Why did Leatherman make the Ti and the XTi?

They could have just made one model. Both could have the crimper and cutting hook, right? And why the need for 2 bit drivers? I don't own either yet, but im just trying to figure out which I would need.

Am I missing something?

An XTi with scissors instead of 2 bit drivers would be the one.

You can't please everyone. The "perfect" combination is entirely subjective. Myself, I'd ditch the can opener and the large flathead screwdriver in favor of a second bit driver (which would fit both the large and optional medium flatheads).

Planterz said:
You can't please everyone. The "perfect" combination is entirely subjective. Myself, I'd ditch the can opener and the large flathead screwdriver in favor of a second bit driver (which would fit both the large and optional medium flatheads).

Yup I cant stand those damn can openers or even worse mofo corkscrews !!!

These are supposed to be TOOLS not kitchen appliances !!

They should take out the can-opener on the Charge and replace it with an Awl or a Chisel or anything !!!!

no way !as a survival tool,charge must needed to have a can opener! ;)

just i hope it will be sharper to open the cans.....

SAK = Survial for out in the wilderness !!!

SwissTool/Charge = MultiTOOL for everyday use at home & work !!!

I hate damn corkscrews !!!! :barf:

I found these pics on ebay with all the tools open :)

Ti
7a_12_s.JPG

XTi
1d_12_s.JPG

You know that can opener sure does look out of place. They would have been better off putting a bottle opener! Nothing like a cold beer after a hard days work ;)(Edit: well i guess it probably doubles as a bottle opener :eek: ) Can you take these things apart? I wonder if the scissors from the Ti would fit in place of the can opener on the Xti?(Edit: now that I look at the pic again the scissors are on the opposite side :eek: )

Ugh, Im sill having trouble decideing which one to get! I plan on ordering tommorow morning so ill have to decide tonight :)

Moon said:
I wonder if the scissors from the Ti would fit in place of the can opener on the Xti?(Edit: now that I look at the pic again the scissors are on the opposite side :eek: )

Ugh, Im sill having trouble decideing which one to get! I plan on ordering tommorow morning so ill have to decide tonight :)

Damn good scissors idea !!

I bet LM do these things deliberately just to keep us wanting more.... and then buying their new models when they come out in a few years !!!

Wondering - would it be possible to grind the can opener down to a useful Awl ???

Good luck in choosing - personally I'd go for the Ti hands down :cool:

Perfectionist said:
Damn good scissors idea !!

I bet LM do these things deliberately just to keep us wanting more.... and then buying their new models when they come out in a few years !!!

Wondering - would it be possible to grind the can opener down to a useful Awl ???

Good luck in choosing - personally I'd go for the Ti hands down :cool:

You could take any LM apart if you get the five star security torx driver. Of course you need to sign some legalese to get it.

http://www.lara.com/torx-plus-tr.htm

:mad: LM void their warranty if you open/tamper with it !!! :mad:

I wonder - if I "accidentally" break the plain Ti Serrated Knife..... send it back to LM and ask for it to be replaced with an XTi Serrated Knife with Cutting Hook..... would they do it ???

Well I emailed Leatherman on Friday and I got a response today :)

My Email said:
I was wondering why Leatherman decided to make the Charge Ti and the XTi? Instead of just making an XTi with scissors replacing one of the large bit drivers?

Leathermans Response said:
This is in response to your internet e-mail message rec'd in our offices last Friday evening. Leatherman's tool offerings are full of "choices", and we wanted to give the average consumer a choice of what he might prefer in a tool. The Charge XTi gives a person a little bit different tool, one with a cutting hook instead of a scissor. The cutting hook is popular among fishermen, hunters and EMS people. It offers a cap crimper, which is another specialty for those bomb technicians and the Military. I hope this answers your question. Thanks for contacting us.

Perfectionist said:
:mad: LM void their warranty if you open/tamper with it !!! :mad:

I wonder - if I "accidentally" break the plain Ti Serrated Knife..... send it back to LM and ask for it to be replaced with an XTi Serrated Knife with Cutting Hook..... would they do it ???

Of course it voids your warranty, but if you want to, you can. ;-)

LM's tools are probably easier to replace than fix, so my guess is that you would get a new Ti... if they take special orders for one person, they'd have to do it for everyone.

Back