Why a saw?

I'm a rather large proponent of the SAK saw. I have a smaller than average wood stove in my basement, and am constantly sawing kindling down to size during the winter time.

Once the warmer weather comes around, the saw gets daily duty around the house, helping to landscape my yard. It helps to prune a dozen Rose of Sharon bushes, and a plethora of other trees and shrubs. Nice clean cuts in green wood that could not be achieved by snap cutting with a plain edged blade.

Around the house, the SAK saw is a great help when installing electrical junction boxes, cutting wood trim, and sawing down PVC pipe.

I'm not much for lugging around a ton of equipment when I go hiking and camping, so the SAK saw is very much my style. I don't have to deal with the excess weight of a hatchet, ax or large knife, but I get big cutting power.

I'm a big fan of muscle memory, and after using my Farmer every single day of the year, I'm confident that there will be no mistakes during the more tense moments in life.

The saw also adds an extra layer of width to my Vic Farmer, helping to create a better grip than I'd get on a Soldier, SI, or Pioneer. It's not such a big deal with normal everyday work, but is quite noticeable when performing longer outdoor chores in the woods.

Reading this thread was the final push to pull the trigger on my VERY FIRST SAK!

I chose the Vic Trailmaster - I think it's called the Trekker elsewhere.

VictorinoxTrekerOneHandOpener.jpg

That's an excellent choice. It's my go-to-SAK when I'm in the woods.
If it came in ALOX it would be perfect.

Congratulations on the Trailmaster HandofGod! I was thinking of that one too but as I do love the red wine I prefer having the cork screw (otherwise the Forester and Trekker are the same) and I like the grippy handle option (sacrificing the tooth pick and tweezers).

I plan on EDC-ing an alox Pioneer, switch to the Forester on those impulsive forest walks (I live in the woods) and will get a Huntsman traveling.

The saw on SAKs and MTs is awesome! In some applications, it's a deal breaker for me. I own dozens and dozens of tools with saws and they function flawlessly! The are great for notching, getting a clean/straight cut, using the back as a firesteel striker (best I've ever seen), and just general cutting in the home, garden, or the field. I made a marshmallow gun for a science project a few years back and all I used was the saw on my Farmer. It was VERY effective! Plus, you can split wood with a saw. (credit to Ray Mears on that one!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcRYSFqjLgY

I've actually cut through a 4x4 once with my Swisschamp saw. Took a while, but I got it done (I didn't have a full-sized saw with me at the time. Who carries a full-sized saw around anyways?)

the saw on my Farmer and more recently on my Pioneer Harvester have been used not only to cut notches etc. in outdoor applications. But have also cut holes in walls, drywall, profile cut parts for woodworking projects, rubber etc. etc. etc.

And the saws on the Victorinox knives cuts far better and lasts longer than most of the saws on multitools out there.

Truly one of the most versatile and usefull tools included on the SAK's

the saw on my Farmer and more recently on my Pioneer Harvester have been used not only to cut notches etc. in outdoor applications. But have also cut holes in walls, drywall, profile cut parts for woodworking projects, rubber etc. etc. etc.

And the saws on the Victorinox knives cuts far better and lasts longer than most of the saws on multitools out there.

+. I've done the same and that's where the saw is useful to me. I also use the saw whenever I want to save the blade's sharpness for finer or more delicate cuts. Plus, using the saw on somethings like plastics is safer for me, IMHO, than push cutting through the same with a blade.

I like the farmer over the old soldier because the extra layer of the saw, makes it fit in the hand better.

I like the saw for notches, or if I need a flat end on a branch that is pretty small. I also find the saw to be a great backup if I ever need to cut something inside that is made of wood, as I doubt I will have a large knife in any buildings in the city around here.

I love having a saw of some kind on me most of the time (Vic or Leatherman) and use mine a lot, trimming bushes and trees around the farm, in the garden, even around the house occasionally. I'll carry a Juice S2 or Skeletool ect. sometimes if I'm out and about in town as they are light and small, but won't keep a full size multitool that doesn't have a saw. That's why I sold a Gerber 600 I had recently, as it had a file but no saw and that just bugged me in a tool that big.

Last edited:
I've used a victorinox swisstool to saw through a 2x4 no problem, and the saw on my leatherman wave gets used regularly. I agree that if you havnt tried one of these saws out, you don't really see just how useful they are. If your trying to work in tight around rocks, or other vegetation, you won't find a more capable little tool.

Back