Why are the Solos so inexpensive?

Hi, all,
I was just taking a look at the solos on the Spydie website, and quite frankly, I couldn't believe the prices, 49 for the large and 46 for the small (if I remember right). My question is; Why are they so much less expensive than other similar knives in the spyderco collection? Did I missread something?

------------------
One small step for man, One giant leap for frogs, One mile for fleas.
It's all about perspective.

Here's my two guesses:

1. They are really small. (Which they are.)
2. They have never really "caught on" so there is not a huge demand for them (compared to Starmates, Lums, and some of the other exotic stuff).

They are pretty nice little knives, especially if you like a slim knife.

------------------
Paul Davidson

Them:"What's that clipped to your pocket, a beeper?"
Me:"Uuh....yeah, something like that."

Hi edrozen,

You have discovered a sweet little secret: YES - THEY are cheap - go ahead and buy one fast !!!

It also came to my mind few days ago, as I browsed the knifecenter.com, where both Solos are priced around $90, that the price at spyderco web site is rediculously low.
I do not agree that they are cheap because they are small (?) - As we know size has no relation to price in the knife world in general and spyderco's line particularly (see the prices on the tiny C27 Jess Horn or C22 Michael Walker ). Besides, the S002 has a 3" 3/8 blade length which is far from being small.

I think the reason is that IRONSTONE, the only marketing channel for the Solo line is closed and they have to move out these knives.

I believe that these elegant folders are worth the $90 price tag and advise you to put your hands on one of them. I also put my money where my mouth is as I just bought the Solo 002 Plainedge yesterday- It is beautifully made folder with a japanese touch and I paid ~ $90 as I do not live in the US and I still think it well worth it.
Look at that link: http://www.spyderco.com/knife/cat_so01.html
It is an old page in Spyderco homepage (they now point you to the new page with the new prices) showing old pricing on the Solos - they were priced at $114 and $120 respectivly, retail of course - which makes $90 acceptable for internet dealers. That is the story....

[This message has been edited by AG (edited 03-28-2000).]

Does anybody have a picture of the real thing? Would very much appreciate it.
smile.gif

Dan

The original Solo didn't get enough dealer support to maintain the line. Ironstone handled it for a while. When Ironstone mail order closed, the line became a Spyderco direct sale (in with the discontinued models) that dealers for one reason or another are not carrying. Hope that helps. It is excellent value for the money.

sal

Thanks Sal, and others!!!!
thanks for the responses. If I didn't just blow my tax refund on another knife. I'd be all over it. I just hope the prices are still low when I'm ready to pick them up.

I do not like correcting anyone, however, Ironstone was not the only Solo outlet.

We have Solo, Moki, Taiyo, Fugata, Sakai and other discontinued Spyderco in stock. Call Wright Knives at 1-800-400-1980. Dennis has them and can get more from us if needed. Or, have your favorite storefront dealer call us.

John

------------------
John F Jensen
"Your Quality Distributor"
619-475-3633

Back