Why I Believe in Fiddleback Forge

Tim the Wizard

Street Samurai
Gold Member
It has been slow days and slow nights on this corner of the forums lately, but we have old friends who remain here and new ones that come and look, finding a little piece of home or moving on as suits them.

With that context in mind, I wanted to take a moment and express why I am still here and why I think Fiddleback Forge is worth your time and your money. I would also invite you to share a story or comment on what keeps you around.

Most will agree, we are in a golden age of knives. Pick a color, a steel, a shape, and you can have it made somewhere. Old timey slipjoints and titanium framelocks abound. Choppers and stabbers and nearly indestructible incarnations of the wakizashi are just a click away. Presentation grade koa hand sanded to infinity grit and dashed into glowpowder inset in clear alumilite... it is yours if you want it.

But there is a danger to choice at times in so much as perspective can be lost. A maker that gives in to every request risks losing their mark on the product. For art to have value, it has to have the soul of the maker in it. This is not true just in the world of knives. When I deal with artists of any type, I try to create a space where they can perform and, even if the relationship is fiscal and I have commissioned art, it is important to me that the end product is something that is still owned by the maker in spirit.

On to point 1: If you buy a Fiddleback Forge knife, it will have the consistency of vision and craftsmanship that Andy has been able to provide throughout the years.

This leads to point 2: the tools are made to perform. They can get patina. They can roll and chip. They can get ugly as all getout. But, I have never seen a Fiddleback fail to perform a task it was built to perform, and I have never seen or heard of the forge denying a reasonable request for warranty. They know what they are working with and stand by it.

Point 3: Some customers can be hard to deal with. This is me. It may or may not be you. I have been in situations where I was just not happy with a knife and wanted to try something else. I have been in situations where I felt like I was clashing with Fiddleback Forge and I have gotten into public and private spats with employees and with customers. But, that is the way it is with people. Andy, at every turn, when things have settled, has let bygones be bygones and even personally apologized in cases where no apology was necessary. If you are going to judge a person or a company based on how they respond to conflict over time, then you will be pleased with the way they have handled themselves with customers and visitors here who are often hard to please. I know that these issues have caused them to think about throwing in the hat from time to time. But they don't, and we don't want them to. Being able to look past the noise and keep building a solid product is an admirable trait and one we all benefit from here.

Point 4: Apprenticeship and employment. Andy and crew constantly provide work to folks who do not mind putting in a days work. He pays his apprentices and they gain employment as well as skills. Sometimes, it is learn as you go. I have never seen Fiddleback shame an employee or teach in a punitive way. Not everyone is cut out to be a knifemaker, but I believe that many people have been given the chance to try. Of those that do, some come out the other side and grow professionally beyond the shop. I don't have access to the books, but I would guess that Fiddleback's commitment in this capacity has at times come directly out of Andy's pocket. I have seen knifemakers abandon the approach and work only for themselves. That is their right and at times that is the correct approach to this tough business. But, that is not what I have seen here. There may come a day that it becomes a one man show again. Until then, I know that is not the intent nor the way they want it to be. I respect someone who is committed to building a business that also serves the purpose of spreading knowledge about a craft.

Point 5: These last two will be short. I enjoy checking in here and making connections with you inglorious, unrepentant rascals.

Point 6: It is a solid American-made product. and a fine one at that.

A few of my favorites throughout the years are shown below. Many have moved on, as was right at the time. I still enjoy their memory and the adventures that came with them.

2fmsiRf.jpg

H92kctR.jpg

IlyWLT8.jpg

etaOguf.jpg

ZzjWAvs.jpg

wgB9cdC.jpg

C7LT3Av.jpg

zXTRQEn.jpg

xoV3cVm.jpg

For these reasons and more, I believe in Fiddleback Forge.

I hope a few years down the line they are still here making knives. To ensure that is so, keep supporting them as you can. If you are new here, give one a try on a Friday Sale. This isn't charity: you get value in the product. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:
Great post! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and pictures with us.

