Who you gonna call...?

Howdy. I just had a Spartan Harsey delivered and it has a major problem - Holy lockstick Batman. In fact, it’s actually full on lock stuck. I carefully disassembled it, used high end lube on it and reassembled it. I then left it half opened for three days.

No improvement.

So here are my questions -in general, not brand specific:
- If I buy a knife with a problem like this do I return it to the store (if I bought it from a store)
- Do I send it to the manufacturer?
- If I bought it from a large online seller do I call them or skip that and go to the manufacturer.
-If one buys a knife from a small online outfit should you call them or just go to the manufacturer?

BTW - this is my third Harsey and the first two were impeccable.

Last edited:
If you purchased from a local retailer, return it for an exchange. If an online retailer contact them before the factory/distributor.
If you purchased from a private individual, you can try contacting him/her, but it may not do any good. You would probably be better off contacting the manufacturer, if that is the case ... presuming the warranty transferred to you when you bought the knife.
Sadly, some warranties are only good to the original owner, and not just blades.
I know the compound bow I bought used is out of warranty, because I am not the original owner.

What is the "high end lube" you use?

If you purchased from a local retailer, return it for an exchange. If an online retailer contact them before the factory/distributor.
If you purchased from a private individual, you can try contacting him/her, but it may not do any good. You would probably be better off contacting the manufacturer, if that is the case ... presuming the warranty transferred to you when you bought the knife.
Sadly, some warranties are only good to the original owner, and not just blades.
I know the compound bow I bought used is out of warranty, because I am not the original owner.

What is the "high end lube" you use?
Tri Flow but since it’s a lock stick problem I don’t think that’s the proper application. Does great on everything else I’ve encountered.

BTW / I bought the knife from KnifeCenter. I hope this disclosure didn’t break a rule or violate a forum policy. If it did I apologize to all of you.

Your fist mistake is that you bought it from Knife-ripoff-Center.
Your second mistake is you took it apart.

You were more than likely sent a used or returned knife in the first place. I've seen this play out time and time again with Knife Center, enough to know its not just a coincidence. Its played out on every forum including this one.

Last edited:
Tri Flow but since it’s a lock stick problem I don’t think that’s the proper application. Does great on everything else I’ve encountered.

If you dont want to return it, put sharpie on the area of the lock bar that makes contact with the blade. That almost always helps. If you go this route you're less likely to be able to return it however. Pencil graphite works too but wipes off easily.

I like a little stick think it’s encouraging of a tight fit and secure no slippy lock. Just my opinion though and I’d bet it’ll break in

I too like a sticky lock-up that prevents lock-slip. But there is a difference between a quality lock interface and just plane ol lock stick that may not ever go away.

You may get lucky with a titanium lock interface due to many variables like the angle of the lock and pivot to blade tolerances, but overall using a soft metal like titanium that is well known for plasticizing and galling for this area of a frame lock knife is old and outdated. We saw this in frame-lock knives in there infancy and many manufactures "evolved" to a metal insert not only to combat galling of the titanium leading to lock-stick but it also enabled the replacement of the lock interface due to wear greatly aiding warranty issues.
This idea of "dont fix whats not broken" reminds me of the old man shaking his fist and yelling "Get off my lawn!"

Get with the program and put a steel lock-bar insert into your knife! Rant over...:p

Your fist mistake is that you bought it from Knife-ripoff-Center.
Your second mistake is you took it apart.

You were more than likely sent a used or returned knife in the first place. I've seen this play out time and time again with Knife Center, enough to know its not just a coincidence. Its played out on every forum including this one.

I too like a sticky lock-up that prevents lock-slip. But there is a difference between a quality lock interface and just plane ol lock stick that may not ever go away.

You may get lucky with a titanium lock interface due to many variables like the angle of the lock and pivot to blade tolerances, but overall using a soft metal like titanium that is well known for plasticizing and galling for this area of a frame lock knife is old and outdated. We saw this in frame-lock knives in there infancy and many manufactures "evolved" to a metal insert not only to combat galling of the titanium leading to lock-stick but it also enabled the replacement of the lock interface due to wear greatly aiding warranty issues.
This idea of "dont fix whats not broken" reminds me of the old man shaking his fist and yelling "Get off my lawn!"

Get with the program and put a steel lock-bar insert into your knife! Rant over...:p

What about hardened titanium lock faces? :eek:

What about steel inserts that lead to self defeating locks?

What knife designs do you have to improve upon frame locks that have been in common use since Chris Reeve created the masterpiece that is known as the Sebenza?

What about libel interests you with @KnifeCenter , a paying dealer here btw, with a good history, and none of what you said actually happening?

What about your posts made any sense?
Between your rants I couldn't tell any factual information or what you were trying to communicate.

Last edited:
I'm not ruling out any personal experiences others have had because who knows??? Stuff happens.
Me myself, I've had nothing but positive experiences, good prices, and fast shipping from Knife Center.
Without any further evidence I'm still going to use Knife Center as one of my go-to knife shops.

