Why does Hinderer not do reblades?

Rick and Rob can have abrasive personalities to put it mildly. Their unwillingness to talk about detents and other issues turned me off to Hinderer for a long time but they must have finally listened and the last few I've handled have all been spot on with detent and overall quality. After trying a few XM18s several years ago and selling them all, I've tried again recently and have become a full on fanboy with a variety of their knives. I buy knives, no the guy that makes them. Hinderer, Strider (gasp), Emerson, Medford, etc. All these guys can be a pit prickly.

Regarding re-bladed knives: There are a lot of areas in life where a small percentage of people use up a disproportionately large amount of resources. I suspect that people wanting their knife "re-bladed" would fall into that category of people who are difficult or impossible to satisfy. How many people does RHK have putting knives together? A half dozen? There seems to be only a handful of different name cards that come in the box. Is it worth it to them to take one of those individuals away from assembling new knives to do custom requests? Should they hire someone else? I don't know but I'm not going to fault them for choosing not to re-blade knives.

I buy knives, no the guy that makes them.

I have to say I used to be very similar in that regard. However, as I got more into knives, and purchased more knives, I realized one thing about me was that when it came to using my knives, I would always pick up my cheaper knives to use. There was one thing, however, that did help me to lose the fear of using the knife and that was having a good customer service and warranty program. Ultimately, that is one of the main reasons for this post entirely. I have mentioned in past threads that I work in an office environment and I am never in a position where I need or even have the opportunity to use my knife harshly. But to me personally, having the comfort there knowing that should anything happen to my knife, the company will help me out. And that is why I slowly began to care more about the maker as that typically has correlation to the maker's customer service.

I like to have the peace of mind that if I were to accidentally drop my knife while it was opened and snapped the tip off, I could spend maybe 1/4 the cost of the knife to get a new blade, not 100% of the cost to get an entirely new replacement. But it is a great point which I haven't thought much about; RHK only has a few people working on putting the knives together and hiring another employee to work on custom requests would up the costs for the entire company and so I understand why they would not do it.

There are a lot of areas in life where a small percentage of people use up a disproportionately large amount of resources

This is true, which is why a proposal would be to allow each knife to have a limit to the number of reblades done. Ultimately, from the business point of view, the money made from the customers gained from adding a reblading service will surely never match the money saved from not having the service.

I will continue to dream though and hope some day he will decide to add a re-blade program.

If you used and resharpened a Hinderer enough times to wear the blade into a stub, your arm will have fallen off.
You need to find a place with arm replacement, not blade replacement. ;)

Someone would have to be an idiot with a belt sander to wear the blade down from resharpening. The blades are not narrow or thin.
Not true I own a gen 6 spear point and have a wicked edge pro pack and a kme I use my knives a lot Abe don’t like to have anything less than hair popping sharpness so I sharpen every couple days to maintain and my hinderer is 100% noticeably wearing down the blade doesn’t look nearly as wide fro edge to spine as it did and same with my Chris reeve zaan it is really looking skimpy I’m actually sending it in for a blade replacement next week I’m purchasing a tanto and a drop point from Chris reeve my striders are the same way but I talked to a couple people at strider and they told me they would reblade my sng’s and my smf’s whenever I need them done. So yeah for this reason alone I’ll probably never buy another hinderer because if he can’t offer a service that won’t lose him any money but probably in the long run gain him money then I’ll take my business to companies that do.

Rick and Rob can have abrasive personalities to put it mildly. Their unwillingness to talk about detents and other issues turned me off to Hinderer for a long time but they must have finally listened and the last few I've handled have all been spot on with detent and overall quality. After trying a few XM18s several years ago and selling them all, I've tried again recently and have become a full on fanboy with a variety of their knives. I buy knives, no the guy that makes them. Hinderer, Strider (gasp), Emerson, Medford, etc. All these guys can be a pit prickly.

Regarding re-bladed knives: There are a lot of areas in life where a small percentage of people use up a disproportionately large amount of resources. I suspect that people wanting their knife "re-bladed" would fall into that category of people who are difficult or impossible to satisfy. How many people does RHK have putting knives together? A half dozen? There seems to be only a handful of different name cards that come in the box. Is it worth it to them to take one of those individuals away from assembling new knives to do custom requests? Should they hire someone else? I don't know but I'm not going to fault them for choosing not to re-blade knives.
Not true I like my knives hair popping sharp so I sharpen every couple days on my kme or wicked edge pro pack and have worn down my Chris reeve zaan and Xmas-18 gen 6 spear point with my zaan which I’m sending in next week for a reblade I am purchasing a tanto and a drop point that way I can rotate blades but for my hinderer I guess it’s just going to have to look stupid and skimpy so it will probably be thrown in the safe and out of rotation I own a ton of high end knives and even josh at strider knives said they would reblade my sng’s and my smf’s when I need them done I’m sure I could talk to Greg Medford on my usmc fighter flippers and Pretorian ti’s I’m sure he would reblade for a hefty price but cheaper than rebuying the knives which are all over a grand a piece. So I can easily be pleased with all things just offer a service that almost all other companies offer because it’s not like he would be doing it for free he just wants people to spend more money with him which I will 1000% not do anymore and will gladly take my business elsewhere because honestly my hinderers are my least carried knives all my other knives are far superior and would definitely out do my hinderers in any given torture test.

Not true I like my knives hair popping sharp so I sharpen every couple days on my kme or wicked edge pro pack and have worn down my Chris reeve zaan and Xmas-18 gen 6 spear point with my zaan which I’m sending in next week for a reblade I am purchasing a tanto and a drop point that way I can rotate blades but for my hinderer I guess it’s just going to have to look stupid and skimpy so it will probably be thrown in the safe and out of rotation I own a ton of high end knives and even josh at strider knives said they would reblade my sng’s and my smf’s when I need them done I’m sure I could talk to Greg Medford on my usmc fighter flippers and Pretorian ti’s I’m sure he would reblade for a hefty price but cheaper than rebuying the knives which are all over a grand a piece. So I can easily be pleased with all things just offer a service that almost all other companies offer because it’s not like he would be doing it for free he just wants people to spend more money with him which I will 1000% not do anymore and will gladly take my business elsewhere because honestly my hinderers are my least carried knives all my other knives are far superior and would definitely out do my hinderers in any given torture test.

Your Hinderers are your least carried knives, but you're sharpening them every couple days with guided angle systems, even though all your other knives are far superior? Please, put the stones down and practice using a strop or ceramic rods to touch up your edge...it will take much longer for them to start looking "stupid and skimpy."

I don't care about reblading. But it would be great if hinderer does spa treatment.

Standalone blades for user replacement options like they do for hardware would be ideal.

Just a note that re-blading for the typical XM18 requires more work & pieces than one might think:

- new pivot that needs to be lapped (manual work)
- new stop pin
- tang and lock face have to be adjusted to each other, if possible (manual work, 50% chance of needing a new lock face alltogether)

So you are not keeping much of the original knife. And add a couple of hours of manual work that is probably cheaper when you do it semi-automatically for a batch of knives rather than an individual one.

Bottom-line is a new knife might be cheaper than a re-bladed one.

Roland.

Last edited:
What's not true? It seems you're illustrating my point that a small percentage of customers use a large amount of customer service resources. Sharpening yours knives "every couple days" seems like a physiological disorder. Seriously.

Back