Who's gotten their 5.1 Starter?

Rxavage, was yours 20CV steel or 3V? What color scales did you get?

So surely somebody else here on BF must have a tracking number for their 5.1, or was the whole thing about getting them out before Xmas just us getting smoke blown up our a$$es... I love their product, but the broken promises are starting to add up...

So surely somebody else here on BF must have a tracking number for their 5.1, or was the whole thing about getting them out before Xmas just us getting smoke blown up our a$$es... I love their product, but the broken promises are starting to add up...
Got to give them a little slack. Ellie mentioned in a earlier thread that one of their pieces of equipment went down. Part shipped next day got lost, Guy rigged the machine to work after a few days, then he got sick but still stuck with it but at a slower pace. Even the best layout plans can get screwed up. S#!t Happens! I've been patiently waiting for my shipping notification and now it ain't happening for Christmas so it is what it is. When it does come it'll be like Christmas all over!

i didnt see anyone make any promises, thats a pretty immature attitude. i waited 10 months for my 5.1, im sure you can wait a few weeks.
one thing i noticed is that i didnt order mine with a sheath, maybe there is something to that and they dont want to throw anyone under the bus or shift blame. either way crying isnt going to make them ship any quicker.

Stuff does happen and it can cause delays.

Let's all try to be patient and try to get along over here. Negativity and rude comments show immaturity and I'd like to think we're better than that.

One thing they're doing to address this complaint is their Monday sales. Can you imagine ordering on Monday and getting it that very same week? I think this is going to change everything. Seriously.

The wait and overly optimistic estimates are the biggest or rather only complaints against the company that I ever hear. Soon to be a thing of the past.
What will be left to complain about??? :rolleyes:

I'm not certain that this has any bearing on the matter, but we have been hit with some severe winter storms for the last 4-5 days. Huge swathes of N. Idaho are without power and have been for several days. A lot of routes are not passible, and some that are, aren’t really safe. Delivery services have been suspended in some areas; and I would imagine that also includes pick-ups as well. I’m 6’3” and the snow is above my waist.

Meanwhile the rest of the country is enjoying temp in the 60s and 70s.

I don’t know Guy or Ellie, I only had a chance to meet them and spend a few hours with them. I will say this, Neither one of them seemed like the kind of person to flake out or break their promise. They both had an air of honesty and decency about them. A pride in their product. It is clearly a labor of love for them.

I have lived all over this country, I am a retired LEO. I’ve dealt with lowlifes, and seen the worst humanity has to offer. I feel pretty confident in my abilities to get a read of a person. I am confident of my estimation of Guy and Ellie.

Do with it what you want, you don’t know me, but it is possible that there have been circumstances beyond their control, despite their best efforts. I for one am willing to cut them some slack; and in the spirit of the holidays, it might be nice if others were too.

Junkyard

edited to add:

USMC Capt,
What’s that old USMC Adage?

“We have done so much with so little for so long that we can do anything with nothing.”

Forgive me if I got it wrong, but I’m certain a Jarhead gets what I’m referencing. I’d say that in some ways that can be applied to Survive! Especially when you consider that there are only three people there trying to fill orders, fix machines, answer emails, answer phone calls, and build some fine ass knives . I don’t know you, but I would think that a Marine can appreciate the situation they are in. Guy struck me as a Hard Charger that doesn’t half ass anything.
Anyway, enough of my blabbering. Thank you for your service Devil-Dog! and Merry Christmas!

Junkyard out.

Last edited:
I used to work in the gun industry. I've learned to be very patient. So excited for my 5.1 though. I imagine I will hear something about my order in January.

Disappointed that, of all the knives I've had ordered for months, none made it in by Christmas. This is not directed at S!K. I have knives on order from places that are in the 50's to 70's belt, and they haven't shipped either. Not my first time being disappointed, and I'm sure not my last. I'll live.

No Christmas 5.1, :thumbdn:, the problem is they said it would be shipped by xmas and then didn't. If they didn't say they would be here xmas then I wouldn't be sad and just have kept waiting patiently.

