why can't manufacturers fit & finish be as good

I looked at a bose/case trapper today so I will use it as a comparison, but I am speaking of any custom folder. If the manufacturer has to go through most of the same steps to come up with a finished knife then why can't they do better. You would think that with modern technology and precise machinery that they could at least get the blade and spring to match up as well as a high end knife. some of the bose knives I have seen you have to look close to see where the blade stops and the spring begins. This is not a gripe , I am just curious.

I think it is because the majority of knife buyers like "shiney and inexpensive". Shiney and inexpensive can be done fast if you use stainless and tumble the blades and springs. The kind of fit and finish you see in the Case/Bose collaboration knives is a ground finish and requires a process that is slower and more costly. That drives the price up and it just isn't as shiney.

so, it isn't that manufactures can't do it, some of them do it on a limited basis and pass the additional cost to a much smaller customer base that is willing to pay the price.

tumbling the blades and springs is a process i am not familiar with. That would explain why most of the edges ar somewhat rounded.

They would sharpen the blades afterward not before that process.

tumbling the blades and springs is a process i am not familiar with. That would explain why most of the edges ar somewhat rounded.

I was speaking of the edges where the back of the blade meets the spring when open. I got out several of my case knives and they are a long way from fitting as close as your custom knives.

Case puts out more knives in one day than what the Bose shop can put out in a year. They cant afford to put the time and effort into the knives and still offer a cheap price. That is why a quality custom will cost you 10X what a quality factory knife will cost. I have been through the Case factory and seen just how fast the the production is. You cant imagine the time and effort it takes to turn out a quality custom, with no flaws, like what carries the Bose stamp. If you want near custom quality at a fair price go to a Bose Colab. I think the price that case offers(on the standard production knife) for the quality is very reasonable..The knife will not be without its small imperfections, but with the right metal, will still cut a box open, clean your fingernails or peel an apple just as well.. ;)..

Of course for toenails I prefer a Bose..I can even provide a picture to prove it..:barf: :eek:

I was speaking of the edges where the back of the blade meets the spring when open. I got out several of my case knives and they are a long way from fitting as close as your custom knives.

Gotcha. I am so used to thinking of the other edges that I misread your meaning.

Back