Why does Case get a pass on "surgical steel?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
What? We are talking value for your buck. If case made a trapper in vg10, and charged the same as for 420, which would you buy? Why? Exactly.
Probably a GEC Slipjoint in 1095. ;) Because I like them better than Case knives in general and I'm willing to pay for them.

I believe what people are trying to tell you is that materials are only one factor that determines value. Some people will pay more for craftsmanship. You dismiss this as "you want a pretty knife in shitty steel" as if the only thing that matters is the steel hardness. You are posting on a knife enthusiast forum, man. Stop trying to tell everyone that apples are better than oranges.

Wood and bone are better materials than FRN plastic.
Brother, that would be awesome if I cut with the handle. Let's do this. If you could get a case trapper in vg10 for the same price as the 420, would you still choose the 420? L
Nope. Why. Because vg10 is better and we all know it. If you collect knives for the art work, absolutely case is a good option. But for cutting, nah man. I'll take the good steel.

Nope.... if they are so superior, why do I choose to carry a Vic Small Tinker (~3.3" closed) which had two blades or a Case Peanut which also has two blades. I don't see Spyderco's as superior at all. Again, it is a case of Apples and Oranges in the knife world. And, no I don't see a lot of better value with the Delica vs the Case or Vic knife. To some, the blade on the Delica looks kind of funky.
It's one of the ugliest knives I've ever seen. But that doesn't change its value. You choose to carry what u carry because quality of the blade material doesn't mean as much to you as me, would be my guess. But any day you want to run the cardboard test, we will certainly see which is superior.

A woman who doesn't understand chemistry then, though that's not surprising.
Boooo... bad point. You need to apologize for that one. You're trying really hard to get this thread locked. Some people prefer traditional knives whether they be in "surgical steel", 420HC, 1095, or whatever. That is just the way things are. I think Case does get a pass on their "surgical steel" overall, because they're Case.

I think the best way if anyone isn’t sure about it is to pick up a Case peanut or butterbean and see how you like it. If you don’t, sell it or gift it to a friend. I like all kinds of knives and steels, but a little Case is always a great carry and handy to have around.

Last edited:
I would choose to cut boxes every time with a slip joint because of the blade thickness. Why do you think utility knives have such a thin blade?

Nope, not what I want you to do at all. I want you buy a TRAPPER made by Spyderco out of VG-10 steel so we can compare cutting cardboard on even ground, pattern for pattern, grind for grind. Then we can find out who makes the better trapper.

If I wanted a modern one handed opening lockback with decent steel I'd pick up an Endura (and have one). If I wanted a trapper pattern knife with jigged orange synthetic scales, I'll buy a Case. They are both knives, they both cut things, but the Spyderco is a TERRIBLE trapper pattern knife (because it is 100% not a trapper pattern). So if I want a trapper pattern knife, I guess I won't be buying a Spyderco.

How about this, since that wasn't a fair comparison. I'll take my low end Shun Sora (VG-10 cutting edge) and place it head to head with your VG-10 Delica to prep 20 lbs of carrots, 20 lbs of celery, 20 lbs of green bell pepper, 10 lbs of andouille sausage, and 5lbs of shrimp. I guarantee I'll finish first. Equal steel and everything, the kitchen knife is (not surprisingly) better at kitchen stuff. Does that make it the 'better knife', only in that circumstance.

So, in comparing your Delica to my trapper, can you say your Delica is the 'better knife'? A better knife for what? Nope it's not better, it's a different knife. So going off all half cocked about how you can buy a Delica for the same price as some Case knives, and the Delica is obviously the better knife because it has a different steel and a lock is not only non-sequitur, it's absurd.
Ok man, when you need someone to cut something other than your fingernail, give me a call. Is the steel better- yes. Does the delica have a better edge geometry-sure. Does it have modern ergonomics- absolutely. Does case have these things,- nope. Are they roughly the same price-yep. And you absolutely would take a case trapper in vg10 over one in 420, so yes that's measurably superior. because the case knife is pretty, you place value on it for that. I don't. A knife is about function. If you want to say the case is superior in terms of looks, I wouldn't cry like a bitch. But when someone has the audacity to say that vg10 for 65 is better value than 420 at the same price , what do you do?

Brother, that would be awesome if I cut with the handle. Let's do this. If you could get a case trapper in vg10 for the same price as the 420, would you still choose the 420? L
Nope. Why. Because vg10 is better and we all know it. If you collect knives for the art work, absolutely case is a good option. But for cutting, nah man. I'll take the good steel.
At least here you are comparing two different steels on the same knife, so you are taking blade geometry, ergonomics, style, etc. out of the equation.
What you don't seem to be able to understand, is that people bristle when someone comes in with an arrogant attitude, making blanket statements about what is "best". Different knives work best for different uses. A fillet knife is not a cleaver is not a scalpel, etc. and members here all have their own experiences and preferences.
A woman who doesn't understand chemistry then, though that's not surprising.
:rolleyes:

Last I checked the topic was...

"We all crap all over every company that advertises that they use "surgical steel." Yet Case, which is highly regarded touts their Tru-Sharp Surgical Steel, and we all go along with it. Do they get some kind of special dispensation? Or do people hate on Case also and I'm just unaware of it? Assuming they do get apass... why? Is case just too much of a sacred cow to butcher? Do we actually know kind of steel the "Tru-Sharp Surgical Steel" is?"
Nope. I simply said that for the price the vg10 delica is going to get you farther. Any extrapolation you have other than that is off topic.
Boooo... bad point. You need to apologize for that one. You're trying really hard to get this thread locked. Some people prefer traditional knives whether they be in "surgical steel", 420HC, 1095, or whatever. That is just the way things are. I think Case does get a pass on their "surgical steel" overall, because they're Case.
I'm a chemist by trade. I actually know for a fact there aren't many women chemist, compared to men. I never said someone couldn't prefer what they prefer. That is what every keeps saying I'm saying, but i never said that. It's like instead of arguing against the point I made they simply say "well, I prefer case", and that's fine, no argument. But for value of the money you spent, the vg 10 will take you further. It's that simple. No one has yet denied that fact. It's all about their opinions.

Nope. I simply said that for the price the vg10 delica is going to get you farther. Any extrapolation you have other than that is off topic.

That was a quote from the original first post.... "THE Topic"! Somehow you got into comparing Spydercos modern folder with Case Slipjoints, and then went into chemistry and started arbitrarily insulting women.

I bet youre fun at parties, but you probably don't stick around long.

I get your points and agree with a lot of it, but I don’t think a Delica has any better edge geometry than most of my Case knives. I have both Spyderco’s and Case knives and both are very good. I would probably gives the edge to my Trapper over my Delica, but I don’t have a caliper to prove it. Don’t get me wrong, Spyderco has some of the thinnest blade grinds in the production world, but most traditionals are known for that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back