In relation to the thread I feel like a Spartan Harsey is an expensive enough knife and comes from a small enough company that it would be best to send it to them
and have them take a look. Small, hard working companies like that typically appreciate the opportunity to trouble shoot problems with blades and customers to learn and get better.
Plus, when you send it to the maker they sometimes send you some really sweet goodies like shirts and stickers as a "peace offering" for sending you a funky knife :p

OP, I'd call knifecenter Monday and I'm sure they will take care of you.
I'm sure they will too, I'm just a dirtbag that relishes the opportunity for a new sticker :p
I don't know why but a sticker with a knife makes it so much sweeter for me somehow :D
Knife Center=Good to go :cool:

I'm sure they will too, I'm just a dirtbag that relishes the opportunity for a new sticker :p
I don't know why but a sticker with a knife makes it so much sweeter for me somehow :D
Knife Center=Good to go :cool:

I've also gotten some sweet swag from companies trying to make up for the inconvenience of sending a new blade back.

What about hardened titanium lock faces? :eek:

What about steel inserts that lead to self defeating locks?

What knife designs do you have to improve upon frame locks that have been in common use since Chris Reeves created the masterpiece that is known as the Sebenza?

What about libel interests you with @KnifeCenter , a paying dealer here btw, with a good history, and none of what you said actually happening?

What about your posts made any sense?
Between your rants I couldn't tell any factual information or what you were trying to communicate.

"What about hardened titanium lock faces?"
What about them? There are plenty of people who have experienced lock-stick with hardened lock faces.

"What about steel inserts that lead to self defeating locks?"
My guess is that you're referring to steel inserts that lead to lock slip due to the fact that the interface was cut to steep? A steel insert isn't going to fix a poorly designed lock face.

"What knife designs do you have to improve upon frame locks that have been in common use since Chris Reeves created the masterpiece that is known as the Sebenza?"

I wasn't offering any!
The Wright brothers are credited with the first successful motor-operated airplane, whats your point? You're insinuating that by stating my opinion on something I first must reinvent the wheel? :rolleyes:

"What about libel interests you with @KnifeCenter , a paying dealer here btw, with a good history, and none of what you said actually happening?"
Prove it! And who knows, maybe by sticking up for them they'll send you a free hat! ;)

"What about your posts made any sense? Between your rants I couldn't tell any factual information or what you were trying to communicate".
I did say it was a rant. Take it for what its worth. Im sorry you couldn't make sense of it. Sounds to me like you just want to argue. Wheel of Fortune is on...Get off my lawn!:rolleyes:

Howdy. I just had a Spartan Harsey delivered and it has a major problem - Holy lockstick Batman. In fact, it’s actually full on lock stuck. I carefully disassembled it, used high end lube on it and reassembled it. I then left it half opened for three days.

No improvement.

So here are my questions -in general, not brand specific:
- If I buy a knife with a problem like this do I return it to the store (if I bought it from a store)
- Do I send it to the manufacturer?
- If I bought it from a large online seller do I call them or skip that and go to the manufacturer.
-If one buys a knife from a small online outfit should you call them or just go to the manufacturer?

BTW - this is my third Harsey and the first two were impeccable.

Spartan seems to be good people. Give them a call and explain the issue. I'd expect them to take care of you.

If you took a knife apart that’s brand new it’s yours now. Send it in for warranty. If its fresh out the box opened once or twice and that reveals a problem, send it to the dealer and make them aware of the problem. Request a new one.

Side note, clean your lock faces with rubbing alcohol.

Last edited:
"What about hardened titanium lock faces?"
What about them? There are plenty of people who have experienced lock-stick with hardened lock faces.

"What about steel inserts that lead to self defeating locks?"
My guess is that you're referring to steel inserts that lead to lock slip due to the fact that the interface was cut to steep? A steel insert isn't going to fix a poorly designed lock face.

"What knife designs do you have to improve upon frame locks that have been in common use since Chris Reeves created the masterpiece that is known as the Sebenza?"

I wasn't offering any!
The Wright brothers are credited with the first successful motor-operated airplane, whats your point? You're insinuating that by stating my opinion on something I first must reinvent the wheel? :rolleyes:

"What about libel interests you with @KnifeCenter , a paying dealer here btw, with a good history, and none of what you said actually happening?"
Prove it! And who knows, maybe by sticking up for them they'll send you a free hat! ;)

"What about your posts made any sense? Between your rants I couldn't tell any factual information or what you were trying to communicate".
I did say it was a rant. Take it for what its worth. Im sorry you couldn't make sense of it. Sounds to me like you just want to argue. Wheel of Fortune is on...Get off my lawn!:rolleyes:

Pretty much as I thought. Fyi, we dont do rants here. Other parts of the forum maybe, but not here. Defemation of a paying dealer with no evidence and saying then to prove otherwise is lame and callous. Got one to add to the ignore list!

Back