Why no 4" Hold Out II?

MatthewSB

Gold Member
The 4" Hold Out II was such a great knife. Symmetrical handle was comfortable in any grip, and it was extremely light for a 4" blade with a small footprint in the pocket because of the simple handle. The later version in XHP had thinner scales, didn't fill the hand as well but it was even better for pocket comfort and the XHP definately stayed sharp longer.

The new 3" Hold Out III in S35vn is so well made that I bought several of them. The quality is perfect, and it carries perfectly because it is so small, light and flat. The S35VN is ground perfectly and holds an edge well.

It would be great if Cold Steel would start making 4" Hold Outs again. In S35VN it would be an incredible EDC.

I agree completely. I like the design of the Hold-Out, but the 3" is too small for my liking, and the 6" is too big for my liking. I think the 4" might be perfect (but only with a plain edge).

+1 for me, too. I have the wee one in AUS-8, like it a lot, but really liked the 4-inch version, too, but just didn't get around to buying one. When I heard they were coming back, I thought, "Great! Now's my chance!" Oh, but they only came back in small and giant. Maybe one of these days...

yep 4" holdout was always my favorite. I was kinda shocked they didn't remake it as well as the others. if they remade it I'd buy a couple, long as it's made as it was.....

yep 4" holdout was always my favorite. I was kinda shocked they didn't remake it as well as the others. if they remade it I'd buy a couple, long as it's made as it was.....

I would definitely be in for 4 of them - I'm not sure I'd ever carry anything else, and I'd want extras as spares and for spare parts knowing how companies and models they produce come and go. I absolutely loved the handle and ease of carry of my 4" AUS8 HOII but got sick of having to constantly touch up the edge to keep it sharp.

I agree completely. I like the design of the Hold-Out, but the 3" is too small for my liking, and the 6" is too big for my liking. I think the 4" might be perfect (but only with a plain edge).

I just ordered a 6" plain edge to try. I had one in hand years ago, and it felt ridiculous, but I can see where a folding pocket sword could be neat to have.

I just ordered a 6" plain edge to try. I had one in hand years ago, and it felt ridiculous, but I can see where a folding pocket sword could be neat to have.
I dont have a 6 holdout but got other xl cold steels and they are kinda silly lookin, but don't feel too bad using....but seems 5" blade would be better on the handle size side for a hold out. I'd buy one of those too......

I dont have a 6 holdout but got other xl cold steels and they are kinda silly lookin, but don't feel too bad using....but seems 5" blade would be better on the handle size side for a hold out. I'd buy one of those too......

Yeah I think the handle on the 6" bladed HO is just under 7", which is about an inch deeper than any pocket I've ever had. A 5" blade with 6" handle would be more sensible.

Back