why is the 0566 2nd rate?

Does anyone know if the assist spring can be removed on these types of knives. Does the OA use a detent, or would one need to be drilled?

Thanks!

The knife I am most excited about is the 0566, more than the 0888 or 0600(not for me), or even the 0801CF. The 0566 will probably be the return of ZT to my pocket. The 0454 does nothing for me at all, but this cheaper steel frame lock in ELMAX is the beater I have been waiting for. I'm gonna regrind it and use it like I stole it and know that it can take a beating, and if it cant it wasn't expensive.

And this knife isn't a worse 0561, its a way, way better Cryo.

This and the 0770CF are solid homerun users from a company I was worried was only gonna make boutique folders in small numbers.

I look forward to more designs along these lines.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the assist spring can be removed on these types of knives. Does the OA use a detent, or would one need to be drilled?

Thanks!

It is already drilled for a detent. Also it can be used flipper only if you take the assist out.

Thanks!

Since Kershaw/ZT has mentioned recently their wanting to make knives more adaptable to the end user, it wouldn't surprise me if it came with a detent. Regardless, the 0566 is going to be a big seller for them, and I'm looking forward to getting one or two of these in my hands. This knife is very well spec'd out for my use.

edit: Steely beat me to it, and I blame his lack of proper sentence structure for his quick reply. :D

Jimmer has confirmed in another thread that they are HOPING to provide the 0566 and the 0770cf with detent holes drilled so the assist can be removed. They have to make sure the knife functions correctly in either mode before they will commit.

What!? So I shouldn't have this 0801 in my pocket!? Aw poo...
Carry what you want, I wasn't making a statement about what size knives other people should buy/like/carry, only what I am currently preferring.

That's kind of a silly move. It kind of says that you were partially trolling. That's not very nice.

Of course I don't say that in a derogatory way. :P
True enough. I really only meant to pique interest, not insult. I didn't expect so much upset over it. I'll be more careful in the future.

Well, keep in mind that the 0550 is a different design than the 0560. The 0560 was modeled after the XM-18 with Rick's spearpoint grind. The 0550 is a version of his "Camp Knife" design. If you do a quick search, you'll find it, and see that the 0550 is pretty close to it. So, it's worth noting that the 0550 was not a smaller or cheaper version of the 0560, especially since the 0551 was the very first Hinderer design that ZT produced. The spirit of each design is very different, and in being so, translate to very different pieces.
I definitely didn't know that, thanks. My revised viewpoint on the ZT/Hinderer collaborations definitely matches your final sentence. Well phrased.

I still wish the 0566 was going to be Ti w/out AO and I'd be willing to pay a little more for that, but I'm no longer confused or disappointed in what it IS going to be, based on a false assumption that it was failing to live up to a standard it was never actually supposed to.

Since Kershaw/ZT has mentioned recently their wanting to make knives more adaptable to the end user, it wouldn't surprise me if it came with a detent. Regardless, the 0566 is going to be a big seller for them, and I'm looking forward to getting one or two of these in my hands. This knife is very well spec'd out for my use.

edit: Steely beat me to it, and I blame his lack of proper sentence structure for his quick reply. :D
That is probably an accurate assessment :D.

Even though I was one of those few who posted ZT's are priced higher than my comfort zone in the other thread -- the 566 is very high on my interest list and if the $120 street price is real, within my budget.
It's also one I really like the looks of (I also like the 560 a LOT, but it's too big for me to pocket carry it much)

I can't decide between the 0566 and the 0801
I think I like the look of the 0566 more
But I like that the 0801 has bearings and isn't assisted..
Darn options!

Had the ZT560 and it was a sweet blade, just too big for my edc so I'm pretty pumped about this one! The added assist is pretty cool and it would be nice to see a non assist version come out as well, though I'm not sweating it if it doesn't. This knife is at the top of my want list right now!

