Why is Google afraid of knives ( google shopping ads)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Google bans all sorts of knives from google shopping ads, I find it hilarious that the reasoning is " to keep people safe" yet they allow many dangerous items and tools on there ( like chainsaws, pestisides, etc).

What I found is that its pretty easy to get around this rule, because there's still thousands of scaaaary knives on there but the policy IS there and it IS rediculous.

Actually, lots of other sites outright ban them as well like offerup, mecari, etc all the while allowing other dangerous items to be sold.

Its all so hypocritical and plain ignorant.

You are looking at the problem from the wrong angle. You presume Google or any other search engine cares about the results. However all they really care about is the laws of the countries in which that traffic might be routing through. Now do they care about doing a really good job on knives, no probably not, they have better things to spend their time on. But what they do need is a certain level of plausible deniability for when the get a complaint from a certain government. The system they currently have means that they can say "we are doing our best to reduce the number of searches, but eliminating them all would be impossible"
That having all been said, I have found that I never have trouble with searches, and can pretty much always find what I need, if the other end wants to be searched. In fact its more common for domain owners to have either intentionally or accidentally prevented google cataloging for reasons which I cannot begin to wonder about.

As an aside, I tried to find the policy which you speak of, and I cannot find it, in fact their stated policy is to only block searches where asked, by applicable authority or content owner.
The internet is a complex system, always keep that in mind before ascribing motive to an action that may be incidental.

Well, their wording is where I ascertain their motives. They claim they want to keep people safe, not worry about laws. Even so, if it was the laws they cared about, they would not allow way more knives than they do, because many places ban most knives outright. They also have zero issues with having other goods that are illegal in other places on google shopping..such as plastic cups, which are illegal in a few places.

Here is the link https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/6150004?hl=en

here is a snippit:

Our policy
Google wants to help keep people safe both online and offline, so we don’t allow the promotion of some products that cause damage, harm, or injury.

Dangerous knives
no_good.gif
Knives that are designed or promoted (in modern-day usage) as products that can be used to injure an opponent in sport, self-defense, or combat. Any knife design that provides a confrontational advantage (including disguised appearance or assisted-opening mechanism)
  • Examples: Switchblades, fighting knives, sword-canes, balisongs, military knives, push daggers, throwing axes

as you can see, they are against knives with " self defense" in the title, which means Google hates people to be able to defend themselves.

There isn't a single phrase on t here that they care about any illegal items, they only want to lean extremely left on the subject and are TERRIEFIED of knives.

So, my point stands, Google are hypocrites because they ignorantly target knives, all the while have no issues with other dangerous items like chainsaws, screw drivers, hammers, all of which have been used as weapons, or maim people consistently whether on purpose or by accident.

Reactions: BJE
Oh boy, the world must be a terrifying place to you.

I suggest you stop ascribing motivations to people and accusing others of hypocrisy. If nothing else, it will reduce your stress level enormously.
In reality you are worrying about a minor service of Google's that helps them sell more ads. Its not like they block normal ad results, and as a private company, who they sell ads for, and for what, is entirely up to them. Gotta love that free market! Don't like it, there are ways to blacklist all Google services from your internet, might as well knock down all of AWS as well, since they are also evil for various reasons. I think maybe there are some usenets still operating, maybe you could host a webring.

Oh boy, the world must be a terrifying place to you.

I suggest you stop ascribing motivations to people and accusing others of hypocrisy. If nothing else, it will reduce your stress level enormously.
In reality you are worrying about a minor service of Google's that helps them sell more ads. Its not like they block normal ad results, and as a private company, who they sell ads for, and for what, is entirely up to them. Gotta love that free market! Don't like it, there are ways to blacklist all Google services from your internet, might as well knock down all of AWS as well, since they are also evil for various reasons. I think maybe there are some usenets still operating, maybe you could host a webring.

I gave evidence to Googles motivations, end of story.

Conspiratorial ideation is detrimental to mental health.
But that is besides the point. Why should anyone care what ads a company runs or products a marketplace sells?

Reading their exact policy and deducing a meaning is not conspiracy, nice try though.

Because this is a knife forum for those who love knives and I will call out any company who treats knife collectors, sellers and users unfairly.

Conspiratorial ideation is detrimental to mental health.
But that is besides the point. Why should anyone care what ads a company runs or products a marketplace sells?

Reading their exact policy and deducing a meaning is not conspiracy, nice try though.

Because this is a knife forum for those who love knives and I will call out any company who treats knife collectors, sellers and users unfairly.

This is a very good discussion.

slyraven, thank you for sharing the specifics on Google's policy about knives. And for calling them out for their "liberal" (in the US meaning) attitude.

gadgetgeek, I agree with you about a lot of "conspiratorial ideation" going around without any factual basis. People need to put their brain to use and seek for additional (and contradictory) information and apply some plausibility filters. Still, calling out Google is important because (like Facebook, ...) they are an information gatekeeper and their increasingly dominant position puts then in a position to disproportionally shape societal and political discourse and attitudes. Am I loosing sleep about this right now? Of course not, but it is normal to be somewhat concerned.

