Whole lot of Questions bout Hunting Axe

Heading out to Colorado first week of Nov for a elk hunt. I would like a suggestion for a axe to help out in the quartering process. I am on a budget but do not want junk. Also, would want a traditional look w/ wood handle. Last, what degree angle is best to maintain these axes? Thanks for any and all wisdom!!

I think you'll want to be careful about hitting bone, with your axe. I broke a nice chunk out of the edge of my Ka Bar that way.

if i was taking one on a hunting trip it's the MINI Gerber , I keep mine in my backpack, great for cleaning game in the field.and it's so light

Cold Steel Rifleman Hawk. Heaviest hawk they sell (32 ounces). I have banged it off of a steel fence while trowing it from 30' away, and hit concrete with it several times (little too much force while making kindling). You can pick one up for 25-30 bucks, and they are traditional "peace pipe" looking head with hardwood handle. I have been using and throwing mine for years (pick up a replacement handle too if you use it for throwing a lot, and remember to take out the set screw if you throw it (that is how I broke the handle, got lazy and left the set screw in while throwing from 30' oops).

Also, Cold steel has a video of one of their lighter hawks splitting a cow thigh bone in half with one strike, the rifleman will do that with no problem. I sharpen mine at 30 degrees now on a Lansky sharpening system (used to do 20-25 but found them too delicate).

I agree that Cold Steel sells some good tomahawks at relatively cheap prices. I've used some of mine for 15 years or more, and I like all their models I've tried out. Another option to consider is the Estwing hatchet, probably their small model. Those they make with stacked leather handles look nice, but those with the molded blue nylon handles are a lot more durable I think. I've used Estwings for probably 30+ years, and always with excellent results. I doubt you could go wrong with one of them. They don't cost much more than a Cold Steel tomahawk, either. Good luck on your hunt!

Back