Why are there so many knives that are half carbon fiber and half titatnium?

That's not how it works. CF knives do not opt for a frame lock and swap half the carbon fiber?
Titanium frame lock knife desigs opt for a CF scale for aesthetics and weight savings. And frame locks are on a popular ride for a while now. Liner locks not so much.
Yeah, I tend to agree. I think most companies are likely choosing CF for aesthetics.

CF generally has wonderful properties of you design intelligently with it, but it doesn't seem like most companies do anything really special with it.

Yikes, this thread is a disaster. 0_o
Y'all are making my eye twitch.
I hope the OP has found some CF linerlocks (or other lock types that don't need to mess with lockbars) that satisfy.

A242E291-E604-4EE3-80F5-E2891B92865C.jpeg
Alright, so just to consolidate all the replies, the reasoning behind the titanium being there is because most folding knives still use a liner lock and carbon fiber isn't well suited to be used as a liner lock.

I do not own any titanium construction knives as of yet (my collection is kept under a dozen knives) but I do own a 940-1, which is full carbon fiber handle scales. I know that Benchmade's axis lock and Spyderco's back lock allow it to circumvent the need for a liner lock but I think full carbon fiber can still be done on a liner lock if someone were to put in steel/aluminum inlays and extend that into being the liner lock. It won't be identical on both sides with the steel liner jutting out from underneath on one side but it could maximize the carbon fiber into a more uniform look.
There are a lot of metal parts in a B/M 940-1 handle. Lock plates, lock bar, blade stop, Omega springs, screws, threaded inserts, etc.

B6C0BC9B-68C6-4106-AA3B-FD8451D2CFB2.jpeg Here is a WE Eschaton liner lock folder. The rear end of the frame is Titanium in one piece, The front end of the frame is C/F in two pieces. The lock (leaf) spring is steel. The spring is bolted in 2 places to both the Ti and the C/F. In the 1st picture, you can see the 3 layers fastened together. The C/F is on the left, the Ti is in the middle, and the steel spring is on the right.
In the 2nd picture, you can see the 2 screws that hold the layers together.
1337E705-93A8-4894-9C93-B3B7CB85465E.jpeg

If it didn't sell so well, there wouldn't be so many done that way. Simple.

CF, G10, etc. and liner locks are a great combination. There was a recent post about the LAPD TBFK knife which is liner lock with nicely made G10 scales. There are variations on the CF which is layered with other materials. I think I remember something about the Spyderco Gayle Bradley having composite handle scales and folks getting PO's because they were not solid CF.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/pros-and-cons-of-carbon-fiber-handle-scales.1212072/

Last edited:
Someone said some sports cars have carbon fiber wheels. Does the ZT Cf 450 have a Ti side?

Back