Ps I have a secret , I'll tell u later. See that doesn't work either.

I understand what you're saying, bubbaskyjacker. Expecting it, then not getting it, IS kinda worse than, say, Busse's "two weeks."

from my understanding they said they were going to try and get them shipped by xmas. no where did i read a promise or garauntee. i was lucky to recieve mine, but to put some arbitrary limitation as by xmas is an absurd notion after waiting as long as we have. we ordered these knives with no idea when theyd arrive because we wanted one that bad, and the wait is the price we pay for the garauntee that we will eventually possess one.

One thing they're doing to address this complaint is their Monday sales. Can you imagine ordering on Monday and getting it that very same week? I think this is going to change everything. Seriously.

The wait and overly optimistic estimates are the biggest or rather only complaints against the company that I ever hear. Soon to be a thing of the past.
What will be left to complain about??? :rolleyes:

This monday shit is gonna wreak havoc on my wallet

the wait is the price we pay for the garauntee that we will eventually possess one.
This is how I looked at it, too. I like your outlook. The way things sell out and the regret people expressed "I wish I ordered one of those...". I feel pretty good knowing there is a string of GSO's already with my name on them.

This monday shit is gonna wreak havoc on my wallet
Ha! Ain't that the truth. Wait, there's Shiney new GSO's ready each week? Uh oh!

I think I might start a thread specifically made for bitching and complaining.
Apparently companies aren't allowed to have machines go down on them and they aren't allowed to get sick or take vacations.

I think I might start a thread specifically made for bitching and complaining.
Apparently companies aren't allowed to have machines go down on them and they aren't allowed to get sick or take vacations.

haha I was thinking the exact same thing standard....for helpful context, I work for a medium sized defense contractor and every day deal with outside vendors. The most applicable one would be local machine shops that turn designs into reality. Designs start out as clean pretty CAD models, reality (especially at scale) is a whole other deal... I am not sure our local machine shop has ever hit one of their self imposed deadlines. Why don't we go somewhere else? because at the end of the day they do great work at the best price...If we need something by a SPECIFIC date and we aren't willing to roll the dice, we PAY EXTRA from another shop. Usually the extra isn't worth the rush...

I don't even think the above is really a great comparison, because in that scenario the design is ours. With survive, GUY has already come up with the design, is willing to make them, and willing to sell them to us for a very consumer friendly price all while sticking to insane quality goals. I feel like more than any other knife company in the "mid-tech" world that is new they do a great job of communicating directly with consumers, and given all of the above, lets cut them some damn slack. I have a 5.1 on order to and like a kid on christmas I can not wait to play with it, but i will wait and ill be fine and it will show up and it will be glorious... lets all breathe please...this is a 3 person show helming a newish company, let them grow without being beaten down.

I once waited 6 months for a pre-paid for firesteel because the maker kept forgetting, I'm fairly sure he was a one man shop and I wasn't all that stressed, the fire steel came in and was gorgeous...

Don't get me started on defense contractors. Compared with that, S!K is well ahead of schedule. Can anyone say, "JSF?"

Like I've said before, I've got a bunch of knives on order, not just from S!K. I'm just disappointed that none of them came in, and that isn't directed specifically at S!K.

We had every intention of having those GSO-5.1 orders done before Christmas. The plan was to work some serious overtime in order to get them all done. Then the sand blaster went down for a few days while Guy was slow moving due to being sick. Then we realized that the proportion of 3V blades needing fixed was not in our favor, there were too many for us to put reworks off to the side until there was more time. Then the buffer wheel started acting out. Welcome to the world of manufacturing. We do have a new type of wheel coming in tomorrow to see if we can get more consistent results. In the meantime, we took a few days off for a relaxed Christmas, as well as a half day today. Tomorrow we will be back at it and I am planning to be printing a lot of shipping labels next week.

As mentioned, this is exactly why we are moving to Monday releases of already sharpened blades.

Back