Why clip point??

slag

Basic Member
I had noticed the post on the clip point SHII that had been obtained at a recent show....as always, a beautiful piece.

I was just curious as to why one would choose that particular blade style over the standard drop point of the Busse knives(E's and old SHII's)? Are there advantages/disadvantages to one style over the other? How would tip strength be affected, if at all? How about chopping, with what would appear to be less mass available at the end of the knife due to the clip point?
Does the fact that the production blades come with the drop point rather than the clip point mean anything as to the usability(sp?), or practicality of this style, or lack thereof?

I'm only curious, and always hungry for info.

thanks.

[This message has been edited by slag (edited 04-23-2001).]

These clip pointed SH's are variations of the regular drop points, and were only made in very limited quantities (only two for the clips). I believe they were designed to be collector's pieces more than utalitarian pieces, though they could easily fill this role. The clip is very similar to the one on the old BM, and it is a very slight clip, and therefore the tip strength is still amazingly high. I imagine that chopping would not be affected much either, if at all, because of the slightness of the clip. I think the clip is very beautiful, and a good idea for a variant.

If you want a user, get a regular version; not because they are drop point, but because they are significantly cheaper (I'm almost certain of this). Also, if you scratch up the coating on the blade, you won't have to worry about wrecking its collectibility.

That's how I see it, anyway.

Ok, so it appears a drop point is the most applicable for hunting/food preparation.

How about when it comes to more utilitarian tasks? That is, hunting not being a primary concern? I guess even in the great outdoors, I'm not really needing one for cleaning game. Food is provided from cans and similar means. From where I'm at, I would think that the pointier tip on the clip point, would work far better for stabbing, penetrating, etc. And I would imagine that 1/4" INFI clip point is still going to be hard pressed to find itself getting damaged.

So, for a survival/backpacking knife....would one be a better choice than the other? Again, no cleaning of game will be taking place.
Anyone else???

Back