Why hasn't Cold Steel addressed the SRK Sheath Problem? (pic)

I’ve got a replacement sheath ordered. And a 50 grit diamond stone to fix the uneven 28 degree bevel, lol. My $86 dollar knife has morphed to a $140 dollar knife….

Nevertheless, I still really like the knife!

Despite the tight fit some models have, the sheath is actually quality good compared to many other manufacturers.

Good retention, good attachment options, belt loop can be removed and used with or without, ambidextrous, handles rough treatment well, can be removed without taking off your belt, drainage hole, no issues with water.

I would not call it garbage by any means.

It is also encouraging to see that with a mod that the OP made, the tight fit can be alleviated.

Despite the tight fit some models have, the sheath is actually quality good compared to many other manufacturers.

Good retention, good attachment options, belt loop can be removed and used with or without, ambidextrous, handles rough treatment well, can be removed without taking off your belt, drainage hole, no issues with water.

I would not call it garbage by any means.

It is also encouraging to see that with a mod that the OP made, the tight fit can be alleviated.
doesnt Demko have all that in his fixed blade sheaths and solved the doesn't fit and dulls edge issues and can even take it apart and clean it.......

For the $34 my Recon Tanto cost me, the secure ex it came with fits great, I have no issues with it at all. Same with the Drop Forged series I’ve had. Seems there have been poor fit issues because the knife thicknesses and even profiles tend to differ when they offer different steels in the same model. Maybe they don’t spend enough time designing the sheaths to accommodate the differences.

Kydex would be my preference, but there just isn’t going to be a $34 Recon Tanto with kydex. Maybe they could supply kydex with the more expensive versions, or less likely provide Demko style sheaths.

I’m not even a huge fan of the Demko style sheaths. I appreciate that they can be taken apart, but generally prefer a taco style kydex sheath with a big drain hole. No need to take it apart to clean, way smaller profile, and ambidextrous by switching the mount to the other side.

My guess is that the supplied sheath was made for the SRK with the hollow grind blade. The 3V is a flat grind and doesn’t fit (with or without modifications, I tried) at all without really jamming it in hard. Ergo, it is garbage for the 3V knife.

Back