Why is the Cruwear Stretch XL so much more than the Military 2 with basically the same materials?

JTR357

Gold Member
They're pretty much the same size too. The Military has the compression lock & the Stretch has the basic backlock. The Military has micarta & the Stretch has G10. If anything, I would think the Stretch would be cheaper. I'm just confused about this. I'm not knocking Spyderco or anything. I have more Spydercos than any other knife brand. Can someone please enlighten me?

An important distinction to make is that you’re talking about the Military 2 and not the original model..

Pricing isn’t always materials and margin based. Also a factor could be economy of scale. If they make (or plan to make) 2 or 3 times the number of military 2 knives in cruwear, the price goes down. Considering the common parts group among how many SKUs (liners and hardware for black G10, blurple G10, camo, satin/DLC, etc).. cost could lower.

My guess is that they’re making so many liners and buying so much of the same hardware that the micarta scales and blade end up driving most of the cost. I think the grey g10 stretch is a one SKU deal.

Pricing isn’t always materials and margin based. Also a factor could be economy of scale. If they make (or plan to make) 2 or 3 times the number of military 2 knives in cruwear, the price goes down. Considering the common parts group among how many SKUs (liners and hardware for black G10, blurple G10, camo, satin/DLC, etc).. cost could lower.

My guess is that they’re making so many liners and buying so much of the same hardware that the micarta scales and blade end up driving most of the cost. I think the grey g10 stretch is a one SKU deal.
Makes sense. Thanks. I'd be all over the Stretch XL if the prices were reversed. I've never been a fan of the Military.

Country of manufacture plays a role as well. Cost of manufacturing in Japan has gone up quite a bit the past few years, especially when you consider that the blade material has to be shipped over there.

Country of manufacture plays a role as well. Cost of manufacturing in Japan has gone up quite a bit the past few years, especially when you consider that the blade material has to be shipped over there.
THIS ^^^
Golden knives are better value than Japanese knives. There are plenty of G10 / VG10 Seki models that cost $200 or more.

You could say Seki models are a less good value, but I look at a model such the Police 4 LW that sure may be frn scaled and vg10 so not quite as "premium" as other knives, but then you have to ask yourself is there any other knife out there even like it that costs less? I don't even see a knife as good as it that costs more when you get one in hand it's just magic, a quality that can't be measured- it just cuts so well, feels like an extension of your hand, and also carries as well and just has that "it" factor. Which can also be said of other Spydercos. Plus I love I can slice a freaking loaf of bread on the go with the P4.

Back