I wouldn't say it's second class, it's obvious that a major focus of this knife was to bring a ZT knife out at a much lower price point and naturally that means finding ways to not just downsize but produce the knife cheaper. For those that really wanted a mini-560 clone obviously that's going to be a bit disappointing, however for every one of those there's probably 10 that are excited to get a ZT at what will probably be under $150 street, if it really hits $120 street price that will be pretty impressive.

It kept the same blade steel a huge plus, the Ti handle slab really has no advantages aside bling factor except a bit of weight which I doubt too many ZT owners are overly concerned with. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but using steel should have allowed them to make a significantly thinner handle with the same strength, especially combined with the thinner blade stock. However, with the handle appearing to have a blocky style like the 0550 it may not feel that way even if it is thinner. I'm fine without the bearing pivot, when it's clean it's amazing, but use it in the field in some fine dust/sand for a week or two and it needs a total tear down where plain bushings usually fair much better longer. The mall ninja's will love the assisted opening.

Well I just preordered mine, so apparently 6 hours is enough for me to get over the lack of bearings and the AO. Who knew....

Hopefully this knife will be a solid introduction to ZT for me. I know what I want for my bday now...

The goal of the 0566 was to get it into as many hands as possible. If you had the KVT and the titanium lock side, you would raise the MSRP, which means higher street prices and you're less likely to get people to buy it at that "high" of a price. You need to realize that the people on BladeForums are somewhat of a minority. There are people outside of BladeForums that are Kershaw/ZT fans and KAI can't just make knives that would attract to us. They need to find a happy medium with fans all over. I think they did a great job with the 0566.

Like what's already been said up above, who knows, they MIGHT release a version with KVT and a titanium lockside.

Do you really think KVT would have raised the manufacturing costs significantly? I would think the extra routing for the torsion bar on the assisted opening 0566 would offset any cost of the bearing washers and oversized holes required to fit them. And I would also think the rexford is a pretty good example of them being able to offer KVT and full titanium at a competitive price. Certainly not the price that it will be with steel though. Honestly though for me, I would have ordered one if it had the KVT. And I would have shaved .25" off the tip to make it legal in my area. But I definitely see why many are excited for the knife. I wish I wasnt so picky.

Last edited:
Do you really think KVT would have raised the manufacturing costs significantly? I would think the extra routing for the torsion bar on the assisted opening 0566 would offset any cost of the bearing washers and oversized holes required to fit them. And I would also think the rexford is a pretty good example of them being able to offer KVT and full titanium at a competitive price. Certainly not the price that it will be with steel though. Honestly though for me, I would have ordered one if it had the KVT. And I would have shaved .25" off the tip to make it legal in my area. But I definitely see why many are excited for the knife. I wish I wasnt so picky.
I certainly don't think it would raise the cost significantly, but everything adds up. A little bit here and a little bit there can add up to a lot down the road.

I believe Jimmer has said in a few other threads (0770 ones IIRC) that assisted knives are way more popular than bearings and likened it to automatic vs manual transmission cars. The minority are the vocal enthusiasts.

I love assisted opening. The only reason I don't carry a full auto even in MD is because I can't find anywhere to buy one. Assisted opening is as close as I can get, so I am dang well gonna carry it.

I can manage with unassisted, and often carry an unass.ed knife because I have many and like the variety. But if I could have every knife I own with the KAI/Onion assist, I would. It is a simple matter to subdue the opening if you're in "polite" company you don't want to scare (or arrest you).

Most cities around me are 3 inch or shorter but they vary so wildly from city to city that I don't care anymore. I carry what I want. My knives are tools not weapons. Just like a hammer or baseball bat. My weapon is the gun on my hip for defense and protection.

Most cities around me are 3 inch or shorter but they vary so wildly from city to city that I don't care anymore. I carry what I want. My knives are tools not weapons. Just like a hammer or baseball bat. My weapon is the gun on my hip for defense and protection.
Where are you located in Michigan? I've never looked up the legal carry limit, but I could really care less.

Back