Who's never had a problem with an Emerson folder?

We get to hear a lot complaints about the reliability and QC of Emerson folders on the forums.

I own a Mini-Commander and a Mini-CQC-7 tanto. I got both of them in a "like new" condition. I also had a Blackbird, but ended up selling it because it's very similar to my Mini-Com - and I like the latter folder's design (even) better.

All these knives came with reliable liner locks, they're sturdy with very little blade play and except for a few machining marks on the liners (which aren't the first things to catch one's eye anyway), they've been very good in the fit & finish department.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm definitely not a fanatical EKI fan, I just wonder why my Emersons are just as well-made as, say, my Microtech folders while almost everybody else seems to have encountered problems with them.

Am I the only one who owns more than one Emerson folder and never had a problem with them?

I did. I ordered a CQC-7A with a satin finish and double V grind. It came with a hard chrome finish and a single secondary bevel. I sent it back. Other than that, I really liked the ergonomics of the G-10 handle. Since then, I've had the Specwar, Commander, and Mark I come through my hands via trades.They all seemed to be in really good shape.

I have owned 3 Ravens, 2 CQC-7s and a Commander. I was only happy with 1 of the 6. The one CQC-7 had a sturdy problem free lock up. I took a Raven apart and when you look at what its comprised of materials and execution wise, I just couldn't believe the price of the thing.

I like the designs, I just have not had much luck with their liners. I really want to check out the HD-7. Especially now that the production version is out ($250 or so) compared to the custom shop version ($450 or so)

I've had one Emerson and one Benchmade CQC7s. Both had good fit, finish and locks.

I have a Raven, absolutely reliable, one of my all-time favorite knives. I also have a Commander, very solid, only complaint: the lock was so strong when I got it, it took towo hands to close. It's OK now :)

I bought a Commander and after a short time, and almost no use (that includes wave opening) it developed a lock problem. At first I just took the thing apart, cleaned it well, and the problem was gone. For a while anyway, it just got worse and worse until eventually the blade would fold as if it had no lock at all.

I sent it back to the shop and it came back to me within a couple of weeks. When I looked it over it had new liners, a new blade, and all new hardware. So far it has been without problems, but then again I haven't really used it at all. Not to say I don't like it, just I have other knives I like better.

Now I have mixed feelings about buying another Emerson. I love the designs, and the ergos, but the first knife failing on me without much use has left a bad taste in my mouth.

I have never had a problem with an Emerson folder. I bought a Hard Wear Traveler recently and love it.

have a I&I tanto, green G10 black blade SOCFK, P-Tac, ECA P-Tac, surefire CQC8,specwar CQC8, CQC7, commander, and a P-SARK, and have had 2 other commanders, a spec war, and several other CQC7's, on the SOCFK the liner went a little too far to the side for me, sent it back and EKI fixed it, no lockup problems, just looked a little far to me, so i would say that they do pretty good. no problems at all on the others. people say the only good emerson is a BM CQC7, i have had 2 and one of those did have lock probs, so go figure.

imho EKI is as good as anyone in QC, better than most in design, and the warranty dept is great to deal with, they are good knives .

I have only had 1 Commander (1999) and 1 Persian (2004), and both were good. The Persian seems to have a much bigger liner than the Commander which suggests that it ought to be stronger, but both lock up well and never gave me any problems.

I have owned a bunch of them from the Comm. large and small to several CQC7's and most commercial models. Didn't care for any of them really except the CQC's. Don't ask me why but I had liner lock problems with them, sharpness issues too. Now Ij ust bought two CQC7b's that are outstanding. I have them sharp as a razor now and I like them as much as I like my MOD Tempests. That is saying something too as I think the 2 Tempests I have are just about perfect for me for edc. I did send both back though, one for a new pe blade and one due to liner lock issues. BOth are perfect now as are my two CQC's. So it can and does happen to all manufacturer's I just can't see me purchasing any more edc's as these work very very well for me, and I ain't kiddin either. keepem sharp

i have a year old mini cqc7-b and i love it.
no problems whatsoever.

in fact i'm currently reasoning purchasing a mini-commander,
but the cheapest i've found it (~$112 at ng) is sold out..
anyone know of a good online emerson dealer?

Back