It's been a little slow around here lately, but a lot the regulars seem to be hanging around. I had a whole post planned for this camping trip that we were going to take, but we got rained out and spent the weekend mostly indoors. I'll be out this weekend fishing, foraging, and helping with a hunt, and plan on taking some pictures for a little "weekend adventures trip report".

We lost a bunch of people to the lack of TapATalk access, but it is what it is.

Fiddleback will have my continued support, whether it's buying knives, spreading the word, or just BSing on the forums. I honestly find it hard to even think about buying knives from makers other than those in the "Fiddleback Group". I don't have a ton of extra funds to spend on knives, and when I do I'd rather spend it on a Fiddleback (or relative, Surls, Osprey, etc.) than a maker than I don't have any experience with. I know there are a ton, TON, of exceptional makers out there, but every time I handle a "non-Fiddleback" I find myself comparing...

I'm kinda speechless reading this thread. Thank you PT. Its been such an honor to have had the level of success I have had here on the forum with this crowd of folks. I can't explain it in a worthy way. I am glad about each of your six points, but I am especially proud of employing people, and teaching knifemaking. The meeting was an amazing opportunity to teach this process to a LOT of people. I hope it helped a lot of folks. Next up on the teaching horizon is Trackrock. Man, if y'all are close by, don't miss Trackrock. This is a great thing that Carl has done. I'm glad he still lets me help out.

Y'all mean the world to me. I'm always honored when we get to meet.

I've been hanging out here for almost 2 years, and rarely contribute because I am not much of a social person. That being said I would like to add a reason to support Fiddleback Forge. They support the military and veterans-I've seen them do this in 2 very important ways:

1. They employ veterans. Thank you to both Chris and Cody for their service, and thank you to Fiddleback Forge for giving them an opportunity post service.
2. They offer a 10% discount to all military/veterans on any purchase made directly from them.

Any company which gets the importance of the sacrifices made by those who serve and gives back to them deserves our support.

And yes I am a veteran, and also the proud parent of an active duty sailor.

Andy

Thanks Jarrett, for this post. You sir are one of the first that reached out to a new guy, now more than a year ago. I stumbled upon the fiddleback Forge experience by reading an article/interview about/with Andy. The thing I came away with was here is this guy that seems interested in making beautiful and functional knives that fit hands better than most, take a fair amount of use and abuse, and last. Looking around the web I finally came to the website only to find that FF doesn't take orders. I left it like that for a few months and eventually came across Blade Forums and soon discovered the phenomenon of the Friday sale. I watched for a good many Fridays before I actually jumped in and got my first and still favorite Esquire. That was a small but important experience. As it "broke the ice" for me. Like drewway, I'm not much of a social media person. That being said I found a level of integrity that I had not imagined or expected. As Odaon pointed out the knife makers that have been apprenticed/mentored by Andy are all first class people as well as extraordinary craftsmen in their own right. I own a good many of most of them. I didn't set out to meet friends on the internet. Hell I didn't even set out to collect knives. Today, I have well over 60 knives. More important though I've met a good many genuinely good folks because of Andys vision, who have an extraordinary level of integrity that is virtually unheard of in the worldwide web. There's a guy who sent thousands of dollars of FF knives to a virtual stranger so that person could make an informed choice/ purchase. There's people that send me knives before I send funds! Those are just a few examples of hundreds and this post is getting too long. Suffice to say "I'm In", for the long haul. Thanks Andy, Phillip, Allen, Chris and all the people who put this labors to their fine, uncommon, phenomenon and enterprise. One day I'll make it to Georgia to show my gratitude in person.

