Why is your 2nd a 2nd?

I still haven't been able to discern what made this an Ugly Betty. Maybe something lurking underneath the coating?

Last edited:
I have a few old Factory 2nd 3.5's in 20cv that had a few minor scratches on the finish. A 5.0 Factory 2nd that I still can't find what was wrong with it. I have a Gen 2 5.1 in 3v that is a factory 2nd and it just looks like the coating isn't smooth at the belly of one side of the blade. I traded a Factory 2nd 4.7 in 20cv and couldn't find a thing wrong with it. The Factory 2nd's are great for guys that are planning to use them. Stick a Factory 1st in some wood for 5 minutes and it'll have more blemishes than a Factory 2nd direct from the factory.

Here is my factory 2nd . It's my old GSO 5 and my very first Survive knife . I "can" see what makes mine a 2nd . However ........... my deal with Guy was that I would not make it known . So unless Guy drops in and says it's ok , that's all I'll say about it . It doesn't affect it's ability in any way . It's actually one of my top two knives I have ever owned and it's here to stay lol . And so starts a true Survive Knives mystery ;)

42670dad-9413-4404-a8ca-86e87335e2af_zpssvn53zco.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Got my 5.1 20cv fac 2nd.

The only thing I can find is a very small pit thet looked like it didnt get removed with surface grinding.

Thats all I can find.

If you can post a pic or explain why you think your second is a second.

That would be a "first" for most knife companies.

Uneven plunge on the 4.7 I used to have. Easily noticeable by turning the edge to face you and looking towards the spine sighting down the plunge line. Not that it made any difference in everyday use or cutting ability, still too thick behind the edge to be considered a great cutter.

My 3.5 came with an actual slug on the blade. Kidding, kidding. I tried taking a pic of the finish blemishes when I got it, but I couldn't get them to show up. This random pic shows tiny spot-marks between the slug and the blade edge.
l1PkILs.png

My 5 has an uneven grind. This was the blemish I hoped I would never get in a factory second for weird OCD reasons, but I can't tell at all unless I hold the blade exactly like this and squint one eye.
78KVwBz.png

Well Silver Needle , you and I have always had the same affection for our GSO 5's and it seems we also have the same 2nd's issue LOL . Only mine is on the other side from your's .

Back when I got mine Guy didn't want to let them out that way . As a matter of fact because the one I have had the uneven grind he didn't lazer it (because he didn't intend letting it out of the shop) . I had called on a Monday morning to grab one of the seconds I had seen on the sight over the weekend , but he told me they had all sold . I was pretty disappointed and asked if there wasn't just one forgotten one or ugly one in some corner of the shop that he could put some scales and a sheath with and sell me . Nice guy that he is , Guy went to take a look . He comes back on the phone and says he only has ONE blade in the whole shop . a GSO 5 , but that it had come out too badly to sell it , so he had not even engraved the logo or flag on it . I told him I didn't care about any of that . The knife was NOT going to be a show piece or a safe queen , that I intended to take it out and beat the pi$$ out of it anyway . And .................. I told him I'd never post or say anything about it's flaw , and I didn't . Well till now , because it seems the demand for his great knives has meant he needs to sell every one to keep up .

So forgive me Guy , but it seemed the cat was already out of the bag lol .

And THAT'S how I got into Survive Knives . What great people Guy and |Ellie both are .

As for my old GSO 5 , it still gets a beating every chance I get ;)

Mike, that 5 you have has quite the story. It's like it was an Ugly Betty before it was even a thing.

Keep enjoying it!

Yeah it does have a bit of a story to it and because of that I'll most likely never part with it . Besides , I like it too much lol

At the time I bought it Guy even offered that if I ever sent it in to be sharpened he'd engrave it for me . But I want to keep it as it is . I know what it is and it being different than probably any other knife that came out of his shop makes it all the more interesting I think .

So she'll stay the original "Ugly Betty" :D

My schedule gives me a lot of free time in the day so since the beginning of the Monday sales on the 2cd gens I was front and center picking up a few[?]-LOL.
Anyways my favorite 2cds are the 4.7 and 2.7 that were made prior to the factory 2cd logo under the flag as they both had micarta scale flaws that I ended up just swapping to a matching set of camo g-10 and the cosmetic flaws were fixed. Honestly you would never know they are 2cds, great knives as usual.

Back