The conspiracy is that they are doing this against anyone. As though they don't want you to have knives, rather than the more likely cause is that in their market research, not selling those ads looses them a little money, but the public opinion on the sale of weapons costs them more long term. We don't come in to the equation at all. For example, they also restrict the advertising of medications and sex-toys.

These sorts of topics come up all the time. However what does not come up is, how this has an affect on anyone, and what should be done to address the policy. What is often brought up is a sensationalist title, and sky-is-falling rhetoric, designed to make an "us vs. them" debate. Its not helpful, or educational, and leads farther away from reasoned dialog.

I just Googled "Push dagger for sale".
LOTS of results immediately came back for the item that I cannot legally possess in Canada.
So many results, from reputable dealers with speedy shipping and great selection.

I have never had any trouble using Google to find leads on knives to buy.
I have had trouble finding money to spend on knives though...

I just Googled "Push dagger for sale".
LOTS of results immediately came back for the item that I cannot legally possess in Canada.
So many results, from reputable dealers with speedy shipping and great selection.

I have never had any trouble using Google to find leads on knives to buy.
I have had trouble finding money to spend on knives though...
The OP was talking specifically about a google ads program that allows stores to list their products directly into a Google portal, this gives them promoted searches at a price. As with all "sales intermediary" programs, there are rules, and the OP doesn't like that. Not sure if google shopping is available in Canada, I think it is, since its here in Aus, but to be honest, few retailers that I would buy from bother to use it. Its more restricted to big-box stores.

gadget of course I don't like idiotic rules, you can promote chainsaws and bug spray both of which are a danger to people in some capacity, but not a knife with " self defense" in the title

This is not a conspiracy as you call it, the policy is right there, they want to " protect" buyers, that's their whole motivation. I am merely calling out the hypocrisy of that statement, and the ignorance of trying to protect people from sccccaaary knives but not halogen bulbs that blow up in peoples faces.

You are attacking me and questioning my mental health for calling out Google, which I find interesting.

I'm not attacking you, I'm just suggesting that you are reading way to far into it. I'm just presenting an alternate explanation, as I don't see it the same way as you.
As to your mental health, I'll be clear. Hunting for conspiracies is bad for the human brain. Has nothing to do with how you are now, or will be in the future, I don't know you. You seemed steamed up about it, and maybe I read that wrong. If you want to find something to be mad about, that's fine. It seemed to me that you were viewing it as some level of conspiracy, but if all you care about is hypocrisy, cool. I have other things to worry about.
All rules are hypocritical at some point, stretch the logic far enough, they all snap.
So with all that said, why should anyone care?

gadgetgeek, I now better understand your point. Sure, a company can impose all sorts of rules and proihibitions for a variety of reasons (including their own whimsical wants). Still...

So with all that said, why should anyone care?

This is a forum about knife collectors/makers/enthusiasts/fanatics. If we don't care, then who will! :D

I understand that there is a stress involved with conspiracy theories, however, this is not a conspiracy theory and I am unsure why you keep saying that. The policy is clearly written and its reasoning. Sure, I am using a bit of hyperbole when saying they are terrified of knives, but the point still stands that they are being extremely hypocritical. I never once said they didn't have a right to do so.

I care because being apathetic about these things is how things get even worse. When you have Google making a blanket statement about knives, it will certainly influence people and even law makers, and give the feeling that somehow knives are bad and need to be constantly banned or regulated. How much longer before Google decides to erase any search regarding knives? How extreme do they wish to be?

I care because google shopping still generates billions of dollars of sales and its completely unfair to hard working knife dealers that they are left out just because Google wants to be extremely liberal with their policy, and fear monger to people.

I care because I value knives and the usefulness and history and for the love of them.

You can disagree, but you are creating strawmen ( that I am being a conspiracy theorist).

Alright. a couple of last points. This is one department of google, not Google as a search company. The policy only effects paid ad promotion. Google may in fact decide to restrict searches, and has in the past. It has cost them customers, so they tend not to. That said, they could, and a competitor could come in. Is there a problem with how much influence just a few companies have on the internet, yes, there is.
Is it unfair to knife stores that would likely not pay for extra ads, maybe, but then again, its also unfair to all the adult stores that are in the same situation.
You are seeming to insist that they are taking this position for political reasons, and I'm suggesting that they are not. I'm doing my best not to collect straw. Clearly your argument is confusing to me.
My working definition of conspiracy theory: an idea or set of ideas which lead to the belief that a group of people is acting with a nefarious and hidden motive. Maybe your definition is different. But by your words "they want to fear monger" while they claim "to protect the public" that is by my definition, a conspiracy. So that's why I'm saying it.

Is there a problem with google in general? many. Do I see a restriction in their ad sales to be worthy of my energy? no.

Google bans all sorts of knives from google shopping ads, I find it hilarious that the reasoning is " to keep people safe" yet they allow many dangerous items and tools on there Xender Discord Omegle ( like chainsaws, pestisides, etc).

What I found is that its pretty easy to get around this rule, because there's still thousands of scaaaary knives on there but the policy IS there and it IS rediculous.

Actually, lots of other sites outright ban them as well like offerup, mecari, etc all the while allowing other dangerous items to be sold.

Its all so hypocritical and plain ignorant.
All that will change when the aliens invade.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back