like the boney active duty.

Could another run be in our future? 🤷‍♂️
The BAD is an exceptional knife:
- 60-62 Rockwell C hardness, so an extra 2 points harder than usual
- .125" thick INFI blade with a distal taper, so it's extra thin & pointy
- "These are, by far, the thinnest ground EDC blades to ever leave the Busse Shop!!! The edge of the primary bevel is ground down to .012" - .015" prior to sharpening and the distal taper extends nearly the full length of the cutting edge!!!" - Jerry 5/3/2008

It would be a great knife to bring back! :cool:

Back