Why don't you post in the Custom sub-forum?

There have been a lot of threads over in the custom section about critiques/posting/photos/constructive criticism.... and it has been brought up several times that makers don't post much over there.

There are some guys I see post there a lot... such as Don Hanson, Bruce Bump, Phillip Patton, Karl Anderson, Raymond Richard, Eric Fritz, Dave Lisch.... but not very many of you guys.

I personally feel the Custom section is a wealth of information and insight that I use to better my knifemaking and keep my name/face/work in front of BUYING CUSTOMERS. More importantly, I have gained MANY GREAT FRIENDSHIPS through that forum and that is better than the money.

So just for my curiosity... Why don't you post there? It is the CUSTOM KNIFE FORUM... not the "collectors forum."

I think to make the most of that forum it needs to be a blend of all the different people involved in custom knives.

Edited to add--- I personally know of MANY, BIG time collectors that lurk there but don't post. Most of them don't look in the other sub-forums here... like Shop-talk. If you post your work there, it is being viewed by a huge audience and is a very easy way to gain exposure.

I wonder how many of the "Regulars" in the custom forum actually look in the "For Sale" section?

Hi Nick!

I look at the Custom forum everyday...its part of my morning "check the computer" routine.

My personal opinion is that the Custom Knife Forum, has become the "Custom Collector Forum". Not dogging that change, but along with the change has come a tsunami of influential input, that has curtailed the amount of makers who are willing to post there. I read the recent thread about "Critiques....Is there a problem", and have to agree with Bruce Bump's posts. Many makers are shying away from posting, and for the most part Bladeforums has gained a reputation as being the "Hard Nosed" forum, and I have even heard the terms "rude and obnoxious" used to describe it.

I myself, don't have any issues.....it is what it is. I have heard a few comments.... "I wouldn't post a knife on Bladeforums....unless its perfect....then they would still find something to dog you about."

I think the only times I have ever had issues with any comments posted about a knife is when a negative comment is directed towards a facet of the knife that is construction related, and the comment is made by someone who I know has never created a knife. Some things are done because there is no other practical way to do it. If it doesn't look/feel right, thats one thing, but to have negative comments on a construction aspect, from one who has never experienced what it takes, is uncalled for in my book. But again, it is what it is, and I believe we can give good constructive critiques, without being "over the top."

i just leave it to the bigger names
now and then i ll post something but i dont want to be like oo look another kitchen knife i made:)

its not in fear that i dont post but i like to have something cool or different to show

I find the custom forum page to have a wealth of information. However, when I post over in that forum to try to get feedback from a knife collector/knife buyer point of view, as it regards helping out a knifemaker I find that they don't seem to be very interested in those types of questions. I get the most feedback when I post a knife photo.

Recently I started a thread about my website, hoping for feedback from knife collectors on what they would find helpful in a makers webpage. I'm brand new at designing a webpage and was looking for help from many different viewpoints. I got absolutely "zero" replies.

I'm not disappointed or upset about it. It's just the facts of what interests them. I've learned a lot from reading about what they like and don't like in knives. It's a great place to see what the trends are and where they might be going.

Time - it's just lack of time. :(

Bladeforums is the only knife site I track in any way - and I find it darn near impossible to keep up with "Canadian Connection" and "Shop Talk" - especially when Kevin stirs the pot and I have to take time for Tylenol. :D

No offence intended to other forums - just no time to keep up.

Rob!

I wonder how many of the "Regulars" in the custom forum actually look in the "For Sale" section?

I check out the Makers' for sale forums all the time. It's a great reference on what types of knives the makers that frequent this forum are making.

My personal opinion is that the Custom Knife Forum, has become the "Custom Collector Forum". Not dogging that change, but along with the change has come a tsunami of influential input, that has curtailed the amount of makers who are willing to post there. I read the recent thread about "Critiques....Is there a problem", and have to agree with Bruce Bump's posts. Many makers are shying away from posting, and for the most part Bladeforums has gained a reputation as being the "Hard Nosed" forum, and I have even heard the terms "rude and obnoxious" used to describe it.

I think the only times I have ever had issues with any comments posted about a knife is when a negative comment is directed towards a facet of the knife that is construction related, and the comment is made by someone who I know has never created a knife. Some things are done because there is no other practical way to do it.

It is a shame that makers like yourself feel that way. I would love to see more makers taking part there. The ones that do seem to enjoy being there and have become a valued part of the forum. The more makers that take part, the better the forum will be. I actaully don't find it to be hard nosed, rude or obnoxious, and I hang around there a lot. In my view it is actually just the opposite. Makers are generally well received, unless they display that they have a chip on their shoulder, in the way that makers like Shiva Ki did in the past.

Recently I started a thread about my website, hoping for feedback from knife collectors on what they would find helpful in a makers webpage. I'm brand new at designing a webpage and was looking for help from many different viewpoints. I got absolutely "zero" replies.

I didn't comment on it in the custom forum, because I had already done so in the thread you started in this forum.

It is a real shame that makers feel unwelcome over in the custom forum. I know it certainly not my intent to make them feel that way. It should be a place where makers feel comfortable, not just for showing their work, but also as just a place to hang out. It could potentially give the makers great exposure and would also bring a lot more collectors to the forum.

It would really be great if a lot of the stock removal guys started hanging out there. Amongst makers, it appears that the forum is getting a reputation for being only for collectors. Amongst collectors, it is getting a reputation fro being only for those interested in forged knives. It would sure be nice it if was viewed as being a welcome place for all that are interested in custom knives.

I am going to be following this thread closely, as it is of great interest to me. One of the things that I would love to see is more makers getting involved on knife forums in general. I want to know what would change the opinions of makers that find forums to be hostile, unfriendly places. Makers should take advantage of forums as place to get exposure, and it sure would be great to figure out how to make them more appealing to the makers that find them a waste of time and energy.

I spend more time on the custom forum than I do here. It's definitely one of the best custom knife forums on the net. I've never had a negative experience there and have made many friends.

It's also one of the few forums where a lot of collectors hang out. :D

neither collector nor maker, but I get the sense that if there isn't a glamor shot of a forged bowie, the thread isn't going to go very far over there.

neither collector nor maker, but I get the sense that if there isn't a glamor shot of a forged bowie, the thread isn't going to go very far over there.

Thats an incorrect assumption. Forged hunters get a lot of attention too.

OK, that was a joke.

I have been lurking over at the Custom Forum for a good while, even reply to a post now and then.

Have yet to post a knife picture but maybe I'll post some when I get the next few finished and get the pictures back from Coop.

I hope they will be easy on me:eek: when I get them posted.

Take Care
Charles

I,too,check out Makers For Sale forum and would have scored 2 but,the first one I wanted,the maker quit making that style and the second one,somebody beat me to it.
Sorry for the run on sentence above but is this a knife forum or a grammar and composition forum!? :eek: :confused:

Doug :D

Thanks for the input guys... Keep it coming! :D

Ed- I can see what you're saying and agree. There is definitely a stronger prevalence of collectors than makers there, but the only way to change that is for more makers to post.

Guys don't have to post photos of their knives... just a maker's point of view on various topics would add a lot (I THINK).

Charles, you make a real slick knife, I wouldn't have any worries!!! :thumbup: :cool:

Bought an Ellis there not too long ago..
Charles lets see em!

i love reading the custom knife forum and the makers forums....i learn alot in both and i wish more makers did post over there so all can see.....plus it'll make my life easier-one less place to read!......ryan

I didn't realize it was there, I have always just clicked on the "Makers" clicky dealy at the top of the page trying to learn new stuff. I have been reading it today though and yep, it's scary over there!:D You may criticize my knives all you want, just don't come crawling on your hands and knees when I finally make one somebody wants, I'll just keep them all to myself.:D

I read the custom knife sub forum every few days, but I dont post there for many of the reasons that Mr Caffrey outlined. Even as someone who essentially 'lurks' there, it seems more like collectors arguing over what makes the most collectible hand made knife, not so much a place for a maker to hang out. I haven't been involved in a thread of the type, but I've certainly seen several threads where a maker, usually a newer one or a "non big name" posts a knife that looks great, and a series of collectors one after another post why it's not a good knife and why it'll never be worth anything. People seem so caught up in what's going to be a knife that's going to gain value over there that they seem to be totally disconnected with the vast number of knife makers who don't care about how much their knife is going to be worth in 5 years, but instead care about making a quality product with quality materials that does it's job well, while still being a functional piece of art.

That is not to say that every collector who frequents that forum is that way, some are really great people who can even teach the makers a thing or two about design / flow / etc (Rodger comes to mind), but there are enough that to a non-big-name-maker in particular, it's more or less intimidating to post over there. On the other hand, this forum in particular is very laid back with a great feeling of "come on in, have some fun, learn something, and share what you've done" In some ways this forum seems almost like an entirely different site. Here you have people like Stacy E. Apelt who is the grandfatherly type, always willing to give a sound bit of advice, but always in a tell it like it is manner. Then there are the people like IG, who though most of his posts aren't full of great words of wisdom, is always willing to have anyone over at his shop and to teach them in person how to get off the ground. There are the people like Kevin Cashen who know more about the science behind a good blade than you'd be able to find in a well stocked library, and willing to help dispel myths about heat treating for anyone. It just has a 'community' feel here where people aren't intimidated to post.

I really don't know how to best explain why those who frequent this forum don't as a whole post on the custom sub forum, but over here it's like one big dysfunctional family, but over there it seems more like people who care too much about $$$ and not enough about the wonder of knife making, and enjoying the simple, yet incredibly complex, art involved. Maybe the perception is unfair, but I think most people would feel that a nice frontiersman style antler "blacksmith's folder" with scrolled push lever would be well received and critiqued here, but if posted in the customs sub, would be mostly ignored because it's not something that's going to be 'worth' something.

Anyways, that's my 2cents worth.

Back