Why go sharpened clip-point on an ESEE?

Hey guys - havent purchased another ESEE in probably 6 months (all mine are pre name change - RC3mil,4 & 6), but I keep looking at the clip-points as I have no knives from any company with this feature...

Just wondering, other than for fighting/self defense purposes (which I have no need for), what are the advantages of having a sharpened clip-point?

Sorry if this has been covered already - searched but could not find a relevant thread...

Thanks!
-Harry

someone posted a video demonstrating using the sharpened clip point edge for one handed firestarting with a ferro rod. stab the knife into a log, put tinder next to knife, draw ferro rod against the secondary edge.

I can see the benefit of using the sharpened clip point as a secondary edge, perhaps keeping a stouter edge for heavy duty cutting or striking a firesteel, as well as defensive applications, but I don't really see the need for it in my toolkit. A properly squared spine will get sparks from a firesteel, and I don't foresee having to cut anything that the primary edge won't handle. As for defense, if I'm down to using my knife, I'm just gonna stab repeatedly and scream like a banshee till I can run away. No real use for the clip point there. It's cool that ESEE offers them for those what wants them, but not for me.

I like that I can use the secondary edge on a firesteel but quickly went back to my 3mil.

On smaller blades the clip point allows more detailed work. That is one of the many reason you won't find a caper with a drop point. :)

Guys - thanks for the comments so far. I'm hoping Jeff would chime in w the companies justification (not that any justification is even necesary - I'm just curious) for the offering - since I haven't seen too many sharpened clip-point requests by forum members, I'm assuming it was a response to repeared military requests...

Well, with two edges you can use one when the other gets dull without re-sharpening. IMO ESEE offered the sharpened false edge to make those models more combat oriented. I like the sharpened clips.

Here in MI, the ESEE with the sharpened clip-point is a double-edged knife and illegal to carry.

Outside of combat, I'm not sure I see the purpose of it either. I would be curious to hear if others have a view on it for sporting/survival/utility purposes.

SP

Besides being a great edge for striking a fire steel, in a wilderness environment more inches of cutting edge can be a major plus.

If one were concerned about the sharpened top edge running afoul of double edge knife laws you could dull it a bit and turn it into a scraper rather than a cutter.

The clip point knife for me is useless outside of being a 'poker' in combat/fighting applications. There are probably some minor uses like striking a fire steel but honestly it isn't worth it for the small uses to buy or carry one. BUT if you are into combat/fighting/clandestine ops then I think it is an excellent tool. Mike

I really enjoy the 3MILCP I own , I carry it camping alot , I use the CP area as a dedicated firesteel striker other than that no big deal really .
IMG_0508.jpg

IMG_0510.jpg

and a pic of it back when I purchased it earlier this year
IMG_3569.jpg

Does anybody have any pics of their ESEE 6 Clip Point? I'm thinking about getting one. There doesn't seem to be many detailed pictures of them around.

Clip points come in for defensive purposes for me only. Other than that, I like a flat spine.

The clip point is rather sexy. But I have no need at this time as all my Esee work great being they are strickly utility knives. Maybe if I returned to a high risk environment the clip point would be a good companion. Hell, maybe I should get one with things going downhill the way they are. ;)

Last edited:
I have steared clear for the legality thing...although double edge isn't illegal here in Indiana it is a lot of other places.

The laws are almost always emo hogwash. Cosmetic fear just like with bayonet lugs on rifles and shotguns.

Back