Who's that knocking at my door?

RARanney

Moderator / Gold Member
I too just got a little blue box, though not my first. Where do I begin. A single ring of the doorbell; I rush to the door. No one there, but in the distance a brown truck driving away. Looking down I notice a small brown carton. From: BKC, Oregon City. Hark, Le Trente-et-un est arrivee! But enough about you.
Just got my Benchmade 31 from the factory. I can't give a flip/rep as this one won't be, until I know how the others will be marked. This one has only a tiny 31 beneath the butterfly, and 440C Benchmade U.S.A. on the flip side (intended pun). It's slightly shorter, and has narrower handles than my 30 and 68, but is almost identical in length to my 3" weehawk custom, though narrower and of course much lighter. There's a refined look about it, sort of like a fine watch or camera, yet sturdily built. Unlike my other 3"ers the handle ends are slightly radiused/rounded. This not only looks great, but will be more comfortable in the palm of your hand. And of course there is the clip neatly seated in a milled "archway". The grind is not unlike the 30, except the unsharpened swedge travels the length of the blade. There is also a blade notch perhaps influenced by...
Want a light, "hardly notice it in your pocket" knife for EDC? This is it. Mr. des Assis has outdone himself on this one. Could it be improved upon? Nope, it's just right. If, however, we get to see SS again, my vote would be for this model first. Still, the Titanium31 would be my first choice for all around EDC (can't in WA). I probably sound like a factory rep, but if you haven't yet ordered one, what are you waiting for? Yeee haaaw giddyup!

Whats EDT, and what does (can't in Wa.) mean? I am always confused.

I think "EDC" is what you are talking about.
"Every Day Carry" is what it means from what I have heard.
and I am assuming Bali-Songs are illeagel in WA...

Shrubba

They live!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes!!! Hope this means the rest of the batch will be leaving the factory soon to the distributors, to my retailer, to me.... Then again, I'm already in the doghouse for the number of boxes. Thank God today is Feburary... :D

Congrats man!

I was looking fo a nice smaller bali around the time this was announced. It'll probably be my next knife.

Cyco

Thanks for the report -- really appreciate it. I'm looking forward to seeing them at the SHOT Show. I'll report in on any other items of interest.

That's right UPS. They claim they did. Supposed to be dropping off my 42as back from BM but instead I hear the noise and see it at the end of my road driving away. I hate those bastards. This is the like tenth time I've had to chase them down to get a knife. This time I didn't catch up in time and they managed to lock themselves in there little hub before I could talk to them. So I'm not seeing my belov'ed Ami until Monday. God I hate those Bastids.

Rant off.

Yes, Every Day Carry, and while I haven't looked at the specific wording in a while, I wouldn't carry a bali or large auto on my person in Washington State. What they'd think of the smaller 31 would probably depend on the officer.

braundc, a crane on the beach perhaps?

Just for the record, I get dynamite UPS service. He actually once carried a set of four rims with mounted tires around to the back of the house just to keep them out of sight since I wasn't home. UPS pushes their drivers to keep moving, so they do move quickly at times.

Do you have one of Clay's concealex sheaths for the 4x series? I'd really like to know how well the 31 fits in them.

No, sorry, I don't have any of Clays most excellent sheaths. Primarily because we can't carry balis here.

oh well guess I'll have to wait until someone else gets one or I get one myself.

Back