Why do makers charge the prices they do?

Darrel,

So let me get this straight. You are custom knife maker, and artist per se, who treats Briar Knives like a business.

Taking into account all those things that effect the price of the knife. Then making the determination what is a fair price. Both for the customer and a price that allows you to take care of your business and provide for your family.

You continue to come out with new designs, upgrade materials, have a web site, attend shows, advertise and constantly keep your name out there.

You know it's actions like these that will only bring you one thing.....Success!

------------------
Les Robertson
Custom Knife Entrepreneur

http://www.robertsoncustomcutlery.com

Les, you're right again, Darrel should write a book, "How to be a Custom Knifemaker"

or....."How to Make Money being a Custom Knifemaker"
smile.gif

Some of you guys make me sit here and laugh.

You talk of money as if it were a "bad" thing.

Guys, when I was working my way through college, there were many times between pay checks that peanut butter and Jelly sandwich and a glass of milk was dinner. Not because I was in a hurry and just needed a quick dinner.

Ive known Darrel for over 5 years. I will tell you that everything he has gotten he has worked for.

As Tom has obsereved, Darrel could write a book titled "how to make money making custom knives".

For those of you who feel money is some how beneath you. Consider the plight of the Samurai. Arguably the greatest warriors who have ever lived.

For Centuries in Japan, except for the Shogun, the most respected people in Japan were the Samurai. These great warriors never dealt in money. As money was beneath them. The same could be said for the sword makers who made their Katana's and Wakizashi's.

Then in 18th Century Japan when the Fudeal system started to disappear. Warriors who were trained for nothing else, and were not wise in how to handle money. Were reduced to beggars. For some they could not face the shame of this.

These Samurai felt it better to violate the Bushido code and become Ronin (Mercanaries,Masterless Samurai). Thus enabling themselves to die like a warrior. A better fate than to die a destitue beggar in the street.

Ultimately they sold their skills to the higest bidder.

First, they sold their abilites, then ultimately their weapons and the weapons of others the had defeated. They were loathed by some, feared by many and respected by most. They in fact became the first Custom Knife Dealers!
biggrin.gif

But what became of the custom knife makers during this period. Well, sadly they to only had one skill to rely on. Consequently, they were forced to handle that most vile substance...money.

First, they sold to the Ronin (custom knife dealers). Then as the Ronin helped establish their swords as a marketable item throughout Japan. After this was accomplished, some sword makers tried to by pass the Ronin. They actually sold the knives directly to the customers.

Sadly, this proved a fatal error for some. As Ronin had no mercy, they just killed the sword maker. As there were hundreds of others to chose from.

The moral of the story is that the Samurai and their Sword makers have become become legends and some Deities. Such as Miyamoto Musashi, who is considered to be Japan's greatest swordsman.

Unknown by many is that he was also it's greatest custom knife dealer. As he only sold custom knives and would never dirty his hands with factory knives. Sold only the best quality custom knives at a fair price and would honor that price should one of his clients decide they wanted to trade it in.

Additionally, he may be known best in the "West" for his book entitled "Go Rin No Sho" or in english "The Book of the 5 Rings". This book has been considered by most US Corporations as possibly the definative book on how to conduct business dealings with the Japanese.

So what have we learned here. That while money may not be the most important consideration in one's business dealings. It is still very important.

Many great artisians have become destitue and died penniless because of the lack of business skills.

Also, that while your culture and those of other cultures may view you as a genius hundreds of years down the road. However, that doesnt pay your bills today.

Take Vincent Van Gogh for instance. Many thought he cut off his ear for love. No, he cut it off so at least part of him didnt have to listen to the bill collectors constantly demanding payment for debts he had incurred.

Finally, how Ironic is it that a 18th century custom knife dealer wrote the definative business relations book two help two of the most powerful business driven nations to be better able to work together.
biggrin.gif

As you can probably tell, Ive gotten a little caught up and there is not a football game on that I care to watch.

Les Robertson
"The BullS**t piled up so fast in Vietnam, you had to grow wings just to stay above it"
Captain Willard....Apocalypse Now!

------------------
Les Robertson

Wow Les, can I kindly suggest one less scoop of coffee mix in the next batch?
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Les Robertson:
Some of you guys make me sit here and laugh.

Come on, you gotta love the "Van Gogh" joke!

Oh, Garfield I don't drink coffee. Also, now you get an insight why I don't drink alcohol (besides one drink and I fall asleep).

------------------
Les Robertson

redface.gif

Didnt mean to get all riled up here.

I feel its a labor of love. But the business end has to be addressed.

Les you have been reading again.. ;D

A book ? Any shadow writers out there ?

biggrin.gif

------------------
Web Site At www.darrelralph.com
NEW WEB SITE TAKE A LOOK!!!!!!!!!
New projects and pics to look at !!!!

Shadow writing a book on custom knives and making money... now that would be a labor of love.
Mike K.

Back