Why are Alox model springs so tight?

And do they ever loosen up any? 91mm models springs are quite smooth. Dont have the fear that they’ll bite.

Anyone been “bit” by a Alox model?

And do they ever loosen up any? 91mm models springs are quite smooth. Dont have the fear that they’ll bite.

Anyone been “bit” by a Alox model?
Maybe because they are heirs of the military issued knife. Some people likes this under togetherness and feel more secure.

I am eighty and have slightly arthritic hands but welcome the tight springs as an indication of quality, durability and safety. I believe it’s relatively easy to develop a habit of opening and closing these heavy-duty knives safely.

Ive got ya beat by one year! :)

At 81, I have some definite arthritis from half a lifetime in a machine shop cranking on Bridgeport mills and Hardinge lathes. Some bad worn and painful knuckles. BUT...I can and do carry the old Wenger SI, pioneer, cadet, and alox bantam on a regular basis. I love the alox models and I really believe them to be the better quality SAK's. Yes, they are built a bit beefier, but they will hold up to hard work better than the cellidor models. I've had a tinker buckle at the middle rivet because the Phillips driver is not as sturdy as it needs to be, and I've had cellidor scales melt from some gun cleaning solvents an mosquito repellents.

If you can't handle alox SAK's without fear of cutting yourself, maybe you'd best not handle any pocket knife. My Wenger SI is over thirty years old, has seen some very hard use, and aside from the blade being a bit worn down, and the screw drivers a bit scarred, its fit for carry today. As I type, its in its nylon belt pouch, along with a Fenix E01. I've actually held it by the open screw driver/bottle opener and used the handles as a small tack hammer.

The alox SAK's are the bomb proof SAK's.

I don’t think I’ve ever been bitten by an Alox SAK, but I stopped carrying a specific Pioneer because the main blade was an absolute nail-breaker to open. The snap of the spring would transfer through the blade and actually hurt my thumbnail.

Ive got ya beat by one year! :)

At 81, I have some definite arthritis from half a lifetime in a machine shop cranking on Bridgeport mills and Hardinge lathes. Some bad worn and painful knuckles. BUT...I can and do carry the old Wenger SI, pioneer, cadet, and alox bantam on a regular basis. I love the alox models and I really believe them to be the better quality SAK's. Yes, they are built a bit beefier, but they will hold up to hard work better than the cellidor models. I've had a tinker buckle at the middle rivet because the Phillips driver is not as sturdy as it needs to be, and I've had cellidor scales melt from some gun cleaning solvents an mosquito repellents.

If you can't handle alox SAK's without fear of cutting yourself, maybe you'd best not handle any pocket knife. My Wenger SI is over thirty years old, has seen some very hard use, and aside from the blade being a bit worn down, and the screw drivers a bit scarred, its fit for carry today. As I type, its in its nylon belt pouch, along with a Fenix E01. I've actually held it by the open screw driver/bottle opener and used the handles as a small tack hammer.

The alox SAK's are the bomb proof
No fear of cutting myself with a Alox model. Just asking a question about the spring tension in the two models.

Just real tight both ways as a posed to the 91mm models. They are more heavy duty so i guess thats the main reason.

I was bitten once by a Pioneer. I sold it off the very next day. Not because of that, but I found it to be a bit too large for my typical urban use. I've settled on 84mm models and especially love my old 'Recruit' that was recently fully overhauled in Ibach :)

Back