Last edited:
I haven't been around as much lately, and I think by now I've told pretty much everyone why so I won't rehash that lol. But my belief in Fiddleback Forge is no less now than it ever has been, if anything it's greater. I think it was about 9 years ago that the styling caught my attention. To me, on a forum where many of the more popular hand made knives were sort of hard for me to visually distinguish from modified Old Hickory knives, Andy's sense of style and sex appeal stood out very much. So initially it was his unique aesthetics that drew me in. Then, getting to check them out in person and realizing the curves weren't just for looks, the ergonomics got my attention. Some of the hand made user handles I had tried up to that point, either felt like holding a narrow plank in my hand, or worse a smooth dowel rod. After that getting to put the original Bushfinger through the ringer let me see first hand just how well the knives were made, I really loved Andy's shallow convex grind and how it cut so well. But I also go to see just how solid built the knives were. And all of that combined illustrated to me a lot more effort in producing a high quality user-friendly tool than I had seen previously in the user knife market. Since then I have enjoyed watching all of the times Andy has upped his game and increased the style and sex appeal of the knives through varied designs, configurations, and handle materials, without sacrificing the quality along the way. With the damage I've done to my ankle with the stress fracture and torn tendons, my life has been a lot more urbanized than I would prefer lately...as uneven terrain is seriously a bitch for me to negotiate at the moment, hell I had tears streaming down my cheeks when I stumbled off the curb crossing Peachtree Street the other night going to a meeting at the Hyatt in Atlanta, but I still had my Esquire that I edc daily regardless of what other knives I may have on me. Lol, if I'm carrying a knife in downtown Atlanta and Centennial Park at 2 am, it's definitely going to be one I believe in, but when I'm attending a business meeting over dinner at Polaris before the late night walk, it also has to have the class I need it to have there. To me, that is a niche in my carry preferences that Andy takes care of very well.

Last edited:
I've been hanging out here for almost 2 years, and rarely contribute because I am not much of a social person. That being said I would like to add a reason to support Fiddleback Forge. They support the military and veterans-I've seen them do this in 2 very important ways:

1. They employ veterans. Thank you to both Chris and Cody for their service, and thank you to Fiddleback Forge for giving them an opportunity post service.
2. They offer a 10% discount to all military/veterans on any purchase made directly from them.

Any company which gets the importance of the sacrifices made by those who serve and gives back to them deserves our support.

Andy

It is my honor to support veterans. My family has a long history of military service. I didn't serve, and I almost regret it. Though, its hard to regret anything when I look at Leah and those girls.

I have been lurking around here for the last few months. Finally met Andy and the gang two weeks ago at the Ga knifemakers guild build off.
Great bunch of people.
Don't own a fiddleback yet but looking forward to getting one soon as I see these knives as lifelong works of art that I can leave to my sons someday.

Andres

While the knives are spectacular, this is more than the knives. it is a close knit community- held together by the personalities at FF.

I have owned FF knives for years, many came through my hands and passed on to others. I have owned custom knives from numerous makers, all of excellent materials and very well made. When I pick up my FF knives, it is like coming home from a vacation and slipping in my own bed. Just a quiet comfort and sense of being in the right place.

These intangibles are what separate just another tool from a well loved treasure. When you find something that clicks, you learn to go with it.

Bill

Andy

WRT the veterans piece, I couldn't agree more. Generally, I'm pretty cold hearted, but I have a huge soft spot for veterans.

The men I served with were among the most dedicated, principled, selfless, and hard working people I've had the pleasure of working with. All military service has its hardships. I greatly appreciate those who recognize and appreciate what our service men and women do.

I didn't know about the 10% discount or effort to employ vets. Nice touch with both measures.

The gentlemen above have pretty much summed up why many of us come back day after day, week to week to keep up with the happenings of Andy and crew. I have slowed down in both knife buying and online activity during the past year thanks to adult life, but I still check in regularly to read what is going on and what is being created each week.

God willing, I will be featured some day on one of those hoarding shows with stacks of Fiddlebacks littered across the floor mingled with cereal boxes and beer cans.

It has been so very easy to design a knife and make sheaths for Andy's work. He is always about passing on his knowledge and spreading the wealth. I have been so honored to simply be a small part of the family here.

